• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Printings more valuable and rare than First Printings..... posted by roninduelist

15 posts in this topic

Second Printings more valuable and rare than First Printings?

Is it just me or am I noticing that some second printings are much rarer and valuable than the first. For example, Walking Dead #33 (Blue Cover) Second Print, is on average, going for 5 times the value of it's First Print counter part.

Walking Dead #2 Second Printing is extremely difficult to find in 9.8 Grade, and is going for about the same price as it's First Print counter part.

Anybody have some books from their favorite sets that fall under this trend?

14555.jpg

See more journals by roninduelist

Well, in the CGC realm, up until recently, 2nd prints just weren't submitted that often due to the old school concept of first prints being more valuable.

But for those obsessive CGC collectors out there who want 9.8 or better graded copies of every print and/or variant of every issue in a series, they will gladly pay as much or more for later printings of issues because of the rarity of them being submitted.

Stephen Kings Dark Tower comics were like this. I remember seeing the 3rd and 4th printings of the first issue going for a lot more than the first or even second printings. Partly because of the lower print run of the later printings and partly because each successive printing had a different Variant cover.

This, of course, made them highly collectible to CGC fanatics, like us.

So it can be because of completionists, or because there are simply less of the them floating around out there. Or both!

Heck, I bought and sold for a profit two different old school 2nd prints.

One was The Dark Knight Returns #3 2nd printing, which I profited $40 on, and the other was Predator #1 2nd printing, which I profited $50 on.

Not too shabby for what most would consider less valuable copies in raw form.

I remember Marvel Graphic Novels went through several print runs during their early years... but the cover remained the same. So I don't see those later printings selling for premium over the first print editions. Case in point, I have a third printing of the Death of Captain Marvel which I bought when I was 13. If graded it could get anywhere between 9.2 - 9.4... but who wants a Third Print run with the same cover as the first?

But BOG... you are so correct that this current trend is a symptom of the modern times and the variant cover craze. And the completist in all of us and the emergence of the CGC helps to fuel it.

Will it have staying power?

More than likely if different artists are continually utilized providing different covers thus providing greater opportunities for signature series variances between print runs of the same issue, and, couple that with shorter print runs which further adds to the mystique and allure of these harder to find comics.

I myself don't appreciate the later print runs. I am still old schooled and see them as step children that couldn't make the first cut. So I am a first print run snob.

However, I will hypocritically say, I understand and have accepted the Variant Cover craze so long as they remain in the same print run... but I will only collect Variant Covers of First Print Runs.

SW3D

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on printings are really hit and miss. I mean you’ve given some great examples of additional printings that are of course worth more than their original printing and really the biggest reasoning behind it is that there are fewer numbers released.

To me its simple hit and miss. With the New Mutants when I was younger I was certain the 2nd printing of #87 was a shoe in for the money compared to its first printing counterpart. I mean their were fewer released and it’s a gold cover… gold… Really who wants orange over gold? Apparently everyone except for the completionist’s like myself, Tnerb, Bagofleas, and a few others. Simply going off ebay sales your looking at the average #87 1st printing going from anywhere around $165 - $225. Then again your 2nd printing is still stuck around $90 and isn’t going anywhere. Using the same series though and the first printing of New Mutants #100 is going for anywhere around $65 - $120. But the 3rd printing though is hard pressed to find as low as $100.

Another series Avengers vs X-Men, one of my favorites has over 20 additional printings throughout the series yet none of them go for anything over the first printings.

All just hit and miss I guess. As for the completionist I think that’s just about the only reason Marvel or DC for that matter does it. I don’t see your average shopper when I was heading out on Wednesday’s ever going by the additional printing section besides those of us who were OCD about having a full set.

I can say that following the AvX line though I have stayed away from all of the additional printings of any series. Even the cool looking ones for ASM #700 I was able to pass up on…

One positively thing about this book is Charlie Adlard's sketch because he attended NYCC recently and shockingly the sketch was $300. Charlie did not sketch except of the people that won winning tickets. Each day you would draw a ticket and then they would call a number and if they called your number, you won the chance to pay $300 for a sketch.

