• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden vs Modern.....CRAZINESS!

39 posts in this topic

So I picked up this copy of U.S.A. 15 today for $525, thanks again Straw-Man!

So here's something that completely baffles me. I know there are some moderns that are blowing up and over priced to say the least, but when I pick some out I just can't believe some of the trends.

So my new U.S.A. 15 or a Walking Dead #19 CGC 9.6. Is this really a decision that some people are making these days??? Or heaven forbid.....BA #12........ :screwy:

usa15.jpg

Sorry for the rantrant , it's probably just me totally stoked on my new book! :whee:

Or it's the whiskey....

I completely agree. I guess it's just hard to understand. But I can see the quick buck vs something that is established to not go down in money but make it slowly...

The modern market just seems so hot and cold from one week to the next that I can't not see buying up old gems instead of the chance on on movie/show deal.

Thanks for the 2c.

I agree with you...whiskey or no (what are you drinking?) I think your USA book is FAR more interesting and a better value for the dollar. How many of those books have been graded by CGC...under 10 I suspect...just guessing haven't looked. And they aren't exactly common. Whereas the Walking Dead stuff still qualifies as a fad...IMHO.

people collect what they like. it would be a kinda lame hobby if everyone collected the same things but I would rather have the USA so congrats on the pick up!

That's what makes it so exciting we all have different tastes !

Was just drinking some Pendelton.....

All points I really didn't consider. But yes, we all have different tastes and that's what keeps things going. Don't get me wrong, I have some nice modern's too, but mostly because they are great reads!

And yes on the CGC thing. The person I got this from has like the complete run of the U.S.A. and I think only 2 are graded.

I collect what I like and I'd love to have a USA 15 love that cover. However WD 19 is the first michonne in a very popular TV show. Even when the show ends it will be worth some money but in the long run USA 15 will be worth more.

I collect what I like and I'd love to have a USA 15 love that cover. However WD 19 is the first michonne in a very popular TV show. Even when the show ends it will be worth some money but in the long run USA 15 will be worth more.

I do agree. I also love some moderns and like most of the population, am infatuated with WD. I'm all over the spectrum with the books I buy/collect, but sometimes something that comes out a couple months ago, 1st print sells out, gets slabbed 9.8 and sells for crazy money is nutz. I was just having some drinks last night and decided to go on a small rant. :)

I do agree. I also love some moderns and like most of the population, am infatuated with WD. I'm all over the spectrum with the books I buy/collect, but sometimes something that comes out a couple months ago, 1st print sells out, gets slabbed 9.8 and sells for crazy money is nutz. I was just having some drinks last night and decided to go on a small rant. :)

lol the drunk posting rants......did you watch wd last night?

I agree with you...whiskey or no (what are you drinking?) I think your USA book is FAR more interesting and a better value for the dollar. How many of those books have been graded by CGC...under 10 I suspect...just guessing haven't looked. And they aren't exactly common. Whereas the Walking Dead stuff still qualifies as a fad...IMHO.

Twelve, as it turns out. Including a 9.6. :o Church copy? hm

Agree that this a far cooler book than the WD ... but, unfortunately, the vast majority of collectors would likely disagree, I'm afraid. In fact, I would guess the vast majority of collectors have never heard of USA Comics.

So you have a mid grade, non core title 1940s book of an OK superhero that maybe has a movie or two. Walking dead is the #1 comic related show on television and is highly influential on current pop culture.

Lets compare the number of blogs and websites dedicated to Walking Dead vs USA comics or even Golden Age Captain America. Or even Captain America overall.

How many folks are dressing up as Cpatain America vs a Walking Dead character for Halloween?

Course I'd rather have the USA comic too but I'm just keeping it real. For you never know when keeping it real goes wrong.

A comic market where people pay $600 bucks for a walking dead 19 cgc 9.6 is a market flush with buyers and a sign of a robust market - a good thing for all comic collectors in my opinion.

A comic market where people pay 600 bucks for a comic they can’t even read is not – strictly speaking – a comic market. :insane:

So you have a mid grade, non core title 1940s book of an OK superhero that maybe has a movie or two. Walking dead is the #1 comic related show on television and is highly influential on current pop culture.

Lets compare the number of blogs and websites dedicated to Walking Dead vs USA comics or even Golden Age Captain America. Or even Captain America overall.

How many folks are dressing up as Cpatain America vs a Walking Dead character for Halloween?

Course I'd rather have the USA comic too but I'm just keeping it real. For you never know when keeping it real goes wrong.

But these are also all good reasons to be critical. It’s not just because something is hugely popular that is necessarily good.

Keeping it real does not mean to lose one’s own ense of criticism. :)