• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safety Deposit Box?

34 posts in this topic

Reading through some old issues of Comic Book Marketplace, I've noticed that many collectors mention keeping their books in a safety deposit box at the bank. I don't really like the idea of having to make a trip to the bank whenever I want to look at some of my books. And yet I can see the reason for it, especially if a collector has keys like Action 1 or 'Tec 27. Does anyone here put their books in a safety deposit box? I'm just curious if the benefits outweigh the inconvenience.

I had a safety deposit box for a while, and certainly would get one again if I had a few very big ticket books. The problem for the kind of books I have is that getting a box big enough is cost prohibitive (not to mention inconvenient). I ended up buying a large fireproof safe and it's big enough to keep around 200 books. That will hold all of my books that are worth >$200 each with ease. Lots of ease... 27_laughing.gif

I bought a fireproof safe also. We keep a few comics in it plus important documents. Much more convenient that a safe deposit box.

What was the brand and cost for your fireproof safe. A major problem with most fireproof safes is that they are still relatively EASY to break into. In fact, some fireproof safes are so light, that a theif could simply cart your whole safe away if they put some effort into it. frown.gif

Usually when it comes to comics, the chance of a loss due to burglary is higher than the chance of a loss due to a fire. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In fact, some fireproof safes are so light, that a theif could simply cart your whole safe away if they put some effort into it.

They are intended to be bolted on the floor or wall. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fireproof safes and gun safes sound like a better idea than using a safety deposit box. When I was a kid, the local comic book store(Comic Investments) had their valuable books in a fireproof file cabinet. I've always wanted to get one, but end up spending any extra cash I have on books or film related memorabilia rather than something heavy duty to protect them. I guess I need to start looking into this. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah I went out and got myself a large sentry firesafe.

They are perfect for protecting your comics, plus you can make sure they are being kept in the right conditions (nice cool climate controled). With a bank you can be pretty confident they are keeping the place at the right conditions . . .

. . . but you still can't be absolutely sure. Because I have poured so much of my hard earned cash into my collection I just like to be sure my comics are being kept in the exact conditions that I specify myself. It just gives me good peace of mind. Plus you can't get past the fact that they are available to you whenever you want - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I like to know that whenever I wake up at 2:00 in the morning and just have some strange urge to take a look at my Incredible Hulk #1 that all I have to is go to my bedroom and break out the key to my safe. insane.gif

how do you adjust the climate conditions inside your safe? Or do you only mean inside your room or house...? For me I dont think the bank tries topo hard about their climate - - some are too cool, some are too near the heating systems. But stuff in there sits untouched in the dark with little interaction with anything for long periods of time which are both good. (Limits the SCS too!)

Also, these fireproof safes have temperature limits right? And, even though the objects wont catch fire inside them, cant they still be incinerated by the heat that builds up within? I dont think that, except fior the finest and prohibitively expensive (or externally cooled) safes that they are guaranteed to preserve contents in unlimited exposure to intense heat. Maybe only minutes at certain temperatures.... So while it sounds good, depending on its specs, it really may only serve as a burglary retardant... since nothing is really a 100% burglary stopper.

I have a safe too, so believe me, Im talking about my safekeeping methods too! Mine's big and strong but not "fire-rated". I figure if their time is up by fire or theft, all we can do is slow the burglars and heat down, not totally prevent disaster. But its sure better than leaving them in a comics box in the closet!

I was living in sin with a sweet lil thing, and she had a safe. The comics were all in storage, she was not the one, and well... I probably never would have got them back.

She had a small safe digital locks payed about a grand for it, she used it for her buisness. One warm summer day, she was getting some cash out of the safe, and noticed all the bills were wet. Few days later all the cash was soaked, her rings were getting wet and.. well... Im glad I had not put any books in there.

The explination she was given was the condensation from the air conditioning vent that ran near the safe... or that moisture in the bills from the humidity caused it 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif anyway I didnt buy it.. We ended up getting a product used for keeping moisture out of gunsafes. Mostly silica, it swells when it is "full" throw it in the oven.. It drys out and Repeat the ritual every few months.

It was a "fire-safe" safe.. I mean it must be, all the documents were so saturated... No way it could catch fire. I ended up making her miserable and lost my big screen TV and Speakers and in the process. I however do still have my pride, and her DVD collection.... all I wanna say about that messed up situation is... I miss that dog... (80 some pound golden retriever that thought he was a lap dog)

So..... if U guys are thinking about buying a safe, Just wanna throw a word of warning out there.

