• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Long Term Investment?? BA 12 vs WD 19

86 posts in this topic

TWD #19

8,000 vs 75,000

Michonne is proving to be a constant on an ever changing show. Harley looks different every year. The statues etc have been out for ages.

This is the big *bang* for the character. There are simply too many out there to sustain the $1000+ figures being thrown around for a 9.8.

$1000 for a comic with 75,000 copies? Now if HQ gets a feature film of her own, then that's a whole new game, but as things stand right NOW then Michonne is better equipped to be a more stable comic.

I would dread to have paid $1000 and then someone finds 2000 copies in pristine condition in a forgotten warehouse. Obviously I do not wish that to happen. The other factor, is that TWD has not been on free-to-air as far as I know, anywhere yet. It's on cable in the states? Its on Fox here and I assume sky in the UK.

Outside of the US, cable is not as common - certainly here 60-65% of people rely on FTA - so the potential for new viewers - and buyers is enormous.

HQ? Outside of the comic fraternity, I am not sure she will appeal to many over 30,s.

2c

Walking Dead 19's print run is close to 20K, not 8K. Also BA12 is a borderline kids book, so almost every copy you find out there in the wild is thrashed. WD19 was bought by readers too, but adult readers. I honestly don't think print run is a factor here.

I agree with most everything else you said though.

17,222 Touche' my Friend. I will go back and change my post.

Define long term...

Rule of 25 long term?

Harley's a 20 yo character & Michonne is an 8 yo character. My kids know who Harley Quinn is, but they LOVE TWD. My bet is they will hunt down a WD19 thirteen years from now but probably not BA12 in 5 years

Define long term...

Rule of 25 long term?

Harley's a 20 yo character & Michonne is an 8 yo character. My kids know who Harley Quinn is, but they LOVE TWD. My bet is they will hunt down a WD19 thirteen years from now but probably not BA12 in 5 years

Did your kids pick up on the WD all by themselves or did you have some sort of push there? I'm sure they discovered Harley without your help.

What happens when Michonne gets killed? :fear: Furthermore Ebay search "Harley Quinn" 4,968 items (1642 comics) vs "Michonne" 2626 items (516 comics). Harley is twice the character, BA12 sells for twice a WD19, and been around twice as long. Michonne is only important to the WD vs Harley is important to DC. DC would never kill off Harley. Michonne could be gone any given Sunday. (yes thats where I want all my eggs :ohnoez: )

TWD #19

8,000 vs 75,000

Michonne is proving to be a constant on an ever changing show. Harley looks different every year. The statues etc have been out for ages.

This is the big *bang* for the character. There are simply too many out there to sustain the $1000+ figures being thrown around for a 9.8.

$1000 for a comic with 75,000 copies? Now if HQ gets a feature film of her own, then that's a whole new game, but as things stand right NOW then Michonne is better equipped to be a more stable comic.

I would dread to have paid $1000 and then someone finds 2000 copies in pristine condition in a forgotten warehouse. Obviously I do not wish that to happen. The other factor, is that TWD has not been on free-to-air as far as I know, anywhere yet. It's on cable in the states? Its on Fox here and I assume sky in the UK.

Outside of the US, cable is not as common - certainly here 60-65% of people rely on FTA - so the potential for new viewers - and buyers is enormous.

HQ? Outside of the comic fraternity, I am not sure she will appeal to many over 30,s.

2c

Again, where are you getting 75k? Later issues from the same run indicate printings closer to 35-40k. At least when looking at the data I know of.

It's wayyyyy over 100k for B.A. #12. You cannot look at the numbers from the end of the series, that was around the time of the market crashing. #12 came out during the peak of the boom period, and that book was everywhere in quantity. And because it was a "kids" book, there were tons of newsstand versions printed.

hard to see you as anything but biased on this one Junkster lol

btw, i agree, BA12 is the choice in this thread

Just the cold hard facts. I cant explain why BA12 in 9.8 has recently sold for $750 (ebay), $730 (boards), $1000 (ebay) Its just the facts. As many as there may be as, some like to guess hasnt changes the "Fact" that there isnt a single 9.8 for sale on ebay. "Fact is, in 9.8, the book is quite limited. The registry still boasts 98 copies in 9.8 while other grades have popped up in the last month, but not more than a handful at best. What everyone is seeing happening is simply the effects of supply and demand. I began to compare BA12 against WD1 a while back. As a reminder WD1 last summer was selling for 1700 and even a sale of 1675 (on ebay) and I can only see that number becoming lower next summer as the show's absence becomes more signifigant between series 4 and 5. I can even more clearly now see these 2 books in 9.8 closer to equal terms by then.

Why has this lasted 6 pages. Michonne can kick the bucket at any time. She is a TV show and a comic book that will end soon. She isn't iconic and I don't think she will ever reach it.

Harley never ever going away. She it part of DC forever now. They wont kill her and they will eventually overexpose her like Marvel does their characters. Just wait another month and have this argument again when she has her new series out. Where is Michonne's own series?

Again, where are you getting 75k? Later issues from the same run indicate printings closer to 35-40k. At least when looking at the data I know of.

It's wayyyyy over 100k for B.A. #12. You cannot look at the numbers from the end of the series, that was around the time of the market crashing. #12 came out during the peak of the boom period, and that book was everywhere in quantity. And because it was a "kids" book, there were tons of newsstand versions printed.

Correct... direct editions of #12 would be around 95,000 copies.

Newsstand are not included in that count.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.comics.misc/ua52laz7cdg

Using known print runs from Valiant titles at the time, the value of one index point was 5,250 that month.

That puts (#5 seller) X-Men #306 at 525,000 copies... and (#129 seller) Batman Adventures #14 at 89,250 copies.

Doing a similar calculation for Batman Adventures #15 and #16 results in:

BA #15 = 87,000

BA #16 = 83,250

So... using these numbers from 1993, it's likely that Batman Adventures #12 sold around 100,000 (most likely in the 92,000 to 96,000 range).

These would be direct editions only... and the newsstand numbers would be separate.

Additionally, the 95,000 estimate would be first month sales only... and North American sales only.

Throw in another 5% to 10% for other markets and re-orders, and you're over 100K for direct editions.

Correct... direct editions of #12 would be around 95,000 copies.

Newsstand are not included in that count.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.comics.misc/ua52laz7cdg

Using known print runs from Valiant titles at the time, the value of one index point was 5,250 that month.

That puts (#5 seller) X-Men #306 at 525,000 copies... and (#129 seller) Batman Adventures #14 at 89,250 copies.

Doing a similar calculation for Batman Adventures #15 and #16 results in:

BA #15 = 87,000

BA #16 = 83,250

So... using these numbers from 1993, it's likely that Batman Adventures #12 sold around 100,000 (most likely in the 92,000 to 96,000 range).

These would be direct editions only... and the newsstand numbers would be separate.

Additionally, the 95,000 estimate would be first month sales only... and North American sales only.

Throw in another 5% to 10% for other markets and re-orders, and you're over 100K for direct editions.

where are they all at then, because this book has dried up