• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Rock's first appearance is ...

9 posts in this topic

According to the newly released DC Encyclopedia, the first appearance of Sgt. Rock is ... (drumroll please) Our Army At War 81 and not OAAW 83!

I know we all had this argument on here a few months back and many people believed that the first true appearance of Sgt. Rock was when Bob Kanigher and Joe Kubert took over the title, but his first appearance is really OAAW 81.

Here's what the DC Encyclopedia says: "Key Storylines: Our Army At War 81 (April 1959): Sgt. Rock (here called 'Rocky' makes his debut. The series would be renamed for him in issue 302."

So, that should clear up any questions anyone had about Sgt. Rock's first appearance.

It was Chris Pedrin (author of The Big Five book about DCs' war books) who declared that the true first appearance of Rock was in issue 83 - he was quite intense about it. I guess it depends whether Rocky (from 81) is recognizably the same Sgt Rock as fandom knows him.

However if DC says it's 81, who are we to argue?

What about GI Combat 68? Is that considered a prototype? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a prototype, as the character in that issue was nicknamed "The Rock" and wasn't actually called "Sgt. Rock".

The amount of times Robert Kanigher came over to England for UKCAC (annual convention) and I never found out his take on the subject.

It was Chris Pedrin (author of The Big Five book about DCs' war books) who declared that the true first appearance of Rock was in issue 83 - he was quite intense about it. I guess it depends whether Rocky (from 81) is recognizably the same Sgt Rock as fandom knows him.

However if DC says it's 81, who are we to argue?

Back in the 70s, DC said it was GI Combat 68. That's who we are to argue. The only people who can really say are Kanigher, and then Kubert. Anyone who wonders should read the article in Pedrin's book.

According to the newly released DC Encyclopedia, the first appearance of Sgt. Rock is ... (drumroll please) Our Army At War 81 and not OAAW 83!

I know we all had this argument on here a few months back and many people believed that the first true appearance of Sgt. Rock was when Bob Kanigher and Joe Kubert took over the title, but his first appearance is really OAAW 81.

Here's what the DC Encyclopedia says: "Key Storylines: Our Army At War 81 (April 1959): Sgt. Rock (here called 'Rocky' makes his debut. The series would be renamed for him in issue 302."

So, that should clear up any questions anyone had about Sgt. Rock's first appearance.

Just because the DC Encyclopedia says it is so doesn't necessarily make it so. Do you believe everything the government tells you too? poke2.gif

However, I happen to agree that OOAW 81 IS the first appearance. Anyone got a 9.4 copy for me? tongue.gif