• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

[font:Times New Roman]We all have favorites that work their way into our hearts and minds as central to our collections. They may be keys in a larger run of books or just stand out rarities that we love just a tad more than the rest of our cherished acquisitions. I'm not asking anyone to defend their choices, but rather to separate the greatest books out, explain their personal appeal and celebrate them without respect to any particular order (such as a Top 10 list countdown) although you can take that approach if you like.

Without further adieu, here are mine...

ba7ed08a-6500-430e-be7e-d3687d2108e3_zps76b0af3d.jpg

Human Torch #5(B) has one of my favorite Schomburg covers and features an epic book-length fire vs water battle carried over from the serialized story in Marvel Mystery Comics. This was the last issue of HT featuring the explosion blurb behind the title and Namor's high voltage tank and invasion army sets it off well. Absolutely killer book, and very tough in grade.

d3749b17-e9cc-47cc-bb0f-6793ffa511bc_zps58cee5b9.jpg

Hit #18 may be my favorite superhero cover rendering of the GA. Between the anatomical accuracy and perspective rendering Reed Crandall took superhero cover art to a point that wouldn't be seen again until the likes of Brian Bolland and Alex Ross some 50 years later. Next to Will Eisner and Lou Fine, Crandall was one of the most accomplished comic illustrators of the era.

33aa41d0-a088-4cc9-b6c9-d79024fc8054_zps9c838b96.jpg

DBH (aka Daredevil #1) is probably the most audacious cover of the GA. It may not be the most well rendered art as Woodro (aka Bob Wood and Charles Biro) weren't known as great illustrators, but who can argue that these guys didn't know how to compose a superb funny book cover that jumps off the newsstand. If there's a cover that stands out more or takes on Hitler better, I haven't come across it.

f6ceac38-7fc9-497d-8bb6-893540431ced_zpsb4966efa.jpg

Cat-Man #2 features my favorite Charles Quinlan cover. The boldness of displaying the hero in action from behind and above combined with an accurate rendering of figures, shadows, cars and design elements makes this a unique and visually stunning cover. Quinlan was always an excellent artist, but many of his covers are routine combat or reaction scenes, typical of the era. This one stands out.

a125db88-9c1c-4c2f-9de8-c503243df442_zps8d9ccde1.jpg

Toward the end of the Cat-Man run L.B. Cole produced some stunning covers that reflect his attention to balanced design and bold iconic imagery. The cover of Cat-Man #31, depicting hungry wolves under the direction of their villainous master surrounding Cat-Man & Kitten in a snowfield is one of my personal favorites of the run.

b38c8777-7cd4-43f7-954b-763bdb83af30_zps4ee79056.jpg

Mystic #7 is da bomb for Destroyer covers. There are so many great Jack Kirby covers, but the visual of Hitler unleashing demons upon a chained diplomat as the Destroyer drops in to close the lid on the Führer's scheme and rescue the victim in a Timely manner provides just the right recipe for high-octane action, making this'n a classic.

1db03b54-878b-4d26-87ba-a4230417b91c_zps5ce4da9c.jpg

Mystic V.2 #2 almost defies description. I don't know what Syd Shores was smokin', but his depiction of the Angel bursting in to confront a skeletal mad scientist in swastika headband injecting bondaged babes with an oversized hypodermic syringe is one of Timely's most gonzo War era covers. Whew! What's not to love about this over-the-top mayhem?

5dd38355-99e6-4fb5-a860-f5a9767a93b1_zps1ed40395.jpg

Pep #9 stands out as one of artist Irv Novick's best covers. Usually GA super heroes are depicted fighting criminals, super villains or Axis armies. It's much rarer to find covers where they're using their super powers to save folks from natural disasters and this one, given it's difficult perspective rendering is outstanding.

153a0f93-ea62-4242-ae2b-a8b17a38d557_zps9d3b70ab.jpg

Silver Streak #7 is one of the most favorite GA books because it's a tour de force for artist Jack Cole. 36 pages of interior story illustration with a killer cover that presents the books first featured character, The Claw, starting an epic serialized battle with the publisher's latest, Daredevil, in his new red/blue contrasting costume. This is what creativity in the GA was all about.

b4c713aa-b94a-4d42-b691-88fc38dd6ef8_zps4f77a4e6.jpg

Hit #1 was a tough call. There were so many books with great covers that I wanted to include in this list. Others might rise to the top on any given day (Kirby Caps, USA & Daring Mystery covers, Baker Phantom Lady covers, an Ingles Haunt of Fear cover, countless Schomburg covers from various publishers, etc.), but for some reason the idea of not including a Lou Fine cover in the mix seemed like sacrilege. It's worth noting that Fine produced many outstanding, highly prized covers & interiors, but his anatomy and perspective was inarguably erratic. What makes Fine's work stand out in spite of this is emotional content. His covers almost always convey drama through well posed scenes punctuated by dynamic flourishes and this one is exceptional, IMO.

