• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about restoring a Golden Age book. Please Help!

9 posts in this topic

I recently encountered a Golden Age auction where the seller mentions that the book has a dust shadow on the cover that could be easily taken care of with restoration.

Is such a flaw possible? Does it harm the book in the long run? Is it better to just leave it be?

Also I waned to know. If I had a valuable Golden Age book that I had no intention of slabbing, what would be the best product or products to store it in? Is there such a thing as non CGC slabs?

I would like to get recommendations on products that I should consider keeping my non slabbed Goldens in (non CGC) including where I might buy them (what sites etc.).

I know I have come to the right place because there are some major collectors on these boards that deal in high value comics.

Thank you all very much for your time. I hope to get a lot of prompt responses from you. hail.gif

Welcome to the Boards!! yay.gif

Conventional wisdom would say not to restore a book solely due to a dust shadow. Except for very high grade levels, CGC does not even deduct for dust shadows. Frankly, what you gain by removing the shadow will be far outweighted by the value lost by turning the book into a PLOD (Purple Label of Doom).

But, if the book is for you and it would be much more aesthetically pleasing for YOU if the shadow was removed, go for it. Some folks here are anti-restoration in almost any case... I subscribe to the theory that it's your book, and if you want to make it look nicer with professional restoration/conservation, that's your perogative.

Regarding storage, there have been a multitude of threads here. You can search for them or here is a more recent thread that was in Comics General

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=615174&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

It's gonna take a lot of dough (I'm just a poor college boy folks) but I'm gonna try to

get it. It's a pretty big dust shadow but it doesn't totally ruin the cover.

The book is a very hard to find one, and is one that I've seen sell for a lot of dollars,

usually over a thousand easy, for a CGC'd copy that is in the same condition (I'm

talking about what I've consistently seen it sell for, not it's Overstreet value).

I think it is in great condition for a unrestored book that's from the early 40's even

with the small tear and dings in the spine (that are barely noticeable to me). It is my oppinion that you have to be a little leniant in grading a Golden book.

Otherwise, it is still attached to the body with the origional staples and is completely intact with all the pages . Right now it is only around 400 and I seriously doub't I'll ever see another one for that cheap as anything over 700 is beyond my means (again poor college boy) frown.gif

I might post the picks if I win it. I'm just scared I'll be laughed at for being a fool to

pay the amount I'll probably end up paying (but it's worth it to me so I hope you go

easy on me).

Well wish me luck in the auction. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif