• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a score - the $20 per book golden age collection

74 posts in this topic

Wow...what a score! You snagged those away from a dealer? That is golden. Nice score, Shawn. Jeez, that 24 look perfect.

Well they said they considered contacting the large dealers, and mentioned one in NY that runs heavy promotions. I was able to easily talk them out of it though since it'd be such a hassle to ship, and hinted they might not even get what I was offering.

I don't think $1000 for this run was "stealing" it or anything. Do you? Now had I paid $1 a piece I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Amazing find. Congrats!

(and I suspect based on what I am seeing that many "dealers" large and small would have happily paid $1000+) :gossip:

Oh, and they're not for sale either; please don't PM me about offers. I will update this thread if I decide to unload them. Right now I'm enjoying the deal...thx!

I love the WW II covered ones the best!

Those are great books. Lots of nice Montana covers in the lot, I think.

I only have a few of those Top-Notch issues. They are easier to get than Pep but not as cool as Blue Ribbon.

4752465278_86066b47d6_z.jpg

Nice score, but did you really have to squeeze her down from $20 from $25 apiece.

:applause:

That was pretty much my thought.

You have a lady who has "lost" her husband (for whatever reason), doesn't know anything about the books, is already asking 10% (or less) of FMV for them - so why not lie to her about what would happen if she shipped them to a reputable dealer and then squeeze another 20% off her asking price because she is clueless.

Nice score, but did you really have to squeeze her down from $20 from $25 apiece.

:applause:

That was pretty much my thought.

You have a lady who has "lost" her husband (for whatever reason), doesn't know anything about the books, is already asking 10% (or less) of FMV for them - so why not lie to her about what would happen if she shipped them to a reputable dealer and then squeeze another 20% off her asking price because she is clueless.

Lie about a shipping hassle? It would be a hassle. Large dealers don't try to get books for next to nothing? You must never have dealt with dealers...

Look, I would have bought the books for the $25 each too. The dealer thing may not have been an outright lie (they have to buy cheap to stay in business) but perhaps a little disingenuous in light of the fact that you were paying even less :baiting:

I would have bought them as well but, respectfully, the negotiation over the last five bucks a book was a bit much ;)

Look, I would have bought the books for the $25 each too. The dealer thing may not have been an outright lie (they have to buy cheap to stay in business) but perhaps a little disingenuous in light of the fact that you were paying even less :baiting:

I would have bought them as well but, respectfully, the negotiation over the last five bucks a book was a bit much ;)

Cash talks. It's not like I threatened to walk over the $5 per books - an offer was made, I countered, they accepted. Didn't realize you were there beside me for the transaction.

Seems a little much to come on and crow about it, given the circumstances. The classic example being, would you be happy with your collection getting dispersed in the same way and bought off your wife in just the same way if you kicked the bucket?

This subject's been beaten to death countless times and in various collectible venues.

Yeah, the guy should've informed his wife better as to values, or, tried and sold them off when he was alive (if he could've.) Or maybe left an inkling of what he'd paid for them (they aren't high grade or anything, but I doubt Archie #3 was $25.) And no, they weren't a run of Action, or Tec, or Marvel Mystery or whatever.

Um. I don't think mailing 56 books to a dealer for an offer would've been that great a hassle. Had it been 560 books? Yeah, I could see the hassle in that.

And it does seem rather chintzy to have dickered her down below an already too-reasonable asking price. Whatevs, everyone's gonna do whatever they're gonna do.

Cash talks. It's not like I threatened to walk over the $5 per books - an offer was made, I countered, they accepted. Didn't realize you were there beside me for the transaction.

I'll remember that next time I see some old fudder at a garage sale offering his Action #3 and wondering aloud to me if he should maybe consider sending off to one of those big ol' comic dealer advertisements. I'll remind him of the hassle involved, and flash the cool $200 I've got right then and there. Sounds peachy!

Nah, I'm not gonna get myself into a tizzy over this one. Not after hearing an infamous story about a certain someone buying a 1901-S quarter ($10K plus) for silver value (a few bucks) off an old guy while working for a dealer... and then taking no particular pains to ever contact the guy again.... nothing will surprise me.

I certainly don't see the issue, I'm certainly envious. Offer / Counter-Offer accepted seems pretty clear cut.

IMO It's not our job ethically or otherwise to teach someone about the value they have.

And while a dealer has to get a nice margin, so do collectors, there really is no difference.

I'm sure Shield has done a couple deals that didn't work out as well and this helps offset those.

Ed

Yeah, the guy should've informed his wife better as to values, or, tried and sold them off when he was alive (if he could've.) Or maybe left an inkling of what he'd paid for them (they aren't high grade or anything, but I doubt Archie #3 was $25.)