Well, there you have it. Merryweather's Top Ten list, or rather today's Top Ten list. Who knows which second bananas will a'peel tomorrow. :banana:

Now it's your turn. Take your time and have some fun with this. Let's see what'cha got and why they're your faves. [/font]

Great idea we all have our loves yours being great classic's something special about that Catman 2.Have to think about this i'm sure you will have some great posts for we all love certain books for sure (thumbs u

First up Amazing Man 11 my first Centaur all over after that.Holds a special meaning to me as one of the front runners of the Goldenage.

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/aman11.jpg' alt='aman11.jpg'>

Next as an art fanatic one of the best covers of all and my favorite artist Gus Ricca who created some of the best before the pre-code the Punch 12

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/12_zpsd0ad7296.jpg' alt='12_zpsd0ad7296.jpg'>

Next one weird cover but i love it Dynamic Comics 11 sort of fits my mad thinking!

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/d11_zps03f61c01.jpg' alt='d11_zps03f61c01.jpg'>

Another by Harry Chesler and Gus Ricca Dynamic Comics 8 highly sort after by me from the beginning of time also holds aspecial place in my heart.Who the heck doesn't love a black cover with some weird goings on.

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/dynamic.jpg' alt='dynamic.jpg'>[

Last one i'm with Flex on this one highly prized classic cover which does everthing for me,one of my true grails shoot me to part with it :)

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/sm_zpscd918d84.jpg' alt='sm_zpscd918d84.jpg'>

First up, Mystic 1. I've had this copy since high school ('78-'79) when I started working at Camelot. Got it for work trade.

mystic1.jpg

My favorite GA book cover to cover. Had ordered a copy through The CBG that was vastly overgraded. Returned it after giving a thorough read. The first time I met Stephen Fischler was at a San Diego show in the late eighties and I mentioned I was looking for a copy of Great 3. The next year at the same show he saw me and said he had something for me. It was pretty cool that he remembered. Even cooler that it was only $300!

great3fc.jpg

Saw the Central Valley Single Series 20 and had to have it...

singleseries20.jpg

Same thing with the Allentown Silver Streak 6. Ever once in a while you see abook that just screams at you. I had been wanting a copy of SS 6 for a while. But this copy was so beautiful I literally couldn't look away...

silverstreak6.jpg

The first golden age book I ever laid eyes on was a copy of Captain Marvel 17 at an old Houston Comic Collectors meeting in 1972. The cover image was burned into my pea brain then. It was pictured in the Steranko book and that was it, had to have one...

captainmarvel17.jpg

While I am primarily a golden age collector my favorite comics of all are the first sixty or so issues of Fantastic Four. I didn't collect them after I became a retailer, and though I've had numerous copies over the years I didn't keep any. But I got the bug a few years ago and decided that there were some that I really wanted to have. The top of the list was issue 11 with the Impossible Man. I loved it as a kid. It has one of those really cool brown covers, is pretty tough to find nice, and I have a weird attraction to little green men...

ff11.jpg

Vic Torry is a goofy little book that I've loved since I first read it years ago. The Bob Powell story is cool. The photo cover is cool. The space ship is cool. The aliens are cool. It's just cool to me...

victorryfc.jpg

Green monster, jet pack, ray gun, Mars, painted cover. What more do you need in a comic book?

larsofmars11.jpg

My dad's book...

batman20.jpg

And finally, this will always be my grail of grails. Thanks Mr. Parker (thumbs u

marvel1.jpg

Wow, RE. Out of all your amazing books, this is very cool. Has to be a real treasure on this one. :applause:

My dad didn't save anything :( but he's still tops in my book and doing great at 85 :)

Great books, everyone! Fun thread.

My dad's book...

batman20.jpg

Book 1: Action Comics #7.

This book was posted on ebay by Tropic Comics back in 1999. I was 19 and entering my third year of college. I had no idea what the book would go for, but after discussing with other fellow collectors, got an idea. Another fellow collector stepped aside and did not bid against me. I won the book for around $1200 which was basically all I had to my name. I sold a bunch of books and ate cereal for about a month, but it was worth it. I still own the book today, though it has been since restored.

action7.jpg

Book 2: X-Men #1 (no image)

While this is not the same book I purchased, it was a dream book for me. I remember going to comic book shows and seeing a dealer with four or five copies of X-Men 1. I wanted nothing more than to own one for myself. But being a freshman in college, I was unable to afford it. But doing multiple trades and finding some great deals, I was able to trade towards one. I remember to this day the thrill I had when I got the book in my hands. I couldn't believe it really happened.

