• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Artists with bad/spoiled attitudes ruin your appreciation for their work

49 posts in this topic

Do Artists with bad/spoiled attitudes at conventions and online ruin your appreciation for their work and in particular how much your willing to spend directly with them on original art??

An artists public persona used to have zero influence on how I perceived their work but several bad experiences dealing with artists I admire have really changed my point of view. I see high profile writers and artist constantly insult fans on twitter and facebook these days. I notice this tends to escalate around convention season where i suppose they are treated like movie stars and get a warped sense of importance.

I guess having an ego is part of what make a talented artist but considering what they ask for original art I expect to be treated with a base level of respect especially when spending my money to support their projects or purchase art.

Most of the artists I like have passed away. Times are different and a lot of people/ artists are PR driven even hiring PR firms to direct them and get publicity. The bad boy artist is an archetype that people buy into unfortunately.

I tend to avoid the '$200 headsketch / fixed pose / same sketch everytime' kind of artists when it comes to adding sketches/commissions to my collection. I want something unique. I don't want to pay my hard earned money for the same thing the next guy who asks for a Batman head sketch will receive.

Most of the artists I like have passed away. Times are different and a lot of people/ artists are PR driven even hiring PR firms to direct them and get publicity. The bad boy artist is an archetype that people buy into unfortunately.

PR firms? really?

I tend to avoid the '$200 headsketch / fixed pose / same sketch everytime' kind of artists when it comes to adding sketches/commissions to my collection. I want something unique. I don't want to pay my hard earned money for the same thing the next guy who asks for a Batman head sketch will receive.

I've had some issues with artists who take commissions but have a 'you'll get what i give you' attitude. I guess there are enough people buying art these days to let a popular artist get away with delivering subpar art with a attitude

Do Artists with bad/spoiled attitudes at conventions and online ruin your appreciation for their work and in particular how much your willing to spend directly with them on original art??

An artists public persona used to have zero influence on how I perceived their work but several bad experiences dealing with artists I admire have really changed my point of view I see high profile writers and artist constantly insult fans on twitter and facebook these days. I notice this tends to escalate around convention season where i suppose they are treated like movie stars and get a warped sense of importance.

Oh yes. It's happened to me. There were artists I supported when they were obscure and didn't have main stream gigs. I would buy a piece from them every time I saw them, commissioned them when they needed cash, made sure to tell everyone how great they were, etc.

There was one guy, he got a movie deal, just a deal...not an actual movie, and changed almost overnight, blew me off several times, and basically forgot about the 10 years that preceded his "discovery". It was sad, not to get into details but I liquidated almost everything I had by him within the next year. I just couldn't look at it the same way anymore.

Yes. This is probably the reason it took me so long to get into OA. In the late '80s, I had a chance to see my favorite artist in person at a convention. During his panel, he kept referring to himself in the third person, had an overall arrogant tone, and just came off like a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces. It was a big letdown. Before that, I had thought about buying some art from him. After that, I decided it was probably better that I just enjoy reading the comics and leave it at that. I extended that outlook to all creators...hence, no more caring about meeting them or buying their art. Why set myself up for disappointment?

Ironically, about 15 years later, I ran into this artist again at a show. Only this time there was a 180 degree change in attitude. He was humble, gracious, and fan-friendly. I decided to get a commission from him on impulse. It was the most I had ever spent on anything comic book related up to that point. I could tell he appreciated the fan support. He delivered in a timely fashion. I was blown away by the work. That was my first real piece of OA and got the ball rolling on my collection.

Still, these days I try to focus on the work. First and foremost, I have to like the art. Anything after that is a bonus.

Definitely.

I purposely attended a convention to get a Neal Adams sketch of my girlfriend.

Neal gave me a discounted priced based on the fact you could buy one of his books with a sketch for cheaper than his normal sketch prices. Regardless, it was a very unusual request and he honored it.

Afterwards several artists asked me how much I paid and badmouthed him over his prices. It was obvious that they resented how much Neal was able to charge. These were artists that everyone knows and I kept thinking what slime balls they were. I wouldn't want a sketch for them if they paid me to take it.

I also resent artists on Twitter preaching how we should only talk nice about modern comics. I consider the majority of them to be garbage. I want them to go away. I'm not going to talk nice about stuff that I want to go away.

DG

An artists public persona used to have zero influence on how I perceived their work but several bad experiences dealing with artists I admire have really changed my point of view I see high profile writers and artist constantly insult fans on twitter and facebook these days. I notice this tends to escalate around convention season where i suppose they are treated like movie stars and get a warped sense of importance.

Oh yes. It's happened to me. There were artists I supported when they were obscure and didn't have main stream gigs. I would buy a piece from them every time I saw them, commissioned them when they needed cash, made sure to tell everyone how great they were, etc.

