• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reporting Negative Feedback from a Seller...

19 posts in this topic

How do you report a seller who leaves a buyer a negative comment disguised in a positive feedback rating?

It's easy to report neg feedback from a buyer, but anyone know how to do it for a seller? (looking for specific steps here, I can't seem to find anything anywhere on eBay's "user friendly" layout).

Thanks for your help!

Never mind...found it (i think)

In case anyone ever runs into this interesting phenomenon, go to "Contact eBay", answer all their prompts about your issue, and eventually you'll get to a section involving removing feedback comments that you received from a seller.

"Poor communication. Left me negative feedback. BEWARE!"

...even though I didn't, I left them a 100% positive feedback rating, with some constructive criticism in the comment (thumbs u

They were just upset that I eluded to the fact that my book was damaged in shipping, which it was because it was simply put in an envelope, not bagged and boarded, no bubble wrap, just an envelope. Showed up to my house creased in half. As a seller, I chose not to leave them a negative feedback rating, thought I was doing them a favor considering how many comics they appear to sell on eBay. Lesson learned on my part I guess.

As a seller, I chose not to leave them a negative feedback rating, thought I was doing them a favor considering how many comics they appear to sell on eBay.

This makes absolutely no sense. You gave them a pass because you sell comics on eBay and because they sell lots of comics?

Yeah, in hindsight it doesn't make much sense. I've never left anyone negative feedback, guess I'm too nice, but I did want other buyers to know that the seller doesn't take any precautions when shipping.

I lot of what I do doesn't make sense lol

Do you mind sharing the seller's name? He sounds like someone folks may want to avoid.

Is that cool? Havent been around a long time here, never "outed" someone, is that breaking any rules? Is a PM more appropriate?

People maybe read the first 25 positive fb's if that. Otherwise, it just gets pushed down the line depending on how fast you accumulate them and it quickly becomes a non-issue.

Based on your issue with his poor shipping, I would have sent him a nice PM with constructive criticism saying something like "please try to package better in the future between thick cardboard as my book was damaged" instead of saying that in your fb.

Also, I would now not escalate anything to Ebay since in the long run it's probably not a big deal.

2c

No one is reading individual positive feed backs anyway.

Thats why after I win an item, I always send the seller a detailed message with packaging requests. It avoids issues before they come up. Although I just had one guy get snappy with me for "telling him how to ship his books". I responded that I was asking, not telling, and it was for his benefit, so I wouldnt have to leave him negative feedback after recieving a damged book. His response? "How about I pack it like I do all my books, and if youre not happy when it gets there. Just leave me the negative feedback."

Some people just miss the point entirely.

Thats why after I win an item, I always send the seller a detailed message with packaging requests. It avoids issues before they come up. Although I just had one guy get snappy with me for "telling him how to ship his books". I responded that I was asking, not telling, and it was for his benefit, so I wouldnt have to leave him negative feedback after recieving a damged book. His response? "How about I pack it like I do all my books, and if youre not happy when it gets there. Just leave me the negative feedback."

Maybe you should message the seller before you win or bid on the item and ask how he packages his books for shipping. Waiting until after you win, and then telling the seller how you want it packed, is bad form. These things should be ironed out before the sale. By bidding and winning, without communicating ahead of time, you're accepting their terms, which includes shipping methods.

If you contact them beforehand, and don't like how they pack, move on. No point wasting time getting damaged books, when there are tons of sellers out there that know how to pack books for shipping.

Maybe, but I've left similar polite messages for people and they've thanked me for constructive criticism. Maybe, they were just blowing smoke but I felt better, tried to actually help and avoided any drama.

None of these were major FUBARs on grails or expensive books but cheap books with, I think, less than 100 fb sellers. I should add that someone once took the time to politely educate me back in the day too and I took the criticism to heart and just try to talk the walk.

Stump--I can only assume a response to a PM to be "I have been packing like this for years and never had a problem" or it was "The Post Offices fault"

Maybe you should message the seller before you win or bid on the item and ask how he packages his books for shipping. Waiting until after you win, and then telling the seller how you want it packed, is bad form. These things should be ironed out before the sale. By bidding and winning, without communicating ahead of time, you're accepting their terms, which includes shipping methods.

If you contact them beforehand, and don't like how they pack, move on. No point wasting time getting damaged books, when there are tons of sellers out there that know how to pack books for shipping.

Huh? Whatever you are buying on eBay, you have a reasonable expectation that it arrives undamaged. Just because you didn't inquire ahead of time in no way means that you are accepting a shipping method that results in the delivery of a damaged book.

Huh? Whatever you are buying on eBay, you have a reasonable expectation that it arrives undamaged. Just because you didn't inquire ahead of time in no way means that you are accepting a shipping method that results in the delivery of a damaged book.

I meant that shipping directions, instructions, etc., should be known before bidding. If you know you want things sent in a specific manner, work it out ahead of time. Otherwise, the seller is going to ship how he ships. Just because he doesn't pack it the way you might want, doesn't mean it's going to arrive damaged.

I was talking about people that send requests after they won the item, assuming they know how to pack better than the seller does. Sometimes they do, most times they don't.

Thanks for weighing in. EBay did remove the False Positive comment, fyi.

Stump - I understand your original suggestion, I did consider sending a message instead, but the I had to ask myself, what's the point of the feedback system? Isn't it mainly for future buyers benefit? If I simply wrote a private message containing a suggestion for future shipping methods, they could easily ignore/disregard it and continue shipping irresponsibly. I just think collectors deserve to know the truth about a seller's shipping methods, good or bad.

Either way, it was resolved.

I have to say, I know how to pack books and might be rubbed the wrong way by a message such as this. I understand your reasoning, and would never respond the way this guy did, but I know I wouldn't care for someone telling me. or asking me, to pack a certain way.

-slym