• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mildly interesting

12 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Massively Marvel Online Game 9/19/02

Vivendi Universal Publishing has signed a 10-year licensing deal with comic book maker Marvel Enterprises granting Vivendi the right to develop and publish massively multiplayer online games based on Marvel superheroes. The first such game is meant to release in 2005.

I've been wanting a game like this since I started playing exclusively online multiplayer games like Ultima Online, Quake, WarCraft, etc. The problem is that EVERYBODY will want to be Spider-Man or Wolverine, but if hundreds or thousands of players are on a server at once, most of us will have to settle for dumb characters like Rocket Racer, the Grizzly, the Blue Beetle, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how they give hundreds of people at once something to do...

• Administrator

Yah, it's hard to imagine how they'd actually pull it off. I'd think they'd do something more like the X-men universe, only you don't get to be THE superheros, you just get to be a mutant, and pick a variety of powers, etc. etc.

The perhaps, you have to choose whether to be a good guy, a bad guy, or a human.

I dunno. It's definitely tough. I think that in Star Wars Galaxies (the PIG (persistent interactive game) that uses the Star Wars License) they have just skipped the main characters. So you just don't ever get to be Darth Vader, etc.. But you can be a jedi (well some people can).

One way or another, it ought to be interesting.

Arch