• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Competing on the registry

118 posts in this topic

So the registry as you know is a brilliant creation. It really drives the obsessive collector types in particular.

It seems at this point in time, if you look at many of the "popular" runs like ASM SA or Batman GA, etc. the guys at the top are not going anywhere either because they happen to have a higher grade Bats #1 worth a zillion points but barely any other books or they have absolutely insane full complete runs like that Doc Ock guy in ASM.

With all that said knowing that you could not ever take the top spot or even crack top five or top ten is it even justifiable to bother competing trying to put a 9.8 run together and blowing out your funds?

Is it better to just put a low grade run together and being at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole where you will barely get looks or just simply go raw and have a bunch more coin to put towards other focus runs?

I also noticed that a price trend in that it seems the older the slab gets the more expensive on a dollar cost average it gets for one registry point. In other words for a BA 9.8 say its worth 80 points. In many instances you will be able to purchase that for $50 or $60 lets say. But when it comes to GA or SA, often you could have a slab worth X amount of points but it fetches in terms of dollars greater than that number of points.

In the end its all about points.

Any thoughts, regrets, dilemmas, competitive stories, struggles are appreciated.

If for what ever reason you feel the need to compete with others in the registry the only thing I can tell you is don't start! The registry isn't really a competition, it is more of a way to keep track of what you have and what you collect.

Trying to turn it into a competition will only drain your money as you buy books you have no interest in. There is no finish line, there is no podium, there is no fan fair when you move up "positions".

If you get caught up in chasing points in the end you will only be competing against yourself, and you will never "win".

CGC honored me with an award this year and I am ranked #31 in the ASM AF15-ASM100 registry. As another boardie told me. It is not always about being number 1.

So the registry as you know is a brilliant creation. It really drives the obsessive collector types in particular.

It seems at this point in time, if you look at many of the "popular" runs like ASM SA or Batman GA, etc. the guys at the top are not going anywhere either because they happen to have a higher grade Bats #1 worth a zillion points but barely any other books or they have absolutely insane full complete runs like that Doc Ock guy in ASM?

With all that said knowing that you could not ever take the top spot or even crack top five or top ten is it even justifiable to bother competing trying to put a 9.8 run together and blowing out your funds?

Is it better to just put a low grade run together and being at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole where you will barely get looks or just simply go raw and have a bunch more coin to put towards other focus runs.

I also noticed that a price trend in that it seems the older the slab gets the more expensive on a dollar cost average it gets for one registry point. In other words for a BA 9.8 say its worth 80 points. In many instances you will be able to purchase that for $50 or $60 lets say. But when it comes to GA or SA, often you could have a slab worth X amount of points but it fetches in terms of dollars greater than that number of points.

In the end its all about points.

Any thoughts, regrets, dilemmas, competitive stories, struggles are appreciated.

In the end, it's all about the enjoyment you get from your comic books and collecting.

Personally, I think the registry is azzhat stupid. 2c

I agree with this 1 million percent . Just a way for someone to say " I have a better collection than you ", and have a way to back that up . Collecting shouldnt be a competition .

CGC honored me with an award this year and I am ranked #31 in the ASM AF15-ASM100 registry. As another boardie told me. It is not always about being number 1.

+1 x 1,000

There is a lot to do on the registry other than accumulating points. I love my DD Miller Registry set and I will never be #1 or #2 or #3. I'm ok with that. You can add scans, photos, info, data - so much to do. I learned a lot from gaz doing the Revival registry set. And Buzz, your set inspired me! :foryou: #31 but still has a kick set that he prides himself on! That's all that matters! You just have fun with it! :whee:

I LIKE the DC 100 pagers... they truly were a breed apart, and deserve their own set. IMHO, of course...
Not a fan of modern registry sets.

But nothing beats inane arbitrary sets like this one -

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/awards/WinningSetDetail.aspx?AwardSetID=49536

lol Greggy was PMing me about another one of my posts so I was just trying to mess with him.

I LIKE the DC 100 pagers... they truly were a breed apart, and deserve their own set. IMHO, of course...

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/awards/WinningSetDetail.aspx?AwardSetID=49536

lol Greggy was PMing me about another one of my posts so I was just trying to mess with him.
:whee: More views

:whee: More views

Only way anyone is ever going to see that junk.

I like the registry, just like I like the boards.

Cards, coins or comics; its a fun way to look at other collections, see whats out there, and most of all meet and trade with other people you might not have met otherwise.

If for what ever reason you feel the need to compete with others in the registry the only thing I can tell you is don't start! The registry isn't really a competition, it is more of a way to keep track of what you have and what you collect.

Trying to turn it into a competition will only drain your money as you buy books you have no interest in. There is no finish line, there is no podium, there is no fan fair when you move up "positions".

If you get caught up in chasing points in the end you will only be competing against yourself, and you will never "win".

+1

+1

For someone chasing or wanting to improve their set it is a great way to keep track of what you have. For example, these days, when I am looking at a Spider-man I may want to upgrade, I simply refer to my set. There have been times that I have passed on an upgrade in our FS thread based upon comparing the price to upgrade by .2 of a grade. When I didn't have a set it was a simple online database to see what I still needed.