• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age book with one interior wrap trimmed-blue label? Qualified?

21 posts in this topic

The first wrap of my Fighting Yank #7 was bound in at a slight angle, and it appears someone took scissors to it to try and bring the edges in line with the rest of the book(I assume scissors because they weren't very good at cutting in a straight line). The trimming does not affect the story.

Which label do you suppose CGC would give this book? Blue with a trimmed notation? Qualified?

Assuming the book was a 6.5 to begin with, how hard a hit do you suppose they'd apply for the trimmed wrap?

Personally, I'd be more bothered by the dust shadow than a trimmed interior page. I don't know what CGC would say, but I'd give it a qualified grade (formerly known as an "otherwise" grade).

Personally, I'd be more bothered by the dust shadow than a trimmed interior page. I don't know what CGC would say, but I'd give it a qualified grade (formerly known as an "otherwise" grade).

It's a complicated issue. If you take a pair of scissors and cut a diagonal slice off the bottom right corner of a book, CGC is going to downgrade for the piece missing and put a blue label on it. But, if you take the same pair of scissors and trim an overhanging page that was bound crooked at the printer, it gets the purple label.

Whoever did the trimming certainly wasn't trying to fool anyone, or they would've made an effort to cut a straight line, which they didn't. I imagine some prior owner just got tired of looking at that one wrap sticking out the side of the book.

To be honest, the PLOD in this case doesn't bother me that much. It's a mid-grade that I paid very little for. I'm just happy to have it at all. Copies of this book are rarely offered for sale. The only copy currently on the market is the Church copy for just shy of 10k.

I wonder if that piece was torn off, not cut with scissors...probably blue label 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess this kind of methods have already been used to remove restoration... intentional damage, but it still makes books more "valuable" mad.gif

I tend to focus on the more traditional Golden Age titles that feature the more well known Superhero characters (I'm a huge Superman fan) but some collect for the art aspect of the covers (and there's a lot of great covers from the Golden Era).

With that being said, I can't say as I've ever heard of this character but it looks to be an interesting one. The cover is awesome! I love war time covers. You just don't see modern books with war covers (and I think that's unfortunate IMO). I'd love the see the X-Men in a War themed storyline with an awesome war cover. The cover would look great if they had the right artist and design (to keep it from looking like a parody).

Given the war time cover, it's safe to say this book is from the 40's. What's the exact year? I just like being able to connect a book to a year. As far as the condition goes, I honestly wouldn't be that concerned with it. If you're collectiing Golden Age titles then you better get used to seeing books with a good amount of flaws, because Golden Age books are very rarely in anything above a 7 grade (and you better have a major bank account for those rare gems that are).

I have resolved myself to the fact that I have to stick to a max price that I won't go over. Else, you'll find yourself pouring all your money into you collection instead of your bills (but, then again, we've all said "to heck with it" at least once).

The dust shadow on that book doesn't bother me in the least (it doesn't hold a candle to the one I recently saw on an Action 29). That Action shadow was the nastiest one I've ever seen. It turned a truely amazing cover into something that was very low on eye appeal and very hard to over look. It was a very Fugly POS to look at. Why the heck I even tried to bid on it is beyond me (chalk it up to temporary insanity) insane.gif

Netmaster, the Fighting Yank #7 is from February of 1944. There's only one copy currently graded, and that's the Church Copy. The book is published by Nedor comics. I started buying them for the Alex Schomburg covers, as I couldn't afford the covers he did for Timely. If you'd like to see other examples of great Nedor war covers, take a look at the "Jeff's Nedors on Parade" thread in the Golden Age forum. Be careful, though, you might become addicted.

As a Superman fan, you might also enjoy the "Jeff's Golden Age Action Comics on Parade" thread and "Jeff's Golden Age Supermans on Parade", also in the Golden Age forum.

To be honest, the PLOD in this case doesn't bother me that much. It's a mid-grade that I paid very little for. I'm just happy to have it at all. Copies of this book are rarely offered for sale.

This is why there doesn't seem to be that big a price drop on GA minor resto. PLOD copies of low to mid grade books versus unrestored. Unless you're a deep pockets HG collector, it's often a matter of just finding a copy in your price range. I've seen PLOD 4.0 Timely's sell on Heritage for considerably more than I paid for a raw and presumably unrestored copy in roughly the same condition on Ebay. As most of the GA books in my collection are raw and fall in the 2.0 - 5.0 range, I worry less about the inevitability of undisclosed restoration on some them, than I would if I collected HG Silver. I once sold a book on Ebay with disclosed restoration for the same amount I paid for it as a supposedly unrestored copy a few months earlier.

Excellent cover by the way, nearmint. Most Schomburg war nedors are still pretty cheap compared to many GA books.