• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade This Please: CGC worthy?

6 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I'm going to give you a look at the OLDEST comic in my current collection. It's a copy of 'The Warlord #1' that I bought a while ago on eBay. 'The Warlord' was one of my all-time favorites to read when I was a kid, and I'm VERY SLOWLY working on making a small collection of the old issues. I bought a big lot, also off eBay, a while back, but they were all in pretty chewed-up condition. So, they'll be my 'readers'!

Anyway, I'm going to get together 3 comics to send in for CGC grading, as part of my grandios 'experiment', and I wanted your opinions on possible grade for this issue;

The Warlord #1 (front cover) ~640Kb

The Warlord #1 (back cover) ~650Kb

Some things to keep in mind while looking this over; The cover has a VERY small, possibly 1/16-inch / 1/32-inch tear in it, on the right edge of the cover, near the guard of The Warlord's sword. There is also a tiny roll on the edge of the cover in this same area, probably what caused the tear. The pages are off-white, and MAY even be considered 'tanned' on the very lowest portion of the pages. They actually may just be considered 'Off-White/Cream' by a guide, but I haven't gotten mine yet, so I'm just guessing.

I welcome you thoughts, grades, and suggestions on this one. I think this would be a fun one to send in for grading. The first person to guess what I paid for this gets....an ATTA BOY!! acclaim.gif

This is a tricky one. It really helps if you describe any non-obvious defects -things that might be difficult or impossible to see in a scan, like non color-breaking creases.

What's with the white dots/streaks in the URC and along the right edge? Is that a printing defect or color flaking or what?

The black cover suffers in this case, and the fact that it's a BA book means CGC will grade it tough...

Assuming the white stuff along the right is not a production defect, I'm going to say 7.5 ... that's what I think CGC would grade it.