• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 9

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 9  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 9

37 posts in this topic

Pretty sure AAMOW 84 is Irv Novick. :wink:

on the cover? I know he did interiors.

On the cover, guaranteed. (thumbs u

here's more confusion. Grand Comic Book Database has noted that Russ Heath indicated that he inked the GIC80 cover.

Okay, nobody's catching on. Slim mentioned AAMOW 84, not 94. I ran with it and started talking about Novick.

I'll check the Big Five information Guide and see if it clears things up.

that was my mistake cause I typed AAMoW84 instead of 94 initially.

Never have I meant this more towards myself

:facepalm:

AAMOW is just so bland to me. You could put it in the middle of a page of books and nothing about it says, Wow! Look at me! The art is good, exceptional even, but I just don't see anything about it that says this is Russ Heath's greatest work.

GI #80 or 81

War #23 (along with about a dozen other Atlas War books) are better.

Even Showcase 29 is striking.

AAMOW is just so bland to me. You could put it in the middle of a page of books and nothing about it says, Wow! Look at me! The art is good, exceptional even, but I just don't see anything about it that says this is Russ Heath's greatest work.

GI #80 or 81

War #23 (along with about a dozen other Atlas War books) are better.

Even Showcase 29 is striking.

...... I've been over-exposed to most of the DC War. The Atlas stuff is fresh to me (...for now). I also like the focus of man over machine on the Atlas covers..... more in the vein of GI Combat 83 ..... the fear, frustration, and angst of the guy in the foxhole. That being said..... I don't think I could EVER tire of SC 29 ......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Pretty sure AAMOW 84 is Irv Novick. :wink:

on the cover? I know he did interiors.

On the cover, guaranteed. (thumbs u

here's more confusion. Grand Comic Book Database has noted that Russ Heath indicated that he inked the GIC80 cover.

Okay, nobody's catching on. Slim mentioned AAMOW 84, not 94. I ran with it and started talking about Novick.

I'll check the Big Five information Guide and see if it clears things up.

Dangit... my bad. I meant the #94 shown above.

:blush::eek::sorry:

-slym

My favourite is Marvel Tales 130, and I've been voting against the war books which share the same, overused camera angle. Really do prefer it.

THIS.

The MT 130 is a very different rather unique illustration. The angle, the power of the giant hand the small people made ot feel even smaller, and the feeling of hopelessness.

Awesome cover.

I said lame because it is clearly going to lose this round. :sumo:

+1. I keep thinking that people are misunderstanding this poll and voting for their favorite instead of least favorite. It seems like the only way so many cool books have been voted off. But I guess people really love that All American Men of War... to each their own.

I have to say that MT 130 -- while a nice cover -- has no place at this point. I can see the argument for GIC 80 or AAMOW 94, but neither of them would be at my top. I love GIC 80, but I love it for the washtone and colors, not necessarily for the art. AAMOW falls behind about 30 Atlas war covers for me. MT 130 is a hand. That's it. The reason it stands out is the colors. If you want a Heath horror cover that has it all, Spellbound 20 takes the cake.

I have to say that MT 130 -- while a nice cover -- has no place at this point. I can see the argument for GIC 80 or AAMOW 94, but neither of them would be at my top. I love GIC 80, but I love it for the washtone and colors, not necessarily for the art. AAMOW falls behind about 30 Atlas war covers for me. MT 130 is a hand. That's it. The reason it stands out is the colors. If you want a Heath horror cover that has it all, Spellbound 20 takes the cake.

That's a good point. I've been judging these based on the complete presentation- color palette being a big factor, but also content. In other words, if I saw these on the stands, which would the one I would most likely pick up first because I was interested in it. Always been more of a horror fan than a war comic guy.

Also, agree with you about the Spellbound 20. It was my favorite of the bunch.

Sums it up for me though I could add to the list of Atlas horror like Spellbound 3.

Sums it up for me though I could add to the list of Atlas horror like Spellbound 3.

Spellbound 3 is awesome. Especially a very nice presenting copy. If you could see all the books in high grade, I bet the voting would be a lot different.

Spellbound 3 is awesome. Especially a very nice presenting copy. If you could see all the books in high grade, I bet the voting would be a lot different.

That's a good point. I know I have frequently changed my view of a cover after seeing a high grade copy in person. Small online scans don't catch the eye in the same way that an actual book does.

That's a good point. I know I have frequently changed my view of a cover after seeing a high grade copy in person. Small online scans don't catch the eye in the same way that an actual book does.

(thumbs u