• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Gen #13 black box which apparently holds all the Gen #13 #1 variants. Thank the gods that I don't have to track those suckers down individually. It was one of the 1st multiple variants covers that I recall going nuts back in the early 90's. Back when Image #1's were king. :headbang:

Back when multiple variant covers were so uncommon they could all be given names! All Dolled Up, Lin-GEN-rie, Verti-GEN, GEN-et Jackson, etc...

well, if you want to get technical under that auction's terms it would be an extra 50 cents for combined shipping per book.

so a cost of 51 cents.

yeah, i don't understanding selling like that on ebay.

It's not selling, it's gifting. :grin:

There's actually some really cool stories too. That Millar run on Superman Adventures is definitely worth reading. Probably my favorite Superman run ever.

Try putting together high grade runs of news stand books from the late mid 90's-2004. Some of these things are tough. I finally got a Gen 13 #1 price variant 9.8 recently after searching for one for over a decade. Finding 9.8 candidates in the Amazing spider-man Vol.2 news stand run is proving to be next to impossible. I've sold some that I thought were solid 9.4's for $20. (not the better one's like #19,20 but the more common ones like 1-15)

Superman Adventures, Batman Adventures, Justice League Adventures, TMNT Adventures in 9.8 are going to be worth a good amount one day. There are literally zero 9.8's (or any graded for that matter) on the vast majority of these. Just wait until the kids that were reading these get old enough to buy 9.8 copies.

DC universe variants, and Ama vol.2 1-29 news stand, Spawn news stand,

these are all books that I feel will see a huge increase at some point. It's already started on some of them.

+1 on those adventure books, especially those Batman Adventures. (thumbs u

Think Star Comics on steroids interest wise with the rule of 25 lurking around the corner.

Look, folks...this is reality.

If we ever face the madness of the early 90's...and I mean, by the amount of people and money involved...then the print runs of the late 90's/early 2000's will spark an absolute frenzy.

Every book...every single one...with print runs less than 150,000 for years.

And the good runs....Authority, Planetary, Johns' Flash run, Loeb's Superman run, Ultimate Spiderman, Morrison's JLA...these books will be impossible to find.

There simply aren't any copies that exist. There are no "hoards" of these books hiding, like with Spawn #1, New Mutants #98, X-Force #1, 2, etc.

If you want the books....you must get them now.

Donut has been saying it, I've been saying it, others have been saying it for 10 years now: if you want these books, you have to get them, now, while they're cheap.

I checked out Deadpool books on eBay, and was amazed to see books with print runs in the 30,000s not selling for $4.

I was tempted. And I'm the cheapest guy around.

This isn't hype...I'm not selling them, nor is anyone I know.

If you want these books....get them. Don't delay.

If we ever face the madness of the early 90's...and I mean, by the amount of people and money involved...then the print runs of the late 90's/early 2000's will spark an absolute frenzy.

And the good runs....Authority, Planetary, Johns' Flash run, Loeb's Superman run, Ultimate Spiderman, Morrison's JLA...these books will be impossible to find.

There simply aren't any copies that exist. There are no "hoards" of these books hiding, like with Spawn #1, New Mutants #98, X-Force #1, 2, etc.

Donut has been saying it, I've been saying it, others have been saying it for 10 years now: if you want these books, you have to get them, now, while they're cheap.

I checked out Deadpool books on eBay, and was amazed to see books with print runs in the 30,000s not selling for $4.

+1

I would add that you mentioned the 150,000 print run number to be all inclusive, but the reality is, most of these books are well under 100k, many under 50k print runs.

That is a really, really huge 'if' there.

First of all, this isn't the 90s. There are way more different comics printed today than back in the 90s. The world where everyone followed the same titles/genre/etc. is long over. You can see that in music, TV, movies, and yes, comics. We are in the era of the 'long tail' and I don't ever see us ever going back.

There simply aren't any copies that exist. If you want the books....you must get them now.

I've got about 20,000 of these in HG . . . . :whistle:

Not taking away from your analysis, but in the early 90s how many people that needed copies to read had to pay the premiums because TPBs and digital substitutes weren't around?

Also, there's another point regarding the low print runs on comics....there's an ever-increasing supply of comics being put out, month-after-month.

