• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosplayers and Comics

59 posts in this topic

The only negative that I have of cosplay is when they jam up aisles and create huge traffic jams in ill-chosen places.

It is not fair that everyone in an entire aisle has to shut down so Jimbo ConGoer can get the perfect shot of Moose Knuckle Green Lantern.

I've haven't been to a con in a long time, and then it was just Megacon Orlando when it was still fairly new, but I'm surprised the bigger con's haven't set aside an area specifically for cosplayers to congregate and do photos.

Cosplayers also want to check out the show and shop and whatnot. I doubt most of them just want to be penned up with each other over in the corner.

A smart convention layout would have small spaces between booths every 5 booths or so just for aisle relief and possible photo-taking. But, I know, that means two less tables per side or something, less money, praise be to the $ sign, all hail the almighty dollar.

:whistle:

-slym

Edited out my comments about cosplayers. I don't want the drama again.

Don't worry if you think you might offend me, I did ask in the first place didn't I? Being a cosplayer myself, I am very aware of how idiotic others in the community can be however I would like to say that the worst of something is always the loudest representation but never the accurate one? If I opened a reverse of this thread on a cosplay board I am sure much of the negative "comic book guy" stereotype would be perpetuated as well.

Ultimately, I hope to be a positive bridge here between cosplay and comic collecting and hopefully ease some of you with more negative opinions!

I was also hoping this thread might bring out some cool stories about selling a great comic to a fan dressed as said character. (as was the case with me getting the 189 and a good deal of bronze age Scarecrow appearances that con)

There are 2 types of Cosplayers. The ones who make legitimate attempts at making a good costume, and the ones who think that cleavage is a costume.

I'm not trying to complain, just an observation.

Or maybe Vancouver is just awesome. I don't know.

There are 2 types of Cosplayers. The ones who make legitimate attempts at making a good costume, and the ones who think that cleavage is a costume.

I'm not trying to complain, just an observation.

Or maybe Vancouver is just awesome. I don't know.

Cleavage is definitely the best costume of all :insane:

Well I have not had cleavage showing in most of them..unless it was a fantasy costume or a pirate costume I think I did a pretty cleavag-y Morgan La Fey costume.

Black Cat,Star Trek,Super Girl and Harley Quinn are not at all low cut..

If I ever had a Power Girl costume she has the cleavage showing window..

But one of my friends is always Power girl.or Poison Ivy.so.I wouldn't do the same thing.

But I mean in general..I am not taping my boobs down..

I like seeing the costumes for the most part. Amazing what people come up with. I'll say what others have said the traffic is silly because of it.

I also think some of it has turned into attention obsessed women (who most of them probably do not even care about comics) and pervs following them around oggling them acting like they have never seen a woman before. You can always tell who they are because they just post up in a high traffic area and just stand there.The funny thing is the women are rarely very hot anyway but the guys go crazy lol. Whatever feeds your self esteem I guess.

Pushy obnoxious people come in all shapes and sizes. Cosplayers do not have a monopoly on this but for God's sake stop posing for pictures right in front of the escalator when 100+ people are waiting to get on it.

There are Jerk-holes who cram up the middle of the aisles out of costume as well. Tons of them... I think that the cos-players get a bad rap for this because they garner more attention / photos.

But of you pay attention at NYCC I was held up just as much by families and friends figuring out where they were and where they were going to go... in the middle of an aisle vs just going to the side to figure it out.

And at 1 point there were a bunch of guys in suits (maybe 6) that just stopped in the middle of the aisle at every aisle to appraise the layout of the con.... maybe they were con-organizers or something, but it was annoying and messed up traffic. And that was on Thursday when people could move around a little.

My 2c

1) When it comes to cosplay, if you don't want the negative attention don't get dressed up (or barely as the case may be) as a character, leaving yourself exposed for leering perverts. i.e. Rather than go as a nearly naked Poison Ivy maybe pick something along the lines of Lois Lane. DC went through a number of different styles with her. You could even go so far as to pick a specific one from the cover of a book and carry a copy with you to hold up for photo opps. For that matter, why do we never see anyone cosplay a character like Rachel Van Helsing from Tomb of Dracula? Why does it always seem to be the same scantily clad characters over and over?

2) Over the last (almost) three decades I've set up at countless conventions. In all that time I don't recall ever selling a single book to anyone wearing a costume. Not one. I have had plenty of people in costumes block my table for taking pictures followed by conversations detailing how they made their costume. From a dealer's perspective it's inconsiderate beyond belief to do this. Dealers are there to make money and can't do that if you're camped out blocking accessibility to their table space.

3) If you have tentacles, wings or other protrusions as part of your costume do everyone a favor. Take them off before trying to walk through the dealer area. There's too much potential for problems, best to just avoid it.

4) There was a post about a guy dressed as Spider-Man hopping onto an empty table as someone was breaking down their booth. This one's pretty simple. Don't. Suppose any number of things happens and you cause a display wall to crash. Who's paying for that? The table breaks. Who pays for that? You injure yourself or someone else. Again, who pays for it? However cool you think it might be, it's not. Screwing around like that in proximity to a dealer's merchandise is completely and utterly unacceptable. You didn't pay for the booth space, they did and it's not a prop/playground/backdrop for your photo opp.

5) I have a friend who's been into costuming since before the term cosplay existed. He and the guys he works with have done props for a couple of studios, they do really high quality work. They also have the sense to make sure to be considerate of the other attendees at all times.

there were a LOT of hot Broads Cosplaying at NYCC this year.

it was AWESOME!

Wow 1940's man makes an appearance

Thanks 1940's man..

You're welcome!

Did the Dames have nice Gams? I'm all about the Gams. :luhv:

You got me all worked up, I think I'll go take a powder... :blush:

Pushy obnoxious people come in all shapes and sizes. Cosplayers do not have a monopoly on this but for God's sake stop posing for pictures right in front of the escalator when 100+ people are waiting to get on it.

Or in front of a dealer's booth who has paid for his spot and is trying to sell some comics or whatever he/she happens to sell. Might be nice if customers could actually get to the product.

Well I have not had cleavage showing in most of them..unless it was a fantasy costume or a pirate costume I think I did a pretty cleavag-y Morgan La Fey costume.

Black Cat,Star Trek,Super Girl and Harley Quinn are not at all low cut..

If I ever had a Power Girl costume she has the cleavage showing window..

But one of my friends is always Power girl.or Poison Ivy.so.I wouldn't do the same thing.

But I mean in general..I am not taping my boobs down..

We need pics of these costumes you and your friends wear.

(:

-slym

I like seeing the costumes for the most part. Amazing what people come up with. I'll say what others have said the traffic is silly because of it.

I also think some of it has turned into attention obsessed women (who most of them probably do not even care about comics) and pervs following them around oggling them acting like they have never seen a woman before. You can always tell who they are because they just post up in a high traffic area and just stand there.The funny thing is the women are rarely very hot anyway but the guys go crazy lol. Whatever feeds your self esteem I guess.

Exactly, as you can tell right off the bat, that these guys never had a serious relationship with a woman before. Never had a steady girlfriend or wife. Most normal women can smell that kind of desperation. Sad in away. I have a few friends like that in that they are like little puppy dogs who follow women around begging for their attention.

Folks there is a reason why that most bad boys get the women, and following around women like a desperate puppy dog isn`t one of them.

;)