• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered Jim Starlin's best work?

90 posts in this topic

I hope it didn't seem like I didn't like that stuff as I certainly do. I think it's among the better stuff Marvel produced in the 1970's.

Can't argue with that. For me, I'd put it up there with my favorite comics of all time. I remember reading Avengers Annual #7 and having to run to the kitchen and ask, "Mom, what does stellar genocide mean?"

lol I bet the look on your mom's face was priceless when you asked that question.

Starlin's run on Warlock is his best work, one of the most twisted mind f**k storylines of any superhero comic. It takes multiple readings to fully understand it all, the schizophrenic aspect of Adam Warlock, the reluctant hero, the power hungry man-child. Reading that series is like listening to Voivod. Not everyone "gets it"

His Warlock run is certainly one of the weirdest mainstream superhero stories ever published during the BA. And for all the rancor that Starlin channeled through it to the alleged puppet-masters at Marvel, the fact remains that they still published it. Can you imagine DC putting out something both intensely personal (e.g., the religious content) and intensely bitter (S.T. 181) like that during the same period?

If nothing else, perhaps for the first time in the publication's history (Ditko aside), Strange Tales--courtesy of Jim Starlin--genuinely lived up to its name...

Starlin's run on Warlock is his best work, one of the most twisted mind f**k storylines of any superhero comic. It takes multiple readings to fully understand it all, the schizophrenic aspect of Adam Warlock, the reluctant hero, the power hungry man-child. Reading that series is like listening to Voivod. Not everyone "gets it"

You too, huh? I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that way. It usually took 2 or 3 times for me to "get it."

This thread really got me digging through Avengers Annual #7 again.

And I noticed that according to Grand Comics Database, Starlin inked one page of the book while Joe Rubinstein finished all the other pages.

I think it's hard to blame him for keeping this one for himself:

ii06.jpg

His Warlock run is certainly one of the weirdest mainstream superhero stories ever published during the BA. And for all the rancor that Starlin channeled through it to the alleged puppet-masters at Marvel, the fact remains that they still published it. Can you imagine DC putting out something both intensely personal (e.g., the religious content) and intensely bitter (S.T. 181) like that during the same period?

If nothing else, perhaps for the first time in the publication's history (Ditko aside), Strange Tales--courtesy of Jim Starlin--genuinely lived up to its name...

You are absolutely right. I don’t care about the "intensely bitter" (although I prefer to avoid these things), but how he worked the themes is truly what a good writer is expected to do. By memory, the Universal Church of Truth is not so "personal", but great writing instead. I mean, you can’t avoid being "personal", it’s the artistic quality you can attain in that specific moment that matters in writing.

Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two in One annual #2

Those and The Death Of Captain Marvel will always be on the top of my list, that said, I think 95% of JS's comics were fantastic. :cloud9:

As much as I like Warlock, Avengers Annual/MTIO Annual and some of his other runs, my favorite is still the later Captain Marvel stuff, when Starlin really got running, like Captain Marvel 29-33, after CM "went cosmic".

Some of that art is absolutely classic and I don't think Thanos has ever been better.

As much as I like Warlock, Avengers Annual/MTIO Annual and some of his other runs, my favorite is still the later Captain Marvel stuff, when Starlin really got running, like Captain Marvel 29-33, after CM "went cosmic".

Some of that art is absolutely classic and I don't think Thanos has ever been better.

I can see that, it's fantastic stuff (thumbs u

You guys have picked a lot of winners, for sure. Starlin's stories & art are some of the best & he's been pretty consistent over a very long period.

And, yeah, he can be a bit of a grump when you meet him! But even so, I've had good experiences at conventions with him. And he was very nice to my son, which I greatly appreciated.

I've always loved the wide range of material he's been able to produce - from the cosmic to the comedic.

I've particularly enjoyed his take on the Hulk & Thing, as they usually are pretty funny. Some stories that come to mind:

Marvel Feature #11 (Hulk vs Thing)

Marvel Fanfare #20 (Thing & Dr. Strange) and #21 (Thing, Dr. Strange, Hulk)

Marvel Graphic Novel #29 - Big Change (Hulk & Thing), written by Starlin with artwork by Bernie Wrightson!

Something you cannot surely say for the late Tom DeFalco tenure as Editor-In-Chief, and all that followed, to the point Marvel has nothing to do with Marvel nowadays.

I didn't know Tom DeFalco had passed :o

What happened? When?