This is the frustrating thing for guys like me... and a lesson to all of you collectors out there. Let your spouses know what a "reasonable" quick-sell offer would be,so they're not floundering in the dark if something should happen to you. If this collection was local to the poster, my shop is only an hour away from the collection, and judging as best as is possible from the pictures, and assuming fairly heavy restoration on the Archie #3, I'm guessing we would have offered something around $4,000 just from the issues I've seen... which is about 10x what she got for them (blaming the spouse and the seller for not checking around, not the OP).

There are others here that would have made similar offers I'm sure. This certainly worked out great for the OP, no question. But this myth about large, established dealers (not hole-in-the-wall upstarts) "low-balling" on everything gets real old real fast.

You guys sure do make assumptions, like the husband is dead and the seller was destitute. Neither of those are the case. You know what they say about those that assume.

Geesh guys. Sorry I ever started this thread. This is a mid-low grade run and quite a few I looked at have restoration, including the Archie 3.

What if I told you the seller could buy me about 8 times over net worth wise? Why does "gone" always equal deceased?

I certainly don't see the issue, I'm certainly envious. Offer / Counter-Offer accepted seems pretty clear cut.

IMO It's not our job ethically or otherwise to teach someone about the value they have.

And while a dealer has to get a nice margin, so do collectors, there really is no difference.

I'm sure Shield has done a couple deals that didn't work out as well and this helps offset those.

Ed

This is exactly the point - the person selling them wanted rid of them for the least hassle possible. I was fortunate to be the lucky one. I wasn't there to educate the seller on how to maximize THEIR profit just like when I go buy a used car I'm not there to maximize the dealer's sales. The seller was a great person and is happy they ended up in a collector's hands. Everyone wins. My only regret is ever mentioning the deal or a price on here.

I shudder to think what the big dealer would have offered...maybe $15.00 a book. Come on...we all dream of scores like this and with popular reality shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers, who wouldn't dicker. Besides, some of those books look like turds, so I bet it evens out.

Exactly why I would never mention details of any "deal" I got on anything, either. Doesn't matter how fair I think I was or not. It might appear "off" to some. Better to leave it between buyer and seller. The recipient of that 1901-S quarter windfall was definitely sorry he ever brought it up.

FWIW, my transactions have always been for boring retail with maybe a little bit off for a group, so they couldn't be more boring. Nothing juicy.

I agree that since the seller dictated the price I don't see much fault in Shield taking it, and even dickering some more. About a million light years more ethical than that 1901-S story. But I do think it's a bit much to say that some (certainly not all) comic dealers wouldn't have offered just as much, or more, per Bookery's post.

I shudder to think what the big dealer would have offered...maybe $15.00 a book. Come on...we all dream of scores like this and with popular reality shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers, who wouldn't dicker. Besides, some of those books look like turds, so I bet it evens out.

None are turds, but this isn't an original owner collection or anything - these were pieced together secondhand. It's possible ALL of them are restored. Who cares? These are really fun books and has reinvigorated my collecting once again. Found a Pep 59 and another Top-Notch 30 at my secret stash location that I purchased a while back today.

Not exactly. I dream of a score somewhat akin to the guy that discovered the VF Action #1 tucked inside a movie mag from the 30's, bought in a lot at an auction. Unnoticed by all and no one the wiser, or hurt (except perhaps for the kid/adult that tucked the book away in there who knows when in the late 38/39 or so.)

Yeah, the guy should've informed his wife better as to values, or, tried and sold them off when he was alive (if he could've.) Or maybe left an inkling of what he'd paid for them (they aren't high grade or anything, but I doubt Archie #3 was $25.)

This is the frustrating thing for guys like me... and a lesson to all of you collectors out there. Let your spouses know what a "reasonable" quick-sell offer would be,so they're not floundering in the dark if something should happen to you. If this collection was local to the poster, my shop is only an hour away from the collection, and judging as best as is possible from the pictures, and assuming fairly heavy restoration on the Archie #3, I'm guessing we would have offered something around $4,000 just from the issues I've seen... which is about 10x what she got for them (blaming the spouse and the seller for not checking around, not the OP).

There are others here that would have made similar offers I'm sure. This certainly worked out great for the OP, no question. But this myth about large, established dealers (not hole-in-the-wall upstarts) "low-balling" on everything gets real old real fast.

Oh come now, Bookery -- I'm sure you would've offered $10 per issue, tops! Maybe $7 on those books with too many wrinkles. You can't fool folks like us! ;) ;) ;)