There was one guy, he got a movie deal, just a deal...not an actual movie, and changed almost overnight, blew me off several times, and basically forgot about the 10 years that preceded his "discovery". It was sad, not to get into details but I liquidated almost everything I had by him within the next year. I just couldn't look at it the same way anymore.

Facebook fan pages and twitter have ruined my perception of more artists in the past year than i though possible. Seems like many would rather be thought of as movie stars/producers than artists. I always find it amusing when an artist complains about the fanboy mentality and says they don't read or even like comics. They think of themselves as directors or creators. They forget what got them that Hollywood deal.

I'm in a similar situation right now, thinking of liquidating a particular artists work I've collected over the years after trying to deal with them/or rep directly for the first time.

Yes. This is probably the reason it took me so long to get into OA. In the late '80s, I had a chance to see my favorite artist in person at a convention. During his panel, he kept referring to himself in the third person, had an overall arrogant tone, and just came off like a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces. It was a big letdown.

Jeez...how many times do I have to apologize? :eyeroll:

Yes. It is why I stopped collecting art and have slowly been selling off my collection.

They ALL disappointed you?

I think art collecting is subjective and in part emotion based, so some collectors have a connection to the art based on nostalgia and others with the personality of the artists.

On the opposite side to the question, I've supported many artists whose work if by any other person / personality, I'd maybe decline, but because they're nice, I support them as a patron of their art. It's not to say it's charity or the art is sub-par, but it's to say that an artist's personality embellishes the artwork to me.

It's the same question people may have of "if a hot girl has a bad personality, does that make her less appealing?"

For the attitudes, I've witnessed 'em all without naming names other than last name initials of the worst I've encountered where I like their art at a surface level, but wouldn't patronize them for the external reasons.

"A" - has a horribly rude person representing him, so with that I'd refuse to buy.

"M" - carries an attitude, and when he sketches it takes less than 1 minute when his mood fits, yet he refuses to sketch for fans most of the time

"B" - actually said "f-off" to someone at a convention for a signature, not even a sketch.

"S" - has the whole "the check's in the mail" syndrome of taking advanced payment and being slow to deliver on commissions.

"L" - drew the worst nearly insulting doodle as a sketch with a clear lack of pride in his craft.

So, I do think most people if offended can take a dislike to an artist and their work and it be a rational decision.

There's too many good options to let the bad ones get rewarded.

to answer the OP,YES. Artists who jerk me around over commissions fall by the wayside in my fan eyes.Or guys who are jerks in person as well. But I have witnessed real all-time faves be jerks to other people and overlooked it. I also limit my exposure to two of my favorite artists based on prior interactions so as to not ruin my feelings about them. Three actually. Maybe the third. Anyway, I also believe that meeting the great guy artist makes up for all that. Walt Simonson, Tom Raney, Steranko, Jim Cheung, I could go on and on about guys like that who are great men and great fun to talk with at shows.Or guys I have met and had nice experiences with like Julius Schwartz, Will Eisner, Mike Wieringo, Carmine Infantino. It goes both ways obviously...okay, off to work.

Obviously it's a two way street, but a bad apple can spoil the bunch. I'm waiting on a commission from an artist that was originally quoted for a two week turn-around time back in April. Meanwhile, every time I check out his Facebook page, he's shilling a new piece that he just created that week. Some of these are for conventions, which I understand. He's got to pay for travel and make some money while there, but some of them are things he's created for his online store, etc. If he can get those pieces done that quickly, why am I still waiting on mine months later? (shrug)

With each passing day, I want the piece less and less. :sorry:

Needless to say, once we conclude our business, I won't be sending anymore his way.

I look at it like music.

Classic example IMO is Axl Rose is a grade a hole.

but I still love guns and roses.

Would I hire him to play a concert? Hell no

Do I listen to and appreciate his music? Hell ya! :headbang:

If a creator is a jerk, I won't get a commission, but I may buy a published page from their art rep. And I'll still read and enjoy the comics they created.

If a creator is a jerk, I won't get a commission, but I may buy a published page from their art rep. And I'll still read and enjoy the comics they created.

Hmm...for me, it was an all-or-nothing reaction. Not only will I not purchase any new pages/commissions from the artist, I also sold 80+ pages of artwork and I haven't had the slightest inkling of remorse.

I love Moore's art on TWD but his attitude has kind of ruined things for me. I still have a couple of pages but I am just holding on to them for investment purposes. Sold 2 of them a while back when he priced his TWD stuff very high (not so high anymore?). They way he went about things was just wrong in my opinion and it left a sour taste in my mouth.