• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden vs Modern.....CRAZINESS!

39 posts in this topic

So you have a mid grade, non core title 1940s book of an OK superhero that maybe has a movie or two. Walking dead is the #1 comic related show on television and is highly influential on current pop culture.

Lets compare the number of blogs and websites dedicated to Walking Dead vs USA comics or even Golden Age Captain America. Or even Captain America overall.

How many folks are dressing up as Cpatain America vs a Walking Dead character for Halloween?

Course I'd rather have the USA comic too but I'm just keeping it real. For you never know when keeping it real goes wrong.

Point taken, but then again, how many cosplayers dress up as a zombie character vs Captain America around the 4th of July. hm

Now that's keeping it real. (thumbs u

You wouldn't be saying that if you had a giancola painting of a zombie in your living room :baiting:

;)

lol

... I dunno, would this'un qualify? >>> :whistle:

733d5ce6-fa51-4a74-acdf-160160df41fa_zps03ceab21.jpg

Donato jokingly refers to gallery pieces in this style as his "dead things on beaches period."

The unsettling open-eyed stare is close enough to zombification for my tastes. >>> :insane:

People who buy the moderns are hoping to make a quick buck or two.

People who buy the goldens are hoping to make a slow buck or two.

Two completely different business models.

+1

If you play your cards right you can make thousands in the modern market.

A few things modern has going for them is the print runs are short, especially the variants and modern has way more collectors then golden age.

Golden age comics are really niche, and slabbed golden age comics are even more of a niche.

They definitely are two different business models as conditionfreak states, but know what?

You can make a ton of money short-term with moderns, then take that money and invest long-term with golden age!

(thumbs u

+1

A few things modern has going for them is the print runs are short, especially the variants and modern has way more collectors then golden age.

Golden age comics are really niche, and slabbed golden age comics are even more of a niche.

They definitely are two different business models as conditionfreak states, but know what?

You can make a ton of money short-term with moderns, then take that money and invest long-term with golden age!

(thumbs u

And lose it all! :D

+1

(thumbs u

And Or lose it all! :cry:

Fixed! (thumbs u

Looking at the total number of slabbed WD 19s there must a LOT of people collecting to keep the price so high.

NM/M 9.8 - 327

NM+ 9.6 - 197

NM 9.4 - 111

For every person able to shell out 100s of dollars there must be tons more looking for lower graded, cheaper copies. Definitely a huge phenomenon.

Mike

+1

(thumbs u

And Or lose it all! :cry:

Fixed! (thumbs u

lol

+1

(thumbs u

You could lose it all with most golden age comics as well!

A bunch of reasons such as

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

Golden Age characters becoming irrelevant to modern audiences(examples Roy Rogers, Buck Rogers, Hourman etc...).

I love golden age comics, but it`s always good to diversify.

:)

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

Golden Age characters becoming irrelevant to modern audiences(examples Roy Rogers, Buck Rogers, Hourman etc...).

What about all the examples of the modern market going flat line, such as "Two Gun" or that whole 3d Villians month(Jokers Daughter), people were pre buying them for around $100 dollars and now there stuck 20 dollar BINs on ebay.

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

What about all the examples of the modern market going flat line, such as "Two Gun" or that whole 3d Villians month(Jokers Daughter), people were pre buying them for around $100 dollars and now there stuck 20 dollar BINs on ebay.

That`s why you flip moderns quick, as it`s a short-term investment.

Anybody who thought that holding onto the whole 3d Villians month(Jokers Daughter) would

pay for their children`s college in twenty years was :screwy:

So once again to clarify what condition freak stated

"People who buy the moderns are hoping to make a quick buck or two."

"People who buy the goldens are hoping to make a slow buck or two"

:cloud9:

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

That's what I meant when I highlighted your statement about investing in golden age. Comics of any period are a risky long-term investment.

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

Anybody who thought that holding onto the whole 3d Villians month(Jokers Daughter) would

Cloud nine all you want but I've made a helluva lot more money on golden age than moderns. And before you ask, yes, I've dealt with a lot of moderns. I owned comic stores when I had lines down the block for "the death of superman" and rode the Valiant wave until it crashed into the beach.

quick buck? sure. Enjoyment factor? minimal

I haven't the time, nor the inclination, anymore to piddle around with modern "hot" streaks and try to capitalize on them

And I'd wager most GA/SA collectors feel the same way

Give me a musty old smelly GA buck and a "slow buck" anyday

But for the record you can make fast bucks on GA too, lots of them, if that is your prediliction

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

Cloud nine all you want but I've made a helluva lot more money on golden age than moderns. And before you ask, yes, I've dealt with a lot of moderns. I owned comic stores when I had lines down the block for "the death of superman" and rode the Valiant wave until it crashed into the beach.

I haven't the time, nor the inclination, anymore to piddle around with modern "hot" streaks and try to capitalize on them

But for the record you can make fast bucks on GA too, lots of them, if that is your prediliction

We certainly see people trying to in every big auction!

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

My point is that you can make money with both the gold and modern ages. It doesn`t have be one or the other.

:gossip:

That`s what this :cloud9: was for.

I enjoy the gold,silver,bronze,copper,modern and digital ages equally.

They all have something good to offer.

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

My point is that you can make money with both the gold and modern ages. It doesn`t have be one or the other.

:gossip:

That`s what this :cloud9: was for.

I enjoy the gold,silver,bronze,copper,modern and digital ages equally.

They all have something good to offer.

(thumbs u

+1

(thumbs u

Inflation

Capital Gains Tax

Auction Fees

We certainly see people trying to in every big auction!

don't confuse me with Mitch lol

I've only consigned to auctions twice, that was enough.

Plenty of deals to be made amongst geeks all over without helping the auction boys buy more vacation homes in Turks and Caicos