We drew 10 tickets a day and no one won. I think he may blow them away. You were lucky enough to have his sketch. Tony Moore is willing to do the sketch for $50 or less. I had no problem with Tony but I was disappointed that I got only Charlie's signature on WD #109 blank variant. Not impressed enough throughout.

We know that WD #35 is more valuable due to the error and rarity than any regular issue except key issues and black/white variant issues.

Interesting enough, there are few issues were errors that may consider rarity. Here is the link below:

http://walkingdeadcomics.org/the-walking-dead-error-variants/#/

I myself don't appreciate the later print runs. I am still old schooled and see them as step children that couldn't make the first cut. So I am a first print run snob.

SW3D

um...not only was I a child, I am also a stepchild and...more so...adopted...oh great I'm a third print...

Now onto the point at hand. Both Bagofleas and I are searching for a 9.8 copy of a second print. Would we care as much if it wasn't for CGC? Probably not. Are we going to pay more for one, again probably not, but only because the series isn't a hit as let's say the book you show in this journal. The Walking Dead is not only a successful comic book, but it is also such a popular show that it weened its way into pop culture status. People who don't collect comic books will pick up a copy of two.

There are newer print runs making the circuit like Wizard's free copies, but with such a gratuitous run don't seem to be the ones taking off in price, but those second prints are flying. Makes me wonder if New Mutants #98 had the second print treatment, would they be just as valuable as the first, or maybe even Incredible Hulk 181.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've always been like SW3D on printings. I do however, have New Avengers #1 second print signed by Finch and graded at 9.6. Main reason being is I didn't realize it was a 2nd print until after having it signed at Baltimore CC last year. In the comic collector program I use to track my collection it is listed as a first print and I never bothered to check. I just assumed it was a 1st print variant. In the end I like the cover more than the standard.

Tnerb....yep, Gotta say I have four copies of that very title which I will be sending all through the pressing prior to grading, and then signing, and then grading again route of that very issue. Sad what some of us will do for a perfect copy huh?

Anyways I think to answer your question, the NM #98 would probably fall along the lines of a #87 1st print but only if it would have been done in the same manner the #87 2nd printing had gone. I think the distance of time inbetween a book and its additional printing comes into play....maybe.

As for IH #181 your probably looking to be a little closer to the same price simply because their would be fewer of them and the scarcity of the 2nd print for a book of that age would have been much harder to find.

Again, my own opinion and open to everyone elses.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on printings are really hit and miss. I mean you’ve given some great examples of additional printings that are of course worth more than their original printing and really the biggest reasoning behind it is that there are fewer numbers released.

To me its simple hit and miss. With the New Mutants when I was younger I was certain the 2nd printing of #87 was a shoe in for the money compared to its first printing counterpart. I mean their were fewer released and it’s a gold cover… gold… Really who wants orange over gold? Apparently everyone except for the completionist’s like myself, Tnerb, Bagofleas, and a few others. Simply going off ebay sales your looking at the average #87 1st printing going from anywhere around $165 - $225. Then again your 2nd printing is still stuck around $90 and isn’t going anywhere. Using the same series though and the first printing of New Mutants #100 is going for anywhere around $65 - $120. But the 3rd printing though is hard pressed to find as low as $100.

Another series Avengers vs X-Men, one of my favorites has over 20 additional printings throughout the series yet none of them go for anything over the first printings.

All just hit and miss I guess. As for the completionist I think that’s just about the only reason Marvel or DC for that matter does it. I don’t see your average shopper when I was heading out on Wednesday’s ever going by the additional printing section besides those of us who were OCD about having a full set.

I can say that following the AvX line though I have stayed away from all of the additional printings of any series. Even the cool looking ones for ASM #700 I was able to pass up on…

The last 2nd print on GPA went for $204

Second prints are tough to find because at one time most people viewed anything less than "first print" as an undesirable collectible. They also usually had lower print runs than first print copies. Lower available quantities = higher value if coupled with demand.

I'm looking for Spawn 186 in a second printing. Wish me luck. I've never seen a 9.8 for sale. Anyone out there willing to help me? :wishluck: