• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales 135 - key issue?

49 posts in this topic

This issue is the first appearance of S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury as a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent (of course, not his actual first appearance), Hydra, and the Helicarrier. A lot of firsts there. Do you consider this to be a Silver age key? Major, minor, don't care, undervalued?

S.H.I.E.L.D. has a TV show and appears in the Avengers movies, and wasn't Hydra in the first Captain America movie?

This issue is the first appearance of S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury as a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent (of course, not his actual first appearance), Hydra, and the Helicarrier. A lot of firsts there. Do you consider this to be a Silver age key? Major, minor, don't care, undervalued?

S.H.I.E.L.D. has a TV show and appears in the Avengers movies, and wasn't Hydra in the first Captain America movie?

Great key book,not a mega key.Not a minor one either.

It kind of confuses me as to its place in the comic book key world.

Nick Fury has been around for a long time.

"Shield" matters little to me. No more important than Hydra.

Sgt. Fury #1 is a huge key, IMO. Strange Tales is a minor key, and maybe less than a minor key. So small, that I sold mine and haven't looked back on doing that (which is unusual for me). But selling one of my Sgt. Fury #1's is not going to happen. Period.

I don't know, Stan Lee thought it was important enough to include in Son of Origins. My vote, it's an important key. It created an organization that crossed over in every title during the 70s on a regular basis.

Also, for me, Sgt. Fury was pretty boring but Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.- super cool. 2c

Not a mega key, but I would say it is a key book. Sgt Fury continued the war stories that Marvel published once they dropped the "superhero". However Nick Fury Agent of Shield (at least to me) reintroduced a Nick Fury for the then modern Marvel Universe in the same way that Avengers 4 reintroduced Captain America for a modern era.

Not a mega key, but I would say it is a key book. Sgt Fury continued the war stories that Marvel published once they dropped the "superhero". However Nick Fury Agent of Shield (at least to me) reintroduced a Nick Fury for the then modern Marvel Universe in the same way that Avengers 4 reintroduced Captain America for a modern era.

Never thought of it that way...bravo. :applause:

I don't know, Stan Lee thought it was important enough to include in Son of Origins. My vote, it's an important key. It created an organization that crossed over in every title during the 70s on a regular basis.

Also, for me, Sgt. Fury was pretty boring but Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.- super cool. 2c

That's my feeling also. It's cool enough that I own two or possibly three.

DG

Thanks everyone! I've been going back and forth about whether to pick one up. I think we're all in agreement about it not being a mega key (I didn't think so either). But from there it sounds like it goes from a minor to just a good old standard key, with a couple posters who aren't really interested in it. I think I may get one if the price and condition is right...

Was there ever an attempt to explain how Nick Fury from the WWI era, was now in the 21st century?

At least they told us that Cap had been frozen.

If you're still talking about Strange Tales #135, then there was really nothing to explain. 1965 was only 20 years after the end of WWII, and Fury was portrayed as a man in his forties. Just like Reed and Ben. (I do remember a retcon where Fury was supposedly subjected to a version of the super-soldier serum, think this happened in later SHIELD series post silver-age).

If you're talking about the movies / ultimate universe Fury, then it doesn't appear the Samuel Jackson version of Fury was a WWII vet. I'm not familiar with the 'Ultimate' version of Marvel, so maybe someone can chime in that knows about that. I do know that the Howling Commandos in the Captain America film were sans Sgt. Fury.

Naw. I'm talking about the original Nick Fury (a sergeant in WW II), being what he is today.

So, from the 40's until 2013. He is still better than just about any non-super powered character in comics, or movies for that matter.

He should be 90+ years old right now.

So, has that been explained in any story?

The only thing I can recall, was Fury being killed in Nick Fury Agent of Shield. issue #15. Killed by "Bulls Eye" (not THAT Bullseye).

So, maybe the current Nick Fury is a clone? Or from Earth II? Or a totally different Nick Fury?

After all. He did somehow turn from white to black.

See the link below for the first Nick Fury.

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-hasselhoff-pretty-sure-his-nick-fury-was-better-than-samuel-l-jacksons/