• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep 22 CGC VG+ can be yours...for only 200k!

76 posts in this topic

Sigh.

Once again, the BIN price is SUPPOSED to be way high! The whole purpose is to bring in offers without getting lowballed. If a seller sets the BIN near the actual price he wants, then people will make offers waaaay below what he actually wants. Hence the high price! And obviously it's an attention getter! You're right about that!

And Gator, how do you explain the 5.0 getting 50K in 2010? There was no sale prior to that. What made Bob raise the price from 38K to 50K, and then for someone to pay that NM- price on the 5.0 a few months later?! Better yet, what made him raise it from 50K to 70K the next year with no sales to back that one up? That was a 40% increase!

Also, wouldn't you say that my copy isn't that far off from the 5.0? And wouldn't you agree that my copy is currently the highest graded copy on the market for sometime now? I don't see the 5.0 or the 6.5 going back on the market for a long time, not if the owners are smart, or certainly not if they're big time collectors/Archie fanatics who would go to the grave with their book. I think my book will be as good as it gets for some time if someone really wants this title.

And in regards to the "slightly brittle pages". I was shocked at this description as I went through the book several times before going to the CGC. The pages fanned just fine without any crumbling or flaking that you would imagine when hearing the term "brittle", they simply looked tan to brown. There is definitely a MAJOR difference between actually having "brittle pages" and "slightly brittle pages". There is definitely a LOT of emphasis on the word "slightly" if a 4.5 can have this description. Actual "brittle pages" are only seen at 1.0 or poor, so yeah.

*Edit @the two hyenas above: See Signature. Also, how's your copy look?

I'm actually with you on the page designation. All it takes is a slightly brittle corner and you get that designation. The problem is that short of cracking the case there is no way to know the extent. But it might be worth a resub, see if the pq comes back improved - if you are sure there is no actual brittleness.

I do think the poor pq is a key factor though when it comes to ascribing value.

BTW, just kidding along here, but if I'm a hyena, does that make you the lion king?

Also, how's your copy look?

This sort of talk won't get you much good will around here.

There's plenty of people here who can afford your copy many times over even at full price, and lots of these guys have been collecting for years so they've seen it 'all'.

You have to take an internet ribbing with a bit of tongue in cheek and a slightly thicker skin.

Everyone appreciates your book. Some just disagree with the pricing method, as they have seen hucksters come and go trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes time and time again.

I've been guilty myself of pricing books that I think are special at high prices but everyone puts "high" at a different spot. Some people might just think that pricing a book at double or 3 times (or even possibly 4 times) it's worth is hucksterism.

You're free to field offers but some experienced buyers find prices that are unrealistic to be a turn off and by extension they imagine that the seller will be unrealistic to deal with.

Sigh.

Once again, the BIN price is SUPPOSED to be way high! The whole purpose is to bring in offers without getting lowballed. If a seller sets the BIN near the actual price he wants, then people will make offers waaaay below what he actually wants. Hence the high price! And obviously it's an attention getter! You're right about that!

I disagree (as it would seem, do the majority of the posters in this thread)...I believe the BIN should be the price you are willing to sell at...folks will lowball regardless...that said, setting a "high" unrealistic price also has its merits, if your intention is to draw attention (and sometimes criticism)

And Gator, how do you explain the 5.0 getting 50K in 2010? There was no sale prior to that. What made Bob raise the price from 38K to 50K, and then for someone to pay that NM- price on the 5.0 a few months later?! Better yet, what made him raise it from 50K to 70K the next year with no sales to back that one up? That was a 40% increase!

as roy mentioned, there was already a small movement a few years ago (a book a rare as pep 22 only needs a small movement for huge price increases ) from folks trying to obtain a copy...we had already seen other mega keys like action 1 and tec 27 selling for record highs... a few proactive folks wanted to get pep 22 before mainstream latched on....and there were sales just prior to that auction, a 3.5 copy had just privately (but the news was well circulated) sold for 30K and a raw gd- had gone for 15K, before the 5.0 was auctioned on Cconnect (I believe)... and folks like roy were offering close to 10K a point for a copy...so, it stood to reason that a 5.0 was going to need 40-50K to get it...had nothing to do with the "guide", so much as the dynamics of the quickly evolving pep 22 market... so again, bob raised the price as much on private sales info, as single cgc sales info (I know, because again, I submitted the info to bob) (thumbs u

