• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

They were also selling five of the six "Kraven's Last Hunt" books for 3/$1. They were missing the first Amazing for it, but they had two copies of all of the others. There were a ton of Marvel Tales under 100 in there as well (mid grade). I bought the ones that reprinted ASM 121 and 122 because they have some interest now.

Honestly, though, the later McFarlanes have not been selling for much around here. I've seen them at the last several conventions for about $2/each, and they haven't appeared to have been selling. I probably wouldn't have bought them for more, since I already have more than one copy of the ones they had.

3/$1 is ridiculous for those unless they're in tatters. i can put them out at my yard sale and get $1 each for that stuff in VG.

this is a jaded group here. anything post 1966, unless it is a key or hot does not spark much interest doesn't move that great. 3/$1 is nuts though. i don't find that many mcfarlane spideys in $1 boxes at shows and when i do they're often dinged (not saying they aren't there, but it's not like finding liefield New mutant books, for example). maybe at $2 they don't sell much right now, but if at shows they'd sell briskly at $1, why should a shop make them 3/$1? just saying it is shortsighted as i think those books will eventually pop again. maybe not huge for the later issues.

At the risk of getting more whining about "gee, big spender..."

I will happily and gladly buy any and all Amazing McFarlane's in VF or better at $1.

So...if any of you all find them in the 3/$1, and normally wouldn't be bothered....be bothered, and I will gladly buy them from you.

Those books...every last one of them...would never have been passed by if I was there. I would have grabbed every last one of them.

You're talking to a guy whose first new OPG Update was #12. And do you know what happened in OPG Update #12 for McFarlane Amazings....?

o1fagWi.gif

Yes, $15 (in 1990 dollars, mind) for #305. $10 for #314. $6 for #322.

It was CRAY CRAY.

So, yeah, I'll buy 'em.

At the risk of getting more whining about "gee, big spender..."

I will happily and gladly buy any and all Amazing McFarlane's in VF or better at $1.

So...if any of you all find them in the 3/$1, and normally wouldn't be bothered....be bothered, and I will gladly buy them from you.

Those books...every last one of them...would never have been passed by if I was there. I would have grabbed every last one of them.

You're talking to a guy whose first new OPG Update was #12. And do you know what happened in OPG Update #12 for McFarlane Amazings....?

o1fagWi.gif

Yes, $15 (in 1990 dollars, mind) for #305. $10 for #314. $6 for #322.

It was CRAY CRAY.

So, yeah, I'll buy 'em.

I was going to add "I bet RMA gobbles these up at $1 a pop and goes for the nicer ones at $2 a pop and he's no dope" but I know how you don't like to have words put in your mouth.

I wonder how many copies of these RMA already has :D

I was going to add "I bet RMA gobbles these up at $1 a pop and goes for the nicer ones at $2 a pop and he's no dope" but I know how you don't like to have words put in your mouth.

Overlooked and Undervalued:

X-Factor #9-11

New Mutants #46

Thor #373-374

Power Pack #27

Why?

They are all Mutant Massacre crossovers, and while X-Men #210-213 carry a substantial premium over surrounding issues, these books can be had for little to nothing.

It is was also one of the first (along with the Asgardian War of the year before) of the "titled crossovers" in comics, which have since become standard.

I think X-Factor #10 (or #11) is more likely to get an Apocalypse/Four Horsemen bump than a "Mutant Massacre" one.

DSCF08011.jpg

:whistle:

21 in the box as of a few minutes ago, plus some randoms floating around. Sold 3-4 in the last year. How many 9.8s? Not nearly enough.

I buy them whenever I see them for a good price. I fully believe in McFarlane Amazings. They are the Adams Green Lanterns of the 80's. And, just as Adams experienced a slump in value in the 80's, only to take off in the 90's....well....the only fault these have is saturation (and people still weren't hoarding like they were in the early 90's) and grade (75%+ copies extant are VF/NM or better, as opposed to 75%+ of Adams GLs being Fine or worse.)

I love them and the affordableness of them...once upon a time in the1990s they were hot,and the market feels like 1990 again... :shy:

Do any of the McFarlane ASM's (other than 299-300, natch) have "villain first appearances" in them, no matter how low-key/unknown the character?

DSCF08011.jpg

21 in the box as of a few minutes ago, plus some randoms floating around. Sold 3-4 in the last year. How many 9.8s? Not nearly enough.

I buy them whenever I see them for a good price. I fully believe in McFarlane Amazings. They are the Adams Green Lanterns of the 80's. And, just as Adams experienced a slump in value in the 80's, only to take off in the 90's....well....the only fault these have is saturation (and people still weren't hoarding like they were in the early 90's) and grade (75%+ copies extant are VF/NM or better, as opposed to 75%+ of Adams GLs being Fine or worse.)

That $2 price tag looks familiar. hm

I love them and the affordableness of them...once upon a time in the1990s they were hot,and the market feels like 1990 again... :shy:

Do any of the McFarlane ASM's (other than 299-300, natch) have "villain first appearances" in them, no matter how low-key/unknown the character?

Nope.

DSCF08011.jpg

That $2 price tag looks familiar. hm

I may have a few more of those price tags floating around...