• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Perez on Comic Book Men tonight

10 posts in this topic

There's just so much feigned awe and interest I cant watch more than 3 minutes of this show on fast forward for most of it.

What the producers think is "entertainment" vs what I think is entertainment has a wide gulf between it.

The shows really no different than Pickers or Pawn Stars. The difference being on Pickers I get to meet some unique characters (people they meet on the road to pick), and hear some interesting historical stories that I didnt know (about places, or objects). Pawn stars has plenty of the second part of that too, though Pawn Stars version of "shop entertainment" seems just as canned and scripted as the stuff in Comic Book Men, so I fast forward thru that part.

I guess the show (Comic book men) is just designed for people with a passing interest in comic books, but no knowledge. If you like comics, and have a decent knowledge of them and their history you are just going to hear a lot of banter & stories about stuff that you already know.

There's just so much feigned awe and interest I cant watch more than 3 minutes of this show on fast forward for most of it.

What the producers think is "entertainment" vs what I think is entertainment has a wide gulf between it.

The shows really no different than Pickers or Pawn Stars. The difference being on Pickers I get to meet some unique characters (people they meet on the road to pick), and hear some interesting historical stories that I didnt know (about places, or objects). Pawn stars has plenty of the second part of that too, though Pawn Stars version of "shop entertainment" seems just as canned and scripted as the stuff in Comic Book Men, so I fast forward thru that part.

I guess the show (Comic book men) is just designed for people with a passing interest in comic books, but no knowledge. If you like comics, and have a decent knowledge of them and their history you are just going to hear a lot of banter & stories about stuff that you already know.

Very well put :hi:

I never said t was an award winner, but listening to the guys around the microphones is fun, and surprises like G. Perez this week and the lovely Baltimore Lauren last week, make it worth watching.

:)

-slym

THIS. It would be an awesome show to have a "Comic Book Picker" that goes around (like the Toy Hunter) and finds collections, evaluates them, and such.

Love George P as well (Infinity Gauntlet :cloud9: )

9759439321_1fc6c3baac.jpg