• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

California Comic book Convention 2014

48 posts in this topic

I dug up some low to mid grade Bronze and late Silver raw books that I'm bringing, including some non key Fantastic Four between 29 and the 110's. Add to that a ton of 60-70% off trade paperbacks, some CGC and CGC Signature Series books, and if it'll fit in my car, some decent quarter books too. Can't wait for Sunday!

Have a great show, Terry. I won't make it this year due to family issues but next year for sure. This is what a comic book convention should be, as pure an experience as it was 3 decades ago. If you haven't gone yet, do so.

Have a great show, Terry. I won't make it this year due to family issues but next year for sure. This is what a comic book convention should be, as pure an experience as it was 3 decades ago. If you haven't gone yet, do so.

Aw, man, that's too bad. Who's gonna help me make sales? :) good luck, hope everything works out.

You missed a nice show, Mike. Lots of books there you would've liked. I didn't stay long--only a little over an hour. I arrived early though and was able to negotiate my way around that 57 FWY transition closure w/o all the backed up gridlock I saw on my way back. I mean who needs traffic on God's Day OFF.

I didn't really have much money so I submitted two books to CGC, an Adventure Comics 210 and 100 Page DC Super-Spectacular 4, the classic Berni Wrightson all-black demon cover.

Spent about an hour making the rounds and did find a beautiful copy of Lois Lane 106, the classic "I AM Curious Black" story. Wasn't too much money and I always wanted to read the story. Hard book to find, IMHO.

What books were the highlights at the show? I missed it too :(

There were some early GA Mystery Men, Fight Comics and other Lou Fine books. Harley had the Church copy of Action Comics 84. It wasn't slabbed and I don't think it came with a certificate but he claimed it was the MH copy I guess due to its distinctive smell. I remember when I submitted my Church copy of 'Tec Comics 167 I didn't have a certificate either. I guess CGC has a MH expert who somehow determines by smell, PQ and colors, if a copy is indeed a Mile High.

I know "Sacentaur" is good at this, too.

If you're into comics and don't want to be bothered with large crowds that are attracted by the Hollywood-type booths, then this is the best show in town. Too bad it's only once a year.

What books were the highlights at the show? I missed it too :(

There were some early GA Mystery Men, Fight Comics and other Lou Fine books. Harley had the Church copy of Action Comics 84. It wasn't slabbed and I don't think it came with a certificate but he claimed it was the MH copy I guess due to its distinctive smell. I remember when I submitted my Church copy of 'Tec Comics 167 I didn't have a certificate either. I guess CGC has a MH expert who somehow determines by smell, PQ and colors, if a copy is indeed a Mile High.

I know "Sacentaur" is good at this, too.

If you're into comics and don't want to be bothered with large crowds that are attracted by the Hollywood-type booths, then this is the best show in town. Too bad it's only once a year.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. It seemed like you had a great time! That MH Action 84 must've been special! I've always wanted to smell the pages of a MH book.

I had a great time yesterday. The turnout seemed good, especially in the afternoon. I even sold a wall book at 5 pm... The power of not shutting down early. :) Saw some familiar faces, did a tiny amount of shopping, and picked up 2 new pieces of art thanks to the raffle. Thumbs up all around!