Also, wouldn't you say that my copy isn't that far off from the 5.0? And wouldn't you agree that my copy is currently the highest graded copy on the market for sometime now? I don't see the 5.0 or the 6.5 going back on the market for a long time, not if the owners are smart, or certainly not if they're big time collectors/Archie fanatics who would go to the grave with their book. I think my book will be as good as it gets for some time if someone really wants this title.

yes, your copy is very comparable to the 5.0 (and in some respects the 3.5 and 2.0)...there has become an "entry" level price at almost any grade these days, to obtain, because there are so few copies in the market at any given time... I was told the 5.0 owner has turned down a 90K private offer (may or may not be indicative of FMV)...as mentioned, if the pq was better designated on your 4.5, I would say 75K is realistic...but, there is a 10-20% general price downgrade for the slightly brittle designation... the first person that bought the 6.5 for over 100K almost immediately auctioned it, thinking there was huge upside from the price just paid...the auction proved there was not...

And in regards to the "slightly brittle pages". I was shocked at this description as I went through the book several times before going to the CGC. The pages fanned just fine without any crumbling or flaking that you would imagine when hearing the term "brittle", they simply looked tan to brown. There is definitely a MAJOR difference between actually having "brittle pages" and "slightly brittle pages". There is definitely a LOT of emphasis on the word "slightly" if a 4.5 can have this description. Actual "brittle pages" are only seen at 1.0 or poor, so yeah.

no doubt slightly brittle is better than brittle...but it is still viewed as "bad"

I believe cgc will give a max grade of 6.5 on a book with slightly brittle pages, and 4.0 (or maybe it is 3.0) on a book with brittle pages (not 1.0, to clarify)...

Also, how's your copy look?

This sort of talk won't get you much good will around here.

There's plenty of people here who can afford your copy many times over even at full price, and lots of these guys have been collecting for years so they've seen it 'all'.

You have to take an internet ribbing with a bit of tongue in cheek and a slightly thicker skin.

Everyone appreciates your book. Some just disagree with the pricing method, as they have seen hucksters come and go trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes time and time again.

I've been guilty myself of pricing books that I think are special at high prices but everyone puts "high" at a different spot. Some people might just think that pricing a book at double or 3 times (or even possibly 4 times) it's worth is hucksterism.

You're free to field offers but some experienced buyers find prices that are unrealistic to be a turn off and by extension they imagine that the seller will be unrealistic to deal with.

I think that is very true. And the longer a book sits, the less likely to move in the main.

The whole "only x number of copies exist in the world" thing bugs me everytime I see it. Obviously they mean "x number of CGC graded copies" but it still bugs me.

Yes, it is probably true that mega keys get graded a higher percentage of the time. Still, the CGC market isn't the whole comics market.

It annoys me less on a Pep #22 than it does on some random 1990s issue where the seller claims that there are "only 3 9.8 copies in the world" or some other stupid claim.

October HA auction ... I'll be daydreaming till the sale.

was that a former 6.5 sold by Rick?

I don't want to speak for Rick. As far as I know, there's only ever been one unrestored 6.5 on the census. That copy was in a private collection for 20 years until I got it from the owner and sold it in 2012. This 7.0 I believe is from a collection from outside of the country that HA has been working on for years with some really killer books.

UM.... HOLY S%#$!

lf_zpsf2f2821f.jpeg

I need a cold shower!

I've only ever sold 3 copies of pep22. Two goods and a pre arranged 3.5 to and from. Adam had a nice 6.5 at NYcc a few years ago in a booth we shared but not sure of the details surrounding his sale as I wasn't involved (thumbs u

UM.... HOLY S%#$!

lf_zpsf2f2821f.jpeg

I need a cold shower!

I've only ever sold 3 copies of pep22. Two goods and a pre arranged 3.5 to and from. Adam had a nice 6.5 at NYcc a few years ago in a booth we shared but not sure of the details surrounding his sale as I wasn't involved (thumbs u

Pep 22 is a pretty scarce book. I wish I had only 3 copies of that book :)

This 7.0 makes the 2nd unrestored copy HA has ever sold, so you still got the largest comic book auction house in the world beat by 1. (thumbs u

UM.... HOLY S%#$!

lf_zpsf2f2821f.jpeg

I need a cold shower!

Pep 22 is a pretty scarce book. I wish I had only 3 copies of that book :)

This 7.0 makes the 2nd unrestored copy HA has ever sold, so you still got the largest comic book auction house in the world beat by 1. (thumbs u

I remember when I had a gd at sdcc and had just sold to Harley and Lon came over bc he heard I had a copy for sale. He said he would have bought it just so he could offer a copy (I guess at the time they had never offered an unrestored before)