• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine rebootededed

55 posts in this topic

What exactly are the best reads and time periods for Wolverine? I actually liked the beginning of Savage Wolverine and then the storyline died.

If you liked the adventurous-type Wolverine stories you would really like V2 from 1 to about 33 I think. He goes on worldwide adventures, etc and they are great stories that don't have a lot of overflow from his "regular" canon (i.e., mysterious past, X-men, etc).

I liked what they were doing for the buildup to issue #50, and his return to Mariko in the mid-50's was good. The 60's were actually pretty good if you liked Texiera's work. After he lost his adamantium - well, that pretty much killed the character for good. IMHO, after that period - he was just never written the same.

Wolverine: Origins (not the gawd-awful concoction Joe Q krapped all over the MU) wasn't terrible, although a lot of it seemed foreign and out of character for Logan. And if you read one other Wolverine story at all, read Old Man Logan. Easily the best story written about him aside from the first Miller/Claremont limited series.

The thing I didn't get is that this "All-New Marvel NOW!" seems to implicitly require that series start over for the total change of branding from "Marvel NOW!" One article I read pointed out that Avengers wouldn't start over for "All-New Marvel NOW!" but that issue 24 would be considered the first issue of the "All-New Marvel NOW!" branding for that series.

There really needs to be a revolution in comics, and it seems it must come from the independents, or out of left field.

Wait, are you saying that first there was MARVEL NOW and then now it's ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW? I haven't read a new MARVEL/DC book in years, so I'm rather confused by what is going on now...

Can someone clue me in?

Thanks!

That's what the article on CBR seemed to imply in the final paragraph.

Thanks, but oh so bloody confusing.

What exactly are the best reads and time periods for Wolverine? I actually liked the beginning of Savage Wolverine and then the storyline died.

The Claremont/Miller original mini-series in 1982 was pretty good. The first 10 or so issues of the ongoing series from '88 were ok. I liked the Marvel Comics Presents Weapon X issues 72-84 by Barry Windsor-Smith from 1991. I read some of Wolverine Vol. 3 by Greg Rucka in 2003, maybe the first 20 issues or so, that I enjoyed. I read the Wolverine Origin Mini-series years after it came out, it didn't live up to the hype. I've never read Old Man Logan but I have heard that's good.

Other than that I have read an issue here and there but nothing ever really impressed.

I'd agree with the above, except that I never read the Rucka stuff and I did enjoy the Origin mini-series. I would also suggest BYRNE/CLAREMONT issues of UNCANNY X-MEN issues.

OLD MAN LOGAN was fun, and I also enjoyed MILLAR's ENEMY OF THE STATE/AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. arc.

Wolverine went downhill in the early 1990s.

Pick up the first Wolverine Essential. I think it covers the first 43 issues of the regular series. A good read for cheap, as long as black&white art doesn't turn you off.

-slym

Just saw on Marvels Facebook feed that they're rebooting Wolverine again. Apparently Marvel Now = Marvel Later'ish?

I stopped with the last reboot after 3 issues anyway, and there's pretty much zero chance I'll pick up the new title. It's sort of disappointing that these guys can't seem to just get back to their roots, tell a good story, and not up everything they put out.

Maybe 3rd (or 4th or 12th) time's a charm.

1450099_10151972305762488_490975781_n.jpg

Why does a man with adamantium bones and a healing factor need armor on the sides of his uniform?

To look cooler.

Just be glad it isn't pouches... and a huge gun.

-slym

Just saw on Marvels Facebook feed that they're rebooting Wolverine again. Apparently Marvel Now = Marvel Later'ish?

I stopped with the last reboot after 3 issues anyway, and there's pretty much zero chance I'll pick up the new title. It's sort of disappointing that these guys can't seem to just get back to their roots, tell a good story, and not up everything they put out.

Maybe 3rd (or 4th or 12th) time's a charm.

1450099_10151972305762488_490975781_n.jpg

Why does a man with adamantium bones and a healing factor need armor on the sides of his uniform?

He still takes damage and can get hurt.

In one of his recent issues, he lost his healing factor.

In other Wolverine news:

Wolverine and the X-Men to end in February

I haven't read that particular series but I'd say a little less Wolverine right now wouldn't be a bad thing. He seems to be in a lot of titles these days and is becoming a little over saturated. I really like the character but there is such thing as too much of a good thing!

In other Wolverine news:

I haven't read that particular series but I'd say a little less Wolverine right now wouldn't be a bad thing. He seems to be in a lot of titles these days and is becoming a little over saturated. I really like the character but there is such thing as too much of a good thing!

The 1990s called, said they want their over-exposed Wolverine back.

:ohnoez:

-slym

In other Wolverine news:

I forgot I did buy the first TPB and Wolv & the Xmen and it was, obviously, pretty forgettable. I had heard from numerous sources it was "the wolverine title to read". I thought it was really sub par. The little brood character that attended the school was sort of endearing but nothing else in that story did it for me.