• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best deal you have ever gotten on a comic?

190 posts in this topic

I got a bunch of low print run later period dark horse aliens vs predator comics out of a 50 cent box and flipped them on ebay around the time the second horrible movie came out. People were going nuts for them. Some of the minis sold for like 60-90 dollars and were probably only worth the 50 cents I paid.

I've never really "scored" a great deal at the outset. Mostly i've bought a comic at a fair price and it has a jump in popularity and spikes in price.

However, I still think back to the AF15 I bought for $800 back in 1990. It's long gone now. :(

Bought a FF #1 coverless, at a second hand store. I asked how much the two comic books the seller had on the table were, and he said .25 cents each. They were a coverless FF #1 and a Bugs Bunny comic from the 80's. He only had the two comics.

I gave him a dollar and said to keep the change.

I wasn't sure it was an original FF #1 until I got home and started checking. I thought it might have been a reprint at first. But I learned it was in fact the original.

This is of course, not counting the books I bought off the shelf in the early 60's for cover price or less. Like ASM #1.

Back in 1988 someone had comics listed for sale in the newspaper. He had about 1400( silver and bronze) books almost all marvel and wanted 50 cents a piece. I asked him what he would take for everything and he said 50 cents a piece, no bulk deal. I bought more then half. When I was about to leave he told me he had a few more in back. He comes out with Spider-man 2, 3 and 9. I asked how much and he said he would have to get a dollar a piece for these. Some of the other books were Journey into Mystery 112(cgc 8.5), 3 copies Amazing Spider-man 122( 1 came back cgc 9.4), 121, Fantastic Four 49, 52.

I've had really good luck in the last few months.

Bought a lower grade TTA 13 for $50 sold it for $900. Purchased both Marvel Collectable Classics: Spider-Man issues for ten bucks a pop, sent to CGC and received 9.8s on both.

My best though is from a few years ago. I bought an advertised VF- ebay TTA44 for $300, sent it to Joey for a squish and it came back 8.5.