Fireproof safes and gun safes sound like a better idea than using a safety deposit box. When I was a kid, the local comic book store(Comic Investments) had their valuable books in a fireproof file cabinet. I've always wanted to get one, but end up spending any extra cash I have on books or film related memorabilia rather than something heavy duty to protect them. I guess I need to start looking into this. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I hear about fire-proof file cabinets, I think back to when I was watching MTV cribs one day. They had Sebastian Bach, the lead singer of Skid Row on, and he was showing off his comics which were kept in one of these file cabinets. At the time I thought what a great idea. Until I saw how much one of these babies sells for. 893whatthe.gif

I have a safe deposit box at the bank. It holds plenty of mylared comics and costs a few hundred a year.

893whatthe.gif Better shop around. I found a bank that has boxes that range from $25 to $50. The box I got can hold about 40 comics in mylars or bags/boards comfortably. Or around 15 slabbed books maybe. Not sure how many slabs cause I only have a few of them in the safety deposit box. Costs me $32 a year.

I only keep my most expensive comics in it. I just feel they are safer there. Plus the bank is responsible for loss.

Plus the bank is responsible for loss.

Better check the terms of your safety deposit agreement. Most banks will only reimburse safety deposit box losses up to a stated amount, regardless of what you put in there, because they have no idea what people put in their boxes.

I alos use a SD box for my most valuable comics. I have a fairly large one and can get about 150 mylared books in there. I try to put all books worth over $500 in there. I think I pay about 100 per year for it.

I have often thought about getting a fire resistent filing cabinet for home. about 600 as I recall for a four drawer model. Since the only place I coulod put that would be in the garage I was worried about the climate conditions inside. While the bank may not be perfect conditions it has to be better than the garage.

BTW I am sure that the bank is NOT responsible for any damage or loss to the contents of the box.

Attached is one of the books in the Box. I have scans of most of the books in there.

623621-showcase8.jpg.3baec22171dd1db29b0f4fd7a655ded1.jpg

When I think of changing careers, I think I'd like to become a carpenter who specializes in building decorous and safe collectibles cabinets. I mean, is there anything less aesthetically pleasing or more ill-shaped than a longbox? I've got 9 of them and they just sit in my bedroom taking up a huge amount of space. No closet will hold them, and if I moved them into myy LR or den, they're still battered white cardboard boxes. I need a separate room for my collectibles, but that's not going to happen. A nice oak or cherry cabinet that can be made to match the furniture in your bedroom/office/living room would be sweet. It could be lockable and lined with metal or something to make it fire- and burglar-proof.

There was a waitlist at my bank for a large safe deposit box, so I went out last year and bought a Liberty/National Security brand safe for rifles. It's about five feet tall and can hold 6-8 short boxes if you reconfigure the shelving. It is well worth the investment IMHO, especially if you have some expensive books in your collection.

As far as climate control, I bought a few larger sized silica gel bags and a digital thermometer/ humidity gauge. I leave them in there, recharging the bags every few months. It's worked pretty well. The thermometer was $15 and gives you the hi's and low's on both readings for a 24 hour period. Temp inside the safe is year round between 64-67 degrees, humidity 45-48% in the dead of winter, 50-52% in the dead of summer. Pretty stable. Dri-rods were not an option as they can raise temps in a safe that size up to 80+ degrees.

I have a safe deposit box at the bank. It holds plenty of mylared comics and costs a few hundred a year.

893whatthe.gif Better shop around. I found a bank that has boxes that range from $25 to $50. The box I got can hold about 40 comics in mylars or bags/boards comfortably. Or around 15 slabbed books maybe. Not sure how many slabs cause I only have a few of them in the safety deposit box. Costs me $32 a year.

I only keep my most expensive comics in it. I just feel they are safer there. Plus the bank is responsible for loss.

those are the flat ones. Mine is 12x12x18". Holds a lot more.

And the insurance is only up to 25K. But Thats just th ebank sinsurance. Other coverage can cover it while its in the vault.

Reading through some old issues of Comic Book Marketplace, I've noticed that many collectors mention keeping their books in a safety deposit box at the bank. I don't really like the idea of having to make a trip to the bank whenever I want to look at some of my books. And yet I can see the reason for it, especially if a collector has keys like Action 1 or 'Tec 27. Does anyone here put their books in a safety deposit box? I'm just curious if the benefits outweigh the inconvenience.

Most people should have a safety deposit box (SDB) already for key documents (if you don't have a safe). After all, if you ever have a fire (and I hope you never do) you'll lose everything. SDBs can be had in different sizes. I have kept really big ticket books in mine in the past.

It is somewhat inconvenient if you want to "visit" your comics and look at them. But if you're in it for the speculation, it's not a bad idea.

I love that idea about the big rifle safe! thumbsup2.gif