• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you tell if a CGC has been tampered?

9 posts in this topic

i ordered a CGC comic off of ebay and i noticed that the case is a little bit loose on the right side in the middle. i can squeeze it tighter with my fingers but there isn't a major open pocket or anything like that. also, the label is starting to sink. how do you know if it's been tampered with? are there any CGC forgeries out there?

For the outer shell of the CGC case, only the four corner posts are sealed. That means that the sides will seperate a small bit. This is not a sign of tampering. The label will occasionally fall between the slabs, again not a sign of tampering.

I have not seen any slabs without obvious signs of tampering. I do not think someone has yet been able to "crack a slab" without noticeable signs.

Others on here may have other experiences with this.

I recently purchased a book from ebay as well and the same gap can be made on the right side like you mention clumsy, but there are some very small cracks on the top right corners?

Also, does it take a while to get a book into the cgc census? I purchased a blue beetle 6/67 #1 8.0 and there are no 8.0's listed in the census. The book looks like an 8 but I don't want to bust it open further and investigate. What do you guys suggest.

I recently purchased a book from ebay as well and the same gap can be made on the right side like you mention clumsy, but there are some very small cracks on the top right corners?

Also, does it take a while to get a book into the cgc census? I purchased a blue beetle 6/67 #1 8.0 and there are no 8.0's listed in the census. The book looks like an 8 but I don't want to bust it open further and investigate. What do you guys suggest.

Depending on when it was graded, it may not have been added to the census yet. Or it could have been graded and just never got added (I'm not sure if this is possible, but it's a guess)

I've opened a few slabs where the posts remained intact and the slab could be pressed back together,but that inner well is another story.Those will be destroyed in the opening process every time.It might be possible to switch labels if one were to leave the book in the well and then superglue the slab back together,but I think I remember a post(cgc vs. pgx...I think)that explained why that would be very difficult if not impossible.Several months will usually go by between census updates so if your book fell on the cusp,you could be looking at up to 6 months before it shows up.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. I still RARELY buy anything through the mail that is not certified,I've been burned too many times.

For the outer shell of the CGC case, only the four corner posts are sealed. That means that the sides will seperate a small bit. This is not a sign of tampering. The label will occasionally fall between the slabs, again not a sign of tampering.

I have not seen any slabs without obvious signs of tampering. I do not think someone has yet been able to "crack a slab" without noticeable signs.

Others on here may have other experiences with this.

I have popped a bunch of slabs open with very clean breaks on all posts. A little crazy glue

on each post would put it back together, no problem.

I do not think someone has yet been able to "crack a slab" without noticeable signs.

Of course they have. gossip.gif

Hammer being an obvious example, he even posted a 'how to guide' on the boards. It didn't last long before the Mods pulled it though.