• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

35 Cent Variant Pedigree info
2 2

61 posts in this topic

blush.gif Hear is something very interesting I have discovered a printing error in my Howard the Duck #15 35 cent variant it has 4 pages where the color plates were switched "see DiceX's thread in Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issue about Production Flaws".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hear is what I am thinking if the 35 cent variants were printed at the same time as the normal 30 cent issues which I assume they were because if they were not they would be reprints right.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif And since the 35 cent variant of this Howard the Duck 15 has 4 pages of errors and the normal 30 cent verision does not would this not mean that the 35 cent variants were printed first and after they corrected the error they printed the normal 30 cent ones. Is this Proff that 35 cent variants were printed before the normal 30 cent version ? I don't know for sure but I have seen two HTD 15 variants with this error and I have seen dozens of the normal 30 cent version with out it and it doesn't make sense that the error would happen at the end of a print run which would require plate changes what does everyone else think? confused-smiley-013.gif

653234-HTDp.18error.jpg

Always nice to read about like-minded comics enthusiasts getting into the core of things. Maybe someone can compile a collection of such informative topics into a fanzine, or maybe incorporate it into a regular feature in one of the backissue mags like Alter Ego or Backissue. Keep up the great discussion, guys! Just reading makes me feel as if i'm transported back in time to the swinging 70s!

The whole idea of this is so weird...any similar things in any other 35 cent variants?!?

]

Where and how did you managed to obtain the area distributions charts from, CSM?

I made the Charts myself from the distribution marks on the top edges of 35 cent variants that I had or have seen. The Charts are very incomplete and I Have not done anything to update them in many years. I still don't have any concret info on where that 5th test market is and one or two of the other Markets might not be exactaly where I originally thought they were. The only ones I am %100 sure of is Wilmington NC. and Toledo OH. because large original owner collections cam from both those areas. I am still interested in the subject and am always looking for more info just have not found out much in a long time. (shrug)

You know as much as anyone on the subject Terry. :headbang:

this is where I would usually pop in and refer to Terry as being a "nerd", but I will not do that this time.

:roflmao:

Is it safe to assume similar issues like the star wars books, for instance, came out every four weeks after the first issue? No westerns?

blush.gif Hear is something very interesting I have discovered a printing error in my Howard the Duck #15 35 cent variant it has 4 pages where the color plates were switched "see DiceX's thread in Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issue about Production Flaws".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hear is what I am thinking if the 35 cent variants were printed at the same time as the normal 30 cent issues which I assume they were because if they were not they would be reprints right.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif And since the 35 cent variant of this Howard the Duck 15 has 4 pages of errors and the normal 30 cent verision does not would this not mean that the 35 cent variants were printed first and after they corrected the error they printed the normal 30 cent ones. Is this Proff that 35 cent variants were printed before the normal 30 cent version ? I don't know for sure but I have seen two HTD 15 variants with this error and I have seen dozens of the normal 30 cent version with out it and it doesn't make sense that the error would happen at the end of a print run which would require plate changes what does everyone else think? confused-smiley-013.gif

653234-HTDp.18error.jpg

Always nice to read about like-minded comics enthusiasts getting into the core of things. Maybe someone can compile a collection of such informative topics into a fanzine, or maybe incorporate it into a regular feature in one of the backissue mags like Alter Ego or Backissue. Keep up the great discussion, guys! Just reading makes me feel as if i'm transported back in time to the swinging 70s!

The whole idea of this is so weird...any similar things in any other 35 cent variants?!?

The only other one I can think of is the Captain America #212 with the missing banner, the thing is the 35 cent variant has it with and without the banner so the error got fixed even before they could print the whole 35 cent variant run so they cought it pretty quick, and I have never seen a 30 cent one with this error.

573403-Cap%20error.jpg

Another interesting book I discovered is the Amazing Spider-Man #174 if you look at the fat diamond ones you will notice that the P in the tital SPIDER-MAN has no color blue behind it, this error is also present in some of the regular editions so they fixed this error sometime during the regular print run. So this leads me to also believe that the Fat Diamond "Whitman/Direct Market" books were also printed before the regular editions. What do you think? (shrug)2c

This makes a lot of sense Terry. The Cap 212 no banner variant really proves it to me since that is a glaring error and would have been caught fairly quickly. It could be that the shorter runs (whether 35 cent or Fat Diamond) are always first since they would require changes compared to the longer runs of the normal copies.

BTW, did you ever finish the 30 cent variant set? Just curious. Good to have your input regardless.

653234-HTDp.18error.jpg

The only other one I can think of is the Captain America #212 with the missing banner, the thing is the 35 cent variant has it with and without the banner so the error got fixed even before they could print the whole 35 cent variant run so they cought it pretty quick, and I have never seen a 30 cent one with this error.

