• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I press?

22 posts in this topic

My very 1st submission to CGC was this New Mutants 98 which I bought a year ago off EBAY described as NM.

When I received it and noticed a stain on bar code I contacted seller and got some money back as it obviously wasnt NM.

Other than that only think wrong with this book I noticed is small ding in bottom back cover corner.

I was surprised to get such a low grade of a 6.5. Even the comic shop owner where I picked it up at was shocked and said it looks much better than that.

Question, It's already a CGC SS by Rob Liefeld, I want to get Stan Lee to sign it this weekend at Comikaze. I would only do this if by pressing my Grade could jump to at least a 7.

I've never had a book pressed before so don't know if it will greatly benefit my book.

What do you all think?

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/shazzzam2013/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbd8027b9.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/shazzzam2013/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsaca94199.jpg

cut your losses and invest in a better grade. Great book but not much difference for the additional investment. If money doesnt matter then just go for it :)

Looks WAY better than a 6.5, the CGC Grader's girlfriend probably broke up with him that day and you paid the price :roflmao:

Why does the inexperienced think a press will cure anything ? It's a press, nothing more. It cannot remove stains, color breaks, tears, etc.

Pressing a 6.5 book is NOT worth it. BTW, You have to pay for grader's notes. Again, NOT worth it on a 6.5 book. Sorry.

Found the link and paid for grader notes.....guess I'm blind becuase I only saw a stain on bar code, not through whole bottom of book........probably not worth pressing then :(

Left Bottom Whole Book Multiple Stain

Spine Multiple Stress Lines Breaks Color

Thank You solarcadet and Pete Marino.

To the rest, it reminds me why I usually lurk and not post. Some on these boards are friendly to people fairly new to hobby while others can be sarcastic and/or nerd snobs I guess.

I had never submitted a book to be graded before and of course had never pressed or seen benefits of pressing and that's why I posted this topic and seeked out more seasoned advice.

Time to upgrade my book and cut losses on that one.

It still is a signature series so that's still good, you can always get the grader notes and get better information on what to look out for in the future. I don't know what CGC are like now days in grading moderns but in the past they can slam books with the slightest of wear.

To the rest, it reminds me why I usually lurk and not post. Some on these boards are friendly to people fairly new to hobby while others can be sarcastic and/or nerd snobs I guess.

I had never submitted a book to be graded before and of course had never pressed or seen benefits of pressing and that's why I posted this topic and seeked out more seasoned advice.

It's good that you spoke up. :applause:

Not everybody on the boards is considerate of a persons knowledge or experience in this hobby. Please don't let the rude comments keep you from posting in the future. Some of the people on these boards don't know how to be courteous and respectful of others. (tsk)

I hope that the comments made don't keep you from participating on the boards, here in particular. Although some of the comments may not have been made with the intention of being rude not everybody gets it. ;)

Welcome to the boards regardless! :foryou:

Found the link and paid for grader notes.....guess I'm blind becuase I only saw a stain on bar code, not through whole bottom of book........probably not worth pressing then :(

Left Bottom Whole Book Multiple Stain

Spine Multiple Stress Lines Breaks Color

I am surprised it received a 6.5 with that extensive of a stain. Always inspect each page of any higher dollar book you purchase.

Did I ever mention I hate stains?

Additionally, only 2 people can do a CPR on a yellow label book. That and the fact a SS submission costs more in general would lend me to suggest you sell this copy, and then invest in a better copy later on down the road.

Just my 2c

Not everybody on the boards is considerate of a persons knowledge or experience in this hobby. Please don't let the rude comments keep you from posting in the future. Some of the people on these boards don't know how to be courteous and respectful of others. (tsk)

I hope that the comments made don't keep you from participating on the boards, here in particular. Although some of the comments may not have been made with the intention of being rude not everybody gets it. ;)

I dig your book hope you dont think i was knocking it in anyway :foryou:

There are tons of NM98s out there in better grades to hold more water for your dollar

man between that NM98 and ASM300 those books are big money for so many in the Census

Yah I got burned on that one as it was advertised as Near Mint and it was one of my first books I bought when I got into the hobby a year ago, Oh well you live and you learn.

Whe I complained about the stain the seller gave me back $10 so I ended up paying $60 + $20 liefeld signing fee + $45 CGC Signature Fee so hopefully I'll at least break even on ebay

Definitely going to sell and add some more funds to it for a better copy of the book.

Once again, I appreciate every ones feedback.

kumba-freakin-ya :insane:

Yah I got burned on that one as it was advertised as Near Mint and it was one of my first books I bought when I got into the hobby a year ago, Oh well you live and you learn.

Whe I complained about the stain the seller gave me back $10 so I ended up paying $60 + $20 liefeld signing fee + $45 CGC Signature Fee so hopefully I'll at least break even on ebay

Definitely going to sell and add some more funds to it for a better copy of the book.

Once again, I appreciate every ones feedback.

Shazzam, first off I apologize for my comment :foryou: . It was not meant to be a slam against a newbie question, more of a slam against pressing. Pressing is a good thing for the minor folds and creases. However, of late, it is becoming a weapon of mass destruction with really nice books being squished beyond recognition. Welcome to the Boards and I wish you luck on your E-Bay sale, you are making the right move. (thumbs u