• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st appearance of Ms. Marvel?

28 posts in this topic

Is it Captain Marvel 18 (when she actually gets her powers), or Ms. Marvel 1? Marvel Super-heroes 13 is the first Carol Danvers (likely no argument there). But when does Carol Danvers actually become Ms. Marvel? Even if the CGC label says otherwise, I gotta go with Captain Marvel 18. What do you guys think?

Ms. Marvel #1, as it appears Carol did not realize the change immediately after the incident, and the idea came as a storyline decision when they launched the title (which happened some years later).

So, as much important as it may be, I believe Captain Marvel #18 is a key book in the sense of development, but not a first appearance.

Captain Marvel 18 is definitely the most underrated of the three and widely overlooked by collectors. IMO it's every bit as key as MSH13 and Ms Marvel 1. Probably because the storyline is a bit obscure to many collectors it's been overlooked. But that should change very soon if for no other reason than because Cap Marvel 18 is so cheap compared to MSH13 and Ms Marvel 1.

I often think: if AF15 were the first app of Peter Parker and he got his powers then but ASM 1 were the first Spider-Man, which would be more sought after?

It depends on the cover. If AF 15 were a monster cover and the scenario played out like you stated, Spiderman 1 would be the mega key. The costume and name really make a difference. I've never been a fan of the Ned Leeds, Carol Danvers, etc aspect of a first appearance. The key is the character costume powers and all. The HIM Warlock debacle (as far as collecting 1st appearances go, the story is pretty good) comes to mind. Other issues are when (usually villains) are doing stuff behind the scenes.

The Marvel Boy/Quasar/Project Pegasus is another fun one.

Ed

It remains the fact that when the incident was told in Captain Marvel #18 there was no specific plan to turn Carol into a superheroine.

Personally, I would get both simply because I care about the stories, but Ms. Marvel #1 is definitely the first appearance of Ms. Marvel as such. :)

Captain Marvel 18 is definitely the most underrated of the three and widely overlooked by collectors. IMO it's every bit as key as MSH13 and Ms Marvel 1. Probably because the storyline is a bit obscure to many collectors it's been overlooked. But that should change very soon if for no other reason than because Cap Marvel 18 is so cheap compared to MSH13 and Ms Marvel 1.

I often think: if AF15 were the first app of Peter Parker and he got his powers then but ASM 1 were the first Spider-Man, which would be more sought after?

I agree. I think CM18 will start to come up - and like MSH13, I think the higher grades are going to be much fewer than the VG/FNs available. Not because the print run was low - I just think that these books tended to get hammered more. I mean, MSH13 is a rarity in VF or better. I've bought about 10 copies of that book in the past few months, and I can't get better than FN without throwing crazy money at it.

I think the 1st appearance of Ms. Marvel is Ms. Marvel #1. That is when she *is* Ms. Marvel. CM18 is where she gets her powers - but it's not disclosed that that is what happens in the story. She just gets psychofrakulated and if I recall, Cap takes her out while she is unconscious amidst riffing some Shatner-esque dialogue and that's the end of the story.

I think MSH 13, CM 18 and Ms. Marvel 1 are the three to get - and I think they are starting to gain popularity as we inch towards a potential Ms. Marvel movie. :wishluck:

I will always go with MSH, I don't care when they get their powers. You can compare this with so many other characters that eventually have powers or change costumes, I still want the very first even if true human form.

I will always go with MSH, I don't care when they get their powers. You can compare this with so many other characters that eventually have powers or change costumes, I still want the very first even if true human form.

I think the interesting thing about Carol Danvers is that she was around for awhile before they reconfigured her to be a superhero. Jim Rhodes appeared the same way. Not sure who else fits that criteria.

I think the interesting thing about Carol Danvers is that she was around for awhile before they reconfigured her to be a superhero. Jim Rhodes appeared the same way. Not sure who else fits that criteria.

Dr. Henry Pym. :)

Flash Thompson? :sick:

This is for you, Balls! :D

Kidding apart, there are similar situations in Iron Man. I am thinking of the O'Briens (1st and 2nd Guardsman), then there is Besty Braddock, of course, but you have got to pick all the british magazines to catch up with her adventures… :)

Dr. Henry Pym. :)

DUH. Can't believe I missed that one.

Flash Thompson? :sick:

This is for you, Balls! :D

Kidding apart, there are similar situations in Iron Man. I am thinking of the O'Briens (1st and 2nd Guardsman), then there is Besty Braddock, of course, but you have got to pick all the british magazines to catch up with her adventures… :)

Psylocke :cloud9: