• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something Old, Something New

18 posts in this topic

Or, I stepped on a Smurf, now my shoe is Blue

I have been toying with the idea of collecting something else. I tried with Locke & Key. I even thought the Thing would be good and snagged a good amount of Ka-Zar the Savage. I could spend hours staring at Bagofleas collection since he and I share some of the same loves (Rom, Alpha Flight, and Dazzler for example), although not as great the New Mutants, which is an underrated point value with 202 sets. I realized for me to have the desire to compete must also have a foundation in my childhood.

I have wanted to get the X-Men from issues 160 (although I started at 180) until 231. I could collect Iron Man from 175 to 200, a great issue run. Then there is Elfquest or Groo. I completed my raw Daredevil run. Do I dare start getting those same books encapsulated regardless of grade? Or should I just concentrate on issues 158 through 191? And what about the Marko Djurdjevic cover set that appeared this year?

I have had East of West, Ten Grand, and Lazarus signed at the NYCC. Could I change my mind and keep these when they return allowing me to start fresh? And then will I continue? I had the chance to get the New Mutants in a 9.8 as they came out, but passed on the opportunity. Why would I keep going with something that was not ingrained in my youth? I started to think, and I started to look calculating what I could possibly get (and spend). And then I thought, yea, that's it. I'll get something new.

Thanks for reading

Tnerb

PS. This does not cut into my desire to have the first ten issues of Daredevil signed by Stan Lee, nor does it negate the hope to acquire issues 119-129 of ASM in a 9.6 SS.

14508.JPG

See more journals by Tnerb

You know... Elfquest has crossed my mind several times in the past few months. Even saw Issue #1 at the comic con last weekend and was tempted. Hmmm..... It's tough, put some thought into it before you start, it's sucks to change your mind after you start...

Let's hope he didn't decide to buy the clue issues on ComicLink and wait until he has them in hand to post. We probably would be able to guess by going through the Overstreet and naming every comic series by then. zzz

Last weekend I pulled a UK pence cover Marvel out of a dollar box in Indiana. It was a 70s Nova in GD+ or so, but I thought "what a life this book must've had to be bought in Europe and wind up in a discount bin in Indiana." I thought that was too sad, but since I know a foreign variant collector to give it to, it will be able to retire to a good home.