• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alamo City Comic Con Report

133 posts in this topic

He's not just a Hobbit, he actually is short in person which kind of surprised me.

10530728683_f04d91cbef_z.jpg

Alamo City Comic Con-182 by DWShoots, on Flickr

Jackson wanted all of the hobbits to be almost the same height, so almost all of the actors who played them are all within an inch of 5' 6". That's true of "The Hobbit" movies as well where Martin Freeman is 5' 6".

Great report Don! The show promoters did a fantastic job right out the gate. There were problems but nothing major. Sales were good but, even though there were a lot of transactions, they seemed to be smaller dollar amounts. I think the crowd did not know what to expect. Next year they will be better prepared. There were several good dealers there. Cory from Funny Books had his new inventory there. Rick (Bubbagump) had a larger set up which was great to see. His inventory keeps getting better every show! Boyd from Black Cat Comics was there with his typical nice selection of Silver Age keys and some great Golden Age romance comics he just recently picked up. Heroes and Fantasies were there and I was impressed with their selection. They are a large local store that was a sponsor for the show. Boyd and I picked up some nice books from them, including some cool 50's Atlas horror books. Overall, it was a good show and it has a promising future.

Were there any comics at this show or just cosplayers? I can't tell by the pictures. :baiting:

The show was so crowded and busy I didn't get to see any others other than the booth I was at. :baiting:

Seriously though, Duncanville, Black Cat, Bubba Gump, etc. all had great selections as usual.

There were also some people I had never seen before with some nice selections.

If Roger is reading this: Boy was I wrong! Set up next year!

Yeah. :tonofbricks:

Great report Don! The show promoters did a fantastic job right out the gate. There were problems but nothing major. Sales were good but, even though there were a lot of transactions, they seemed to be smaller dollar amounts. I think the crowd did not know what to expect. Next year they will be better prepared. There were several good dealers there. Cory from Funny Books had his new inventory there. Rick (Bubbagump) had a larger set up which was great to see. His inventory keeps getting better every show! Boyd from Black Cat Comics was there with his typical nice selection of Silver Age keys and some great Golden Age romance comics he just recently picked up. Heroes and Fantasies were there and I was impressed with their selection. They are a large local store that was a sponsor for the show. Boyd and I picked up some nice books from them, including some cool 50's Atlas horror books. Overall, it was a good show and it has a promising future.
Yeah, I didn't even realize H&F had any vintage stuff any more. The shop they used to have in my area (since shut down) was the single most unimpressive comic shop I've ever been in in every respect. I guess he was hiding the good stuff elsewhere.

The manager that I spoke with told me that they have had the books in the back and didn't put the books out to the public much because they didn't want them handled often. After talking to a couple of people that know them, I expect that they brought the books out to the show to raise some capitol because they just moved to a larger location. The prices were all over the place but there were some deals to be had. They also had books that we just come across very often and we are trying to build our Golden Age inventory up, as you know. We have to buy it when we see it.

My boss and her friends went to San Antonio this weekend. I got a text, "Darth Vader just walked past the window of the restaurant." I said, "There's a comic con right near where you are." The response? "That explains everything odd we've seen."

For shame, though, no Lauren Cohan pics!