• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink dissatisfaction. Whom do I complain too?

112 posts in this topic

Anyway, I can see why you're upset.

It's not SCS, it was graded that way.

Moral of the story...never buy anything without being able to see it. Lick and a promise don't mean squat.

What are you talking about? The LRC of the fc is absolutely SCS.

Yup.

Moral of the story...never buy anything without being able to see it. Lick and a promise don't mean squat.

Yup.

Yup, I agree with the SCS too. For the lower front cover anyway. Hope they let you return it.

I hear what the OP is saying, but what can CL do? They have 2 options -- either agree to sell the book and advertise it using the grade made by an independent 3rd party (CGC), or not sell it. But if they decide not to sell it, aren't they effectively getting into the business of grading? And how can they do that?

Why would they not?

Stand behind your product and protect your reputation.

If CL sold a raw book advertised as 9.2, and it clearly wasn't, then I'd agree with you.

But CL sold a book graded by CGC as 9.2. How can CL verify the grade without breaking open the slab, or knowing CGC's parameters for 9.2? The whole point of CGC and other 3rd party graders is to take the grading ball out of the hands of the seller. In fact, I'm sure that's why CL's normal policy is to not accept returns on CGC books.

The OP's beef is with CGC not CL.

Yup.

Yup, I agree with the SCS too. For the lower front cover anyway. Hope they let you return it.

How does SCS happen in a way that affects almost two inches of the side, but the extreme lower corner isn't pushed down like the rest of it? Look closely at the lower-left corner from the back cover scan I re-posted below. If it were SCS, it should be isolated to the corner or include it, but an impact along part of the overhanging front cover that doesn't include the corner looks like something other than SCS. Either way, CGC fairly consistently allows dented overhang in the 9.2 range, so it looks within their standards for the grade.

The lower spine looks like a bindery chip that tore off. I've got a few books like that, and a few with bindery chips that are still barely hanging on. Both of these defects are examples of CGC downgrading less for manufacturing problems.

giantsizedkidcolt2backcover001_zps776e144c.jpg

Yup.

How does SCS happen in a way that affects almost two inches of the side, but the extreme lower corner isn't pushed down like the rest of it? Look closely at the lower-left corner from the back cover scan I re-posted below. If it were SCS, it should be isolated to the corner or include it, but an impact along part of the overhanging front cover that doesn't include the corner looks like something other than SCS. Either way, CGC fairly consistently allows dented overhang in the 9.2 range, so it looks within their standards for the grade.

The lower spine looks like a bindery chip that tore off. I've got a few books like that, and a few with bindery chips that are still barely hanging on. Both of these defects are examples of CGC downgrading less for manufacturing problems.

giantsizedkidcolt2backcover001_zps776e144c.jpg

Yup.

You can easily see it on the front too.

Capture3_zps5ed4acf9.png

lol

Ok...you go with that then.

You do realize that Beyonder was the one that termed the phrase "SCS", right? I think he knows it when he sees it. lol

Exactly, that LRC looks pretty much like this, only on the bottom instead of the top. At any point along the length of the open edge, the paper overhang on these books can slide into the wedge seal, or it can bend back from the wedge seal. Unfortunately, these books are too thick to use the other type of sealed inner well so this is what you get. :(

gsxmen1_scs_zps3ba7eee8.jpg

lol

You do realize that Beyonder was the one that termed the phrase "SCS", right? I think he knows it when he sees it. lol

lol

Exactly, that LRC looks pretty much like this, only on the bottom instead of the top. At any point along the length of the open edge, the paper overhang on these books can slide into the wedge seal, or it can bend back from the wedge seal. Unfortunately, these books are too thick to use the other type of sealed inner well so this is what you get. :(

The seal is only on one side.

The book shows the defect on both sides.

Uh, no it doesn't. :gossip:

Any more questions about the propensity for Bronze Age Giant Size Marvels to suffer SCS due to the design of CGC's inner well? (shrug)

I'm here all day, and it's Friday! :acclaim:

kidcoltback_scs_zpsadcb2356.jpg

Uh, no it doesn't. :gossip:

Any more questions about the propensity for Bronze Age Giant Size Marvels to suffer SCS due to the design of CGC's inner well? (shrug)

I'm here all day, and it's Friday! :acclaim:

kidcoltback_scs_zpsadcb2356.jpg

lol

You're right. I should have blown that pic up.

I will now eat my crow lunch. :)

That's an interesting example, I don't recall seeing cover overhang slip into the inner well's seal like that before now. With conditionfreak's book, I can't really tell...in that GS X-Men 1 the cover is actually still inside the wedge seal in the scan, but I don't see that it is in conditionfreak's book. Which doesn't mean that it didn't used to be inside the seal and slid back out.

Your beef is not with Comiclink! When you make the decision to buy a book you should judge a book by it's appearance not by the grade that is on the CGC label! EJR