Not taking away from your analysis, but in the early 90s how many people that needed copies to read had to pay the premiums because TPBs and digital substitutes weren't around?

Also, there's another point regarding the low print runs on comics....there's an ever-increasing supply of comics being put out, month-after-month.

The TPB and digital point is the most compelling one these days. It potentially limits the back issue market to collectors only, as readers don't *have* to own an original copy of the issue to read it.

Most of my local dealers, based on their pricing, have already adopted a stance that considers copper non-keys to be overprinted and near valueless garbage. At the same time, these dealers seem to believe that anything printed even somewhat close to the year 2000 had a micro print-run.

Here's a good example:

MarvelAge27and41_zpsa4ccd2c7.jpg

I think Marvel Age sold under 100,000 copies a month in the mid-1980's, but the dealer was blowing out these comics for about the same price as massively overprinted Excalibur issues.

UXM423_zps08392b4b.jpg

It might be hard to tell from the picture, but this copy has stacking rub and is not even a NM. I bought it for four times the cover price of 25 cents. Incredibly, the other local dealer was selling his copy for $3. This book must have had a massive print run, yet these dealers are charging multiples because they assume it had a small print run. :screwy:

Oh, by the way Uncanny X-Men #423 was, in my opinion, a garbage book. I stopped trying to fill in my UXM collection after I read it.

I will give you 100 times the cover price for that. I like poorly written overpriced junk.

Most of my local dealers, based on their pricing, have already adopted a stance that considers copper non-keys to be overprinted and near valueless garbage. At the same time, these dealers seem to believe that anything printed even somewhat close to the year 2000 had a micro print-run.

Here's a good example:

MarvelAge27and41_zpsa4ccd2c7.jpg

I think Marvel Age sold under 100,000 copies a month in the mid-1980's, but the dealer was blowing out these comics for about the same price as massively overprinted Excalibur issues.

UXM423_zps08392b4b.jpg

It might be hard to tell from the picture, but this copy has stacking rub and is not even a NM. I bought it for four times the cover price of 25 cents. Incredibly, the other local dealer was selling his copy for $3. This book must have had a massive print run, yet these dealers are charging multiples because they assume it had a small print run. :screwy:

Oh, by the way Uncanny X-Men #423 was, in my opinion, a garbage book. I stopped trying to fill in my UXM collection after I read it.

It is definitely time to be buying the good stuff from yesteryear for cheap just in case. They might not ever pop to the extent that they could just because of the fact that the TPB/digital market is so big now, and will be moving forward i would assume. However, if those great books do dry up, and casual readers do become collectors and want original copies someday, we will be kicking ourselves if we don't take action now. It will be one of those " I told you/myself so" moments where we are like :tonofbricks:

Who knows though. I have just beaten myself sooooo many times already when some book/run just starts taking off and I didn't listen to my inner voice long before when they could be had for way cheap.

This is Modern, not Copper, but considering nearly 13,000 people have already jumped on the Valiant Humble Bundle deal (link below), and that number is greater than the average print run of their books right now, and their books are high-quality, we might see a number of new readers trying to get their hands on physical copies of these books. Many of the issues are under 10,000 print run right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

This is Modern, not Copper, but considering nearly 13,000 people have already jumped on the Valiant Humble Bundle deal (link below), and that number is greater than the average print run of their books right now, and their books are high-quality, we might see a number of new readers trying to get their hands on physical copies of these books. Many of the issues are under 10,000 print run right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

I'm guessing the people who jumped on that deal feel $3.99 is too high for these books, but were happy to pay $0.10 for them. Are there physical copies going for $0.10?

Edited by rjrjr

That is a really, really huge 'if' there.

First of all, this isn't the 90s. There are way more different comics printed today than back in the 90s. The world where everyone followed the same titles/genre/etc. is long over. You can see that in music, TV, movies, and yes, comics. We are in the era of the 'long tail' and I don't ever see us ever going back.

That's why my post was prefaced with it.

And there aren't way more different comics printed today than back in the 90's. In 1993, there were over 700 different books published each month. Is that true today? I don't think so.

Again, though, that wasn't my point. The books are extremely rare. My point was that if any of the demand we see for the comparatively monstrous print runs of books from the 80's and early 90's were to shift, there simply wouldn't be enough supply by 10, 20, 50 fold.