• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variants, variants, and more VaRiANTs.....

5 posts in this topic

Too many variants?

Coming back to collecting comics after a years long hiatus....it is a pleasure to start up again with this wonderful and addicting game of collecting and striving to complete sets with CGC 9.8s and above.

But MAN,,,, it gets exhausting trying to obtain and staying on track with collecting all these variants in the marketplace. The current trend is taking a swing back to the 90s when the variants were king. But that burned out after a couple of years. Are we seeing the same pattern here? How long is this variant trend going to last?

OR is the Variant here to stay?......thoughts?

Below is one of my favorite Variants by Bart Sears as the cover artist. Extremely hard to find in high grade. Yes...I am a victim to the Variant Monster....are you too?

14606.jpg

See more journals by roninduelist

I agree with the over printing of WD 115. 10 plus covers is a little overboard. I believe this type of saturation...if it continues...will lower the value of the series in the long run.

None the less, for completists like me, it's gonna be hard to avoid obtaining all of them.....

Yep... I'm a sucker for variants.

I wasn't in the past, but this year I got swept up in it. And I know its just a marketing gimmick for the publishers to sell comic books. And now I'm buying those variants from ten and twenty years ago to complete a collection. And I think to myself, "What are you sick or something? You already own one version which is basically the same except for the cover, so why spend ludicrous amounts of money?" And my answer... "Because! It's there to collect! I must have it!"

Nice Bart Sears cover! He's one of my favorite artists. I really dug his artwork for DC in the 90's.

SW3D

Thanks SWD....I was lucky to find a pristine X-O Manowar 11 Variant. Gotta love Bart Sears art. He's a master at his craft. He's making a come back with all the covers he's been doing. As for variants....in general, I think the best strategy for with variants is to put priority on the low print variants such as the 1:20 or 1:50, and then get the rest. Oh well, I enjoy the hunt....that's half of the fun right?