• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Steampunk Variants for Feb 2014

20 posts in this topic

In my opinion. 90's, gimmick, trash. DC's so desperately trying to figure out what "the kids today" are into that their reverting back to what nearly killed the industry in the 1990's. not to mention that the quality of their stories has been going steadily downhill for a decade or more. Steampunk? What does that have to do with anything? Seems to me like a desperate bunch of old executives trying to stay relevant with "todays youth", which they clearly have little to no clue about. Whats next, clark kent goes to burningman? DC cancels hellblazer, the longest running vertigo title and one of the best book of the last 25 years and pours millions into new 52 reboots, gimmick covers, watchmen prequels, and pointless variants? Sandman overture is the only DC book that I will give my money to, and only because its gaiman (and williams!) other than that. I dont want a dollar of my money to support didio butchering the industry any further. Sorry to be so "ranty", but they've been pishing me off for years, substituting quality for gimmicks and treating creators who should be highly valued like they're worthless.

I got caught up in the 3D maddness, and I've been really turned off of DC's whole current stick. I've always been a Marvel boy, save some of the Batman runs. New 52 had my attention for a bit, but after the 3D debacle and now this, i'm not a fan of hte current DC.

Were any of the 3-D books a good read authority? Seems like I heard alot of complaints about them being terribly written, and the only positives I heard were from collectors trying to amass all of the covers..,,

I liked the Riddler 3D, and I thought a lot of the covers looked cool, but were not worth the price of admission. Too much hype. Would've been better, IMHO, if they did a 3d cover here and there in the regular series' instead of a massive dump of side-story villain books.

Im assuming by the absurdly low sales figures on the regular versions of these covers that the stories were awful.... It should be a pretty good indicator that DC need to step their game up and that people were just buying these for the covers. Reminds me of everyone back in the 90's buying multiple copies of the death of superman to keep them sealed in polybags thinknig they'll be worth something.

Were any of the 3-D books a good read authority? Seems like I heard alot of complaints about them being terribly written, and the only positives I heard were from collectors trying to amass all of the covers..,,

I would love to tell you othewise but not many. I liked the Count Vertigo, Penguin, and the Rogues. I didn't hate the Joker's Daughter but it was nothing to write home about. I think expectations were pretty high for these and for the most part, too high. The covers themselves are to me 10s. I think its okay to just have a fun book every once in a great while. It makes us appreciate the great stuff.

I got caught up in the 3D maddness, and I've been really turned off of DC's whole current stick. I've always been a Marvel boy, save some of the Batman runs. New 52 had my attention for a bit, but after the 3D debacle and now this, i'm not a fan of hte current DC.

You started the 3D madness here when you started the thread :roflmao:

I don't know how I feel about this. The steampunk covers do not offend me necessarily, but at the same time, they seem rather pointless. I'm worried that others who posted earlier in this thread may be correct in their assessment that DC is getting desperate with all of these variant covers. I don't really understand the Scribblenauts variants for January or why they are necessary, either.

As an aside, I'm surprised that there isn't a Steampunk variant for Harley Quinn #3 in February. That would be the one that I would absolutely purchase.

As for the Villain's Month titles, I thought that the covers were cool, but most of the stories were absolute garbage. After reading all of the Batman Villain's Month titles, I enjoyed the Riddler story, the Harley Quinn story and the Killer Croc story. Everything else was so-so to trash.

"reverting back to what nearly killed the industry in the 1990's"

"DC must be desperate"

Come on... I know there are a lot people disappointed of DC/Marvel, and even full-time haters out there (not saying any of you are, guys) but really?

They are not printing 8 millions issues with 7 different covers; there will not be 1:500 variants... I'm not sure but if they are done as the MAD variants, they will be just 1:25 themed variants, instead of the 1:25 sketch variants they release for almost the same series each month. ¿what's the problem with that?

I'm sure a lot of this variants will sold out instantly... flippers will flip, some people will buy at a fair price, some other people will buy at any price, most of the covers will drop value after a few months/week and the comic world will move to the next "gimmick" (if you want to call it like that) and subsequently, the next "rant" and the next "rants-about-the-rants" (like mine now)

I think some of them, done by the correct artist, will be nice

I am a little behind on my reading, but I have read the following;

The Joker - Look into his upbringing

Two-Face - Forever Evil Tie in

Ventriloquist - Look into her Origin

Poision Ivy - Look into her Origin

I really enjoyed the Two-Face & Poision Ivy out of the Four above.