Book 3: Detective Comics 31

Again while in college, another collector/dealer in Florida had a collection of early Detectives in lower grade. He was going to post them on ebay, but I convinced him out of it. This was one of the books. I had another copy of Detective 31 before this that was in horrible condition. We agreed to the price, and I was able to sell the beat copy for a decent profit, and pick up this one. I put it in a fortress where it still resides today in my safe deposit box.

tec31front.jpg

Book 4: Captain America Comics 74

I remember seeing this book at a show, and was amazed at the cover. I did not own any other Timely books, but just loved the cover on this one. I looked high and low but to no avail. One day I received a catalog in the mail from James Payette, and saw a copy listed graded Good Minus. One quick phone call, and we had a deal! Another book that went into a fortress where it still resides today. You can see the date stamp on the right of the image.

cap74.jpg

Book 5: Detective Comics 38

This book is one I have actually never purchased complete! My first copy was coverless, and since then I have owned close to a dozen parts to it, and have completed a few copies in the process. The coverless came from fellow board member James Gallo. I remember the day he hand delivered it to my dorm in exchange for cash. My roommates were shocked I paid so much for a comic book.

tec38a.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Ankur

This thread is so good, maybe one of the best starts to any thread in a long time. I can see people updating it as things change and new people adding their lists.

The thread is also opening my eyes to the wide, wide spectrum of amazing books.

Really enjoying it thanks all.

Here are a few of my favorites :)

Pep 22. A book I looked for for almost 20 years...

905367-pep22.jpg

Archie 1. Bought this book in the pre internet days. It was listed in an ad in CBG, graded as GD, priced at $250. It was the first copy I had ever seen listed for sale. I bought it!

archiebook412-1_zps4dcdd778.jpg

Peanuts 1. Charles Schulz is one of my literary heroes. This is the first book devoted to Peanuts and very tough to find in decent shape. Plus the cover image is awesome. Thanks to Moondog for selling it to me :)

TOP25011.jpg

Pep 36. My favorite GA Archie cover and his first cover on an issue of Pep. Bought from Redbeard at the Chicago Comicon sometime in the '80s.

archiebook013-2_zpse5e72042.jpg

Famous Funnies 211. My first signature series book, and still my favorite. Nothing beats a Frazetta signature on a great cover.

Scan-120311-0021.jpg

All Top 16. I had a copy for years (bought in a Wooley's auction for you old-timers) which I ended up selling to a boardie who really wanted it. I've missed it ever since. Finally got a shot at this one (thanks to HR Costigan) and plan to keep it forever. By far my favorite Fox cover (sorry Phantom Lady fans...)

Scan-130829-0004_zpsf2720566.jpg

Patsy Walker 1. Great cover that's so hard to find in nice shape.

TOP25009.jpg

Pep 30. I wrote about this book in this thread LINK

Scan-130708-0003_zpse198d89c.jpg

Pep 34. Bestest over the top war cover in my collection :cloud9: Bought from Ernie Gerber a million years ago.

archiebook012-1_zps1d7fae24.jpg

Roly Poly 14. This cover always makes me laugh. Purchased from our own Darth Corgi.

Scan-120720-0008.jpg

I don't know if I have five GA books in my collection because I mostly collect SA. However, here's what I do have:

Thrilling 41. A classic Shomberg cover. Just love the Swaztika blanket. I mean did Hitler really have such a blanket? There's a lot of detail to the cover. I believe that the two army dudes who are tying up Hitler are ironically stereotypes There are many other small details as well which make this book a real artistic masterpiece. Thanks to Terry's Comics who sold it to me at Comic Con this past summer:

694a5898-f975-4299-8d08-04ed206547d3.jpg

One of the best Jerry Robinson Joker covers. I realize Detective Comics 69 seems to be the hot Joker cover at the present moment but I think Detective Comics 76 is just as good artistically. Who's going to emerge the victor in this battle? Looks like the Joker may have the upper hand. Anyway, it's such a cool cover!

e4a2451b-b47b-4d1c-8b73-141decdb2560.jpg

Here's the classic CA Holocaust cover. I always wanted a copy and I knew a decent-looking copy would be very expensive but when I read an article in "The Nation" magazine about Albert Grossman who interviewed survivors of the Treblinka death camp in Poland and discovered that the Nazis were extremely cruel to those Jews who fought back in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. Yes, they shot some on sight but others they deported to Treblinka and instead of gassing them they actually wheeled them into the crematoria alive. Thus, Shomberg's artistic depiction is accurate here. As an aside Grossman's novels and reportage were banned in the Soviet Union and had to be surreptissoully sent to the West.

CaptainAmericaComics46-4.jpg

I don't know the cover artist and neither did CGC (any help in identifying the cover artist would be appreciated) but I just love newsstand and infinity covers and this book has both depicted. Looking at this cover is akin to entering a time machine and walking by Cahuenga Newsstand and Books on Hollywood Blvd and seeing the books depicted on this cover. How cool is that!

CaptainMarvelJr37.jpg