• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Thor gotten a movie bump?

18 posts in this topic

CW Developing 1880s Paris Drama With Dan Jinks, ‘Hourman’ Adaptation With Dan Lin

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Tuesday November 5, 2013 @ 1:28pm PST

Tags: Dan Jinks, DC Comics, Hourman, Michael Caleo, the CW, The Painted Girls

The CW and CBS TV Studios, which are exploring the French court circa 17th century with freshman drama Reign, are staying in the country with another period drama project, The Painted Girls. Based on the book by Cathy Marie Buchanan, The Painted Girls is set in 1880s Paris against the backdrop of the turbulent and exciting world of “La Belle Epoque” – decadence, poverty, sex, drugs and a serial killer running rampant throughout the city. It revolves around three sisters studying at a top ballet academy, one of whom becomes the muse for Edgar Degas and his famed paintings of ballerinas. Tony-nominated playwright Geoffrey Nauffts (Next Call) will write the adaptation and co-executive produce. Dan Jinks (Pushing Daisies), who exec produced the CW’s medical drama Emily Owens, MD, is executive producing the project, which was brought to his company by SVP Nick Nantell. Nauffts’ TV credits include Brothers & Sisters and Political Animals. He is with CAA and Stephen Clark. Jinks, who is producing Big Fish on Broadway, is with WME and Alan Hergott.

On the male side of the CW’s development, the network has Hourman, a drama based on the DC Comics characters. Written by Ironside co-creator Michael Caleo, the project centers on a brilliant yet troubled pharmaceutical analyst who discovers that the visions that have plagued him since childhood are actually glimpses of tragic events occurring one hour in the future. Determined to win back his ex-wife and son, he heroically prevents these tragedies from unfolding, finding both purpose and redemption along the way. Caleo is exec producing with Dan Lin and Jennifer Gwartz for Warner Bros TV and Lin Pictures.

Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and Iron Man seem to get many threads on here but Thor and Journey Into Mystery rarely do. Is there a similar bump happening with Thor, Loki etc. key issues or has the movie success not translated to the comic values as much for whatever reason?

Looks like JIM 85 still has lots of growing room but JIM 83 is pretty high.

Word is that Loki carries the Thor sequel and is the audiences favorite character, more beloved than Thor!

JIM 85 is a silver age gem that should really heat up this holiday season.

First Odin, Loki, Heimdall, and Asgard, mid/low grade slabs under $500 have vanished on the bay.

I was talking with a big silver age dealer at a mini con last week, and he mentioned how JIM is a tough find considering many kids in the 60's removed the 'Journey' part of the cover so it read "Thor" from the inner first page. dunno, if its true, but I really hope more dealers have JIM 85 this upcoming con season. Last years offerings were slim. plenty of 83 and 84..

I see just the opposite...JIM 85 has all but trickled in sales lately....I have had multiple copies in stock just sit and gather dust at cons.... with no pricing adjustment what so ever... JIM 85 got a huge bump when first movie came out years ago, but like 83, has been pretty stagnant of late

Movie bump or not,JIM 83 is still one of the hardest to find of the early Marvel mega keys.It certainly is a must have if you collect those early mega keys.
might be hard to find "affordable" or good deal, but there is, of course, nothing hard (no challenge) in locating a copy, or 2, or 2 dozen...always tons of copies in the marketplace, just there because of price resistance (thumbs u

sir, you should probably put some of those on the auction sites. If not I'll gladly take one off your hands.

where were you at Wizard world philly, NYCC, SDCC etc...???

there were a handful of people looking for JIM 85 cgc 5 or less in the $500-600 range.

The book didn't exist... at the cons... dealers kept pushing us towards other dealers that didnt have it.

sure a few had cgc 7 copies and better but they wanted 1k or so a book.

After Tom (Loki) gave that speech at SDCC, there were about a dozen of us stoked to pick up a slabbed copy (having put it off for years) we get into the hall, and there were hardly any JIM85 cgc 3.0-6.0. In fact I didn't see an affordable slabbed copy until late October.

I'll gladly take a JIM85 off your hands. If its slabbed... Im done buying raw silver keys from dealers, (I submit them, they come back purple)

JIM 83 has the least supply (or among the least supply) of the early Marvel mega keys -- check out the CGC census. Gator is right that it's not hard to find (what Marvel SA is hard to find?), but the price point for low- to mid-grade copies is not as low as, say, X-Men 1 or TOS 39 or even FF1 which there are always plenty of copies of for sale. (A staggering six copies of FF1, for instance, available on the upcoming Heritage signature auction.) If you look at the GPA sales data for JIM83 over the last year, you see steady price increases across the board for low- to mid-grade copies.

JIM 85 has a lot of growth room. Loki has become the flagship Marvel movie villain, now appearing in 3 films. I can't think of another Marvel villain to pull the hat trick. And he will be doing plenty more no doubt.