573403-Cap%20error.jpg

Another interesting book I discovered is the Amazing Spider-Man #174 if you look at the fat diamond ones you will notice that the P in the tital SPIDER-MAN has no color blue behind it, this error is also present in some of the regular editions so they fixed this error sometime during the regular print run. So this leads me to also believe that the Fat Diamond "Whitman/Direct Market" books were also printed before the regular editions. What do you think? (shrug)2c

The #212 35 Cent Variant No Banner, :takeit: , just let me know your asking price.

Do you have Sgt. Fury #141 & #142 35 cent variant, extras of course?

The #212 35 Cent Variant No Banner, :takeit: , just let me know your asking price.

(shrug) Sorry I got them but I don't have extras of any of these.

:gossip: Roger I am still 2 Westerns short of the 30 cent set maybe some day I will finish up.

:baiting: Actually I am waiting on Harry to finish the 35's before I get serious about these.

(shrug) Sorry I got them but I don't have extras of any of these.

:gossip: Roger I am still 2 Westerns short of the 30 cent set maybe some day I will finish up.

:baiting: Actually I am waiting on Harry to finish the 35's before I get serious about these.

I would like to help you get serious for sure. :sorry:

653234-HTDp.18error.jpg

573403-Cap%20error.jpg

Neatstuff Collectibles had one for sale for awhile for $4k or more.

I am thinking on the more side for price since the other owners will not sell and Brian is a man of business who knows that. 2c

One of the Cap 212 blank banners surfaced last weekend at the one day Detroit show. A dealer acquaintance of mine nabbed it for a buck out of ANOTHER dealer's blowout stock.

Sigh...five minutes too late.....

One of the Cap 212 blank banners surfaced last weekend at the one day Detroit show. A dealer acquaintance of mine nabbed it for a buck out of ANOTHER dealer's blowout stock.

Sigh...five minutes too late.....

If it looks better then the one on EBay then..... :takeit: if your friend wants to sell it for a fair price.

As it turns out that one IS the one on ebay.

Linky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-212-35-CENT-EDITION-WITH-NO-LOGO-VARIANT-COVER-HOLY-GRAIL-/380750719808?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item58a682eb40

Warp 9 is my dealer amigo's store

That looks like the 4.5 that went missing off the census. :facepalm:

I bet the other copy is another cracked slab copy and is the book that sold a few times on the internet.

:) Hi Robert

No I did not get to go this time, maybe next year. :wishluck:

:gossip: Did you find any Cool Variants to tell us about?

Only 1 and it wasn't a variant, but a harder to find Acme/Dingo ASM book below. Still a spider book. Tried some new shops there I can tell you about later

to check out next time you are in that area.

asmacme.jpg

Edited by Fastballspecial

:) Hi Robert

No I did not get to go this time, maybe next year. :wishluck:

:gossip: Did you find any Cool Variants to tell us about?

Only 1 and it wasn't a variant, but a harder to find Acme/Dingo ASM book below. Still a spider book. Tried some new shops there I can tell you about later

to check out next time you are in that area.

asmacme.jpg

Nice find.

Linky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-212-35-CENT-EDITION-WITH-NO-LOGO-VARIANT-COVER-HOLY-GRAIL-/380750719808?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item58a682eb40

I bet the other copy is another cracked slab copy and is the book that sold a few times on the internet.

Well now, if it went missing off the census, it somehow got dumped into a store overstock and sold for a dollar. Loren from Warp 9 Comics bought it about three or four minutes before I went through the same box, and handed Roger from Collectors Zone out of Jackson a buck for it. Roger was doing all dollar boxes that day, probably cleaning out a collection he'd bought recently, or old store overstock from his own store.

Loren showed it to me a few minutes later, told me what he'd done. He looked it up on his tablet right there and then, found the listing for $4K, and was a bit boggled. Me too.

No guarantee I would've spotted it myself, although that bare logo banner DOES stick out.

Linky

Well now, if it went missing off the census, it somehow got dumped into a store overstock and sold for a dollar. Loren from Warp 9 Comics bought it about three or four minutes before I went through the same box, and handed Roger from Collectors Zone out of Jackson a buck for it. Roger was doing all dollar boxes that day, probably cleaning out a collection he'd bought recently, or old store overstock from his own store.

Loren showed it to me a few minutes later, told me what he'd done. He looked it up on his tablet right there and then, found the listing for $4K, and was a bit boggled. Me too.

No guarantee I would've spotted it myself, although that bare logo banner DOES stick out.

If Roger can give some history on how he got the book then that would help a lot to see if this is a new copy or that same copy.