• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Question

7 posts in this topic

Silver Age FF 51 , Its probably a 9.4 except its got a 1/4" tear in the middle of the cover how much does this affect the grade , sorry I don't have a pic scan yet its still in the hands of the Owner .

but it's not . . . :grin:

Well, a very small (>5mm) tear might still get a 9.2, believe it or not. If it is larger (1/4" would be ~7mm) I'd say if it was unobtrusive it might get a 9.0 - if it's in a bad spot all things considered, it might score 7.0-8.0 IMHO.

-slym

Thanks Slym ... Yeah its in a bad spot ... at least I think so , Right on the Black of "this Man this Monster" below the word monster ...

it is really a solid 9.2 - 9.4 all day without that tear , looks like it got caught on tape at some point ...

and the guy wants NM- $$ for it so I guess I'll pass if it could hit it that hard ...

gary-

Oddly enough I have been using the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guides among other things to help me with my grading practices before I assume my role with CGC. :blush: On page 116 of the third edition of the OCBGG there is an example of a book with a small cover tear (say 1/4") at the bottom of the cover on the right hand side. Yes it is a GA book Tales From the Crypt #23 but the book is still listed in the 9.6 NM+ category. So there is an outside chance that your book might attain or retain the higher grade! :wishluck: