• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAC COAST XMEN 1 CGC 9.6 WHITE SOLD!!!!!!

90 posts in this topic

Hi All: What an interesting thread. Doug has an awesome X-men 1 9.6 but it is #3 in the standings. I had the oppurtunity to compare the Curator 9.8 and the PC 9.6 Wht that recently sold on Comiclink side by side. Not much difference but the Curator had just a smidgen better cover reflectivity. Brulato smiled and so did I.

Doug is a great guy but to put things in perspective he is Pedro Martinez and Tommy B is the NY Yankees. " Who's your Daddy "

Sorry Douggy

Best, Tom

Doug is a great guy but to put things in perspective he is Pedro Martinez and Tommy B is the NY Yankees. " Who's your Daddy "

Sorry Douggy

Best, Tom

I didn't know it was a competition. You mean it's sort of like: "The collector who has the most 9.8s wins". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi All: What an interesting thread. Doug has an awesome X-men 1 9.6 but it is #3 in the standings. I had the oppurtunity to compare the Curator 9.8 and the PC 9.6 Wht that recently sold on Comiclink side by side. Not much difference but the Curator had just a smidgen better cover reflectivity. Brulato smiled and so did I.

Sorry Douggy

Best, Tom

From comments that Doug has made, he clearly realizes the collection that Brulato has (regardless of Doug having the FF#1 CGC 9.6) is the best.

That said, Doug's a Yankees fan, so you need to come up with a different analogy. tongue.gif

The really impressive thing is that you've got #1 and #2 (for SA Marvel), and then it's a pretty big gap before you get to everybody else, even though there are some really nice collections amongst the "everybody else's".

I'd say a 9.8 would sell for at least 400k. Just my 2 cents.

But who would buy it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe the current owner is probably the top Silver-Age Marvel collector and the one selling the CGC 9.6 is the second biggest collector.

yeahok.gif

Hollywood has a number of high end Silver Age collecters. Nicholas Cage is supposed to be a major buyer.

I'd say a 9.8 would sell for at least 400k. Just my 2 cents.

But who would buy it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe the current owner is probably the top Silver-Age Marvel collector and the one selling the CGC 9.6 is the second biggest collector.

yeahok.gif

Hollywood has a number of high end Silver Age collecters. Nicholas Cage is supposed to be a major buyer.

Except Nick Cage sold off almost his entire collection eh?

Guess I have to be satisfied with having the 19348th best Silver Age collection.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicholas Cage is supposed to be a major buyer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He sold all of his books a couple of years ago.

lol Right after I took a time out from comics. It's such a steep relearning curve.

While it's true that Hollywood types could afford to buy the CREAM of the CROP books, THEY HAVEN'T YET (at least CGC books). So there is no guarantee that they will, now that prices have increased so dramatically for those books in the past few years. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Especially with Silver-Age Marvels, it really only takes MONEY to have one of the top five collections. blush.gif

I guess if you're paying somebody else to do the searching, then yea, money buys you the best collection, just like anything else on the planet. However, most collectors, including I think every one brought up in this thread, have to spend many months and years searching for the best books to add to their collection. And when it comes to the ABSOLUTE best books, you often have to be the best at networking to even have a shot at buying them.

So to say "it really only takes MONEY to have one of the top five collections," that's not always accurate. It also takes lots of searching and at least a few connections to the right sources. But money is definitely a requirement, yes.

Especially with Silver-Age Marvels, it really only takes MONEY to have one of the top five collections.

I guess if you're paying somebody else to do the searching, then yea, money buys you the best collection, just like anything else on the planet. However, most collectors, including I think every one brought up in this thread, have to spend many months and years searching for the best books to add to their collection. And when it comes to the ABSOLUTE best books, you often have to be the best at networking to even have a shot at buying them.

So to say "it really only takes MONEY to have one of the top five collections," that's not always accurate. It also takes lots of searching and at least a few connections to the right sources. But money is definitely a requirement, yes.

Actually, I attribute my original statement (that I agree with) to Doug (who probably has the second best collection). Right now, for the right amount of money, you can pretty much buy many of the top books from his website (PedigreeComics.com).

Pre-CGC, no one really knew who had the best books, so a lot of hard work and wheeling and dealing went into getting extremely high-grade copies. Now, that these books are CGC'd (especially many of them from the premiere pedigree collections), MONEY can get you pretty darn far.

This is not to take away the accomplishments of these big time collectors, because I do realize that much of their collection was accumulated prior to CGC. smile.gif

I hoping you don't think that I measure people by their comic collection. confused.gif

Especially with Silver-Age Marvels, it really only takes MONEY to have one of the top five collections. blush.gif

i think that the line on these guys though is that they did not spend the kinda money you are talking on their collections. Sure they dropped some major coin, but they did it a long time ago and they spent a lot of time putting these collections together..