• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

Saw the Central Valley Single Series 20 and had to have it...

singleseries20.jpg

Spent many long minutes staring at this when Peets had it displayed still raw at SDCC after he had discovered the Central Valley collection.

So much so that I only superficially glanced through all of the other CV books, including the Fantastic 3, that he had there, all still raw.

I always regretted not trying to make him an offer.

cuz it's my favorite g.a. cover.

fantastic3-1.jpg

Dang, didn`t know you even had a copy of this book, let alone such a nice copy. 5.0 for this book is like 9.4 for almost any other book.

Thanks brother. It does make me smile.

As would a g.a. western penn !!

I grew up watching Batman cartoons on Saturday morning. I still remember sitting in front of the TV watching Batman and eating Captain Crunch cereal. Every now and then I would be lucky enough to catch a rerun of the Adam West show when visiting Grandma.

batman1.jpg

As a kid, I found a coverless copy of Star Spangled Comics in an old house in Indiana. For the life of me, I have no idea what happened to it, but I loved the stories and the Simon and Kirby artwork.

starspangled7.jpg

The last Batman I needed to complete the run was #10. Most copies I would see had ugly dust shadows on the right side but I finally found a sweet copy.

batman_10s.jpg

The first GA Batman I ever bought was #31 from Samuel Frazier. I still have it, but was quite happy to buy this one off a true class act boar die.

batman_31s.jpg

Probably my favorite Detective cover. Love Scarecrow and spent a lot of time trying to find a nice copy.

det_73_f_s.jpg

Wow - Stellar Bat1. Any work done on it? tape removal along the spine?

I grew up watching Batman cartoons on Saturday morning. I still remember sitting in front of the TV watching Batman and eating Captain Crunch cereal. Every now and then I would be lucky enough to catch a rerun of the Adam West show when visiting Grandma.

batman1.jpg

Yep, here's the before and after, taped removed on spine, color touch.

batman1starr.jpg

I'm a bit limited as to what's in my photobucket right now, but there are certainly some favorites of mine in there, for a variety of reasons.

MARVEL MYSTERY #36

This book is a favorite for SEVERAL reasons!! I clearly remember buying this exact copy in the mid 1990's at a small show. My eyes were HUGE seeing it in a small glass-topped case on a local dealers table. He said he'd just gotten it back from a customer he'd sold it to long ago. I quickly purchased it. After getting divorced, I had to part with most of my books to buy a house. I sold this to Russ, requesting that I be able to buy it back, should he ever decide to sell. I was fortunate enough to get it back a year or two ago :grin: Thanks Russ (worship)

marvel36_zps6a26d0e6.jpg

NAMORA #1

This book is the first Golden Age book I ever purchased and I still have it to this day (altho I slabbed it a few years ago)!!! It will ALWAYS hold the most special place in my heart and memory, for it launched my love for Timely comics and set me on a path to meeting some of my very best friends!! If you ever see me sell THIS book, you know I'm out of comics for good!!! BTW, it's not now, nor shall it EVER be for sale!!! My daughter Jessica gets this book someday!!

namora1_zps0a792d3a.jpg

U.S.A.#7

This has ALWAYS been one of my top favorite Captain America covers ever since the first time I laid eyes on it!!! I actually kinda looked away from it for years, figuring I'd never find a decent copy that I could both afford and be happy with. It should be no secret that I got this from one of my Timely geeks .......... the tall one ;) Of course the book is hugely expensive, but Ricky generously parted with it (he didn't need the money), because he knew how much I'd like to have it and he also gets to visit it, as it's staying in the family!! Thanks Ricky :)

usa7chicago_zps74440b0a.jpg

CONTACT #11

I literally smile from ear to ear every time I see this book!! It's like I'd just stepped out of a time machine and pulled it from the newstand EXCEPT, I'm not sure many looked this nice ON the newstand!! :o The cover colors are so deep and rich, it almost looks like it's still wet. It's not an important book on a PERSONAL level, just a book that makes ya glad funny books were created!!

Contact1198.jpg

CAPTAIN AMERICA #14

One of my top favorite Avison Cap covers (he did a few GREAT covers in the teen digits, 13, 14, 16, etc ...)!! After having a lower grade copy with some work, my chance to upgrade finally came to light with this copy. I'll never need to find a better one (thumbs u

cap14-2.jpg

CAPTAIN AERO #23

Flat out fell in love with this book at a Chicago comic con several years ago and KNEW I was bringing it home!!! One of those love-at-first-site comic things!! L.B. Cole SCREAMS World War 2 with THIS rendering!!

captainaero23.jpg

CAPTAIN AMERICA #28

Perhaps my favorite Cap cover of all!!! I just LOVE what Schomburg came up with here and every time I see a copy of this book, I just stare at the artwork and imagine being a kid when it was out on the stands!!!

cap28s-2.jpg

HUMAN TORCH #2

Human Torch #2 is the first "big fat" Timely I ever purchased!! I bought it from a local dealer and was in awe of it's size and contents!! I also floored Russ when walking around a local show, he'd asked what I'd picked up and I whipped that monster book out!! The copy pictured is my current copy, while the actual "first purchased copy" resides in the collection of our beloved Straw-man :hi:

torch2-1.jpg

CAPTAIN AMERICA #7 Signature Series Joe Simon

Having always loved this cover and having sold my former copy, I was Cap 7-less. When I bought this Joe Simon signed copy, he was still very much alive. The day it was delivered to my door, I had just found out two hours prior that Joe had passed away. Filled with sorrow that we'd just lost one of the GREATS, I felt fortunate to have added this book to my collection and felt it was a nice tribute to a Golden Age pioneer who never seemed to get the credit he deserved!! HE CREATED CAPTAIN AMERICA!!! And to my knowledge, was the first artist to depict him on paper!! Thanks Joe (worship)

cap7.jpg

CAPTAIN AMERICA #16 Signature Series Joe Simon & Stan Lee

Having seen this book at Matt's place a week or two prior, I had discussed buying it from GAtor. The day I heard of Joe Simons passing, my mind was made up. I called GAtor and had him send it. Once again, having sold my former copy, I needed a Cap #16 and having one signed by BOTH Joe Simon and Stan Lee was just perfect!!

cap16.jpg

JUMBO COMICS #82

I have ALWAYS loved this cover and if you have to ask WHY ........ I don't even know who you are :slapfight:

jumbo82s_zps14a8535a.jpg

Well, I think that does it for me gang!! I hope you've enjoyed my offerings!! I look forward to seeing what others post :headbang:

batman1.jpg

batman1starr.jpg

Thanks for the pics. What a great book! How would it grade out you think? 8.0 slight ?

batman1.jpg

batman1starr.jpg

Thanks for the pics. What a great book! How would it grade out you think? 8.0 slight ?

I would not even guess. It should get a slight designation since nothing was added.

batman1.jpg

batman1starr.jpg

I would not even guess. It should get a slight designation since nothing was added.

Dont entomb it! Just leave as is, in a mylar :cloud9: Looks great.

Because it features a WWII paratrooper, and I had a great uncle who I never got to meet because he was a paratrooper who was killed by a Nazi sniper during the D-Day invasion, and because of the great detail of the old man with burning matches jammed under his fingernails...

142049.jpg.34306ab98df565f9448b60964427a7e1.jpg