• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

36 posts in this topic

I have a few books that I think would be great candidates for pressing.. I am wondering if anybody here has ever had a bad experience/damaged book from pressing? Does anybody out there know how often a book may get damaged?

I am seriously trying to answer your question here. Yes, I have had some bad experiences/damage from pressing. I'm not sure anyone can answer part two of your question, 'how often a book may get damaged'. I have some simple advice for you. If the candidate book is a keeper for your collection, don't press it. If you want to sell the book, go ahead and press it.

I actually only heard of pressing in the last couple months. I had no idea that it had came up this much. Thanks those of you who told me where to go to get some info on what I was asking.

No worries. I got back into collecting a year ago and hadn't heard of it before then either. (thumbs u

It's just that guys that have been on here for awhile have seen this topic come up ad nauseam and it gets old and like a broken record. A lot of information in those links so you'll be well-informed in no time. :idea:

Read the Cole Schave thread

I was dizzy by page 100...

Assume every book has been pressed at least once. I don't even think it factors into the pricing anymore. If a defect can be pressed out as a means of "preservation" without damaging the book, I am leaning to support it. If it's just to twist its spine around to turn an 8.5 into a 9.2 when you're hiding the defects, thumbs down.

I'm old! I got back into collecting a few years ago and never even heard of CGC :) This is why you'll get spurts of knowledge from me (subjectively) and a handful of stupid questions here and there. I collected for about 10 years before and now have that 25 year gap to fill.

No question is silly. Yes, pressing can be bad! It can be good. Lesson #1 - Don't do it yourself. :)

I have a few books that I think would be great candidates for pressing.. I am wondering if anybody here has ever had a bad experience/damaged book from pressing? Does anybody out there know how often a book may get damaged?
Never.

Improper pressing isn't 'pressing'. It's damage. CGC will deduct for the damage.

Done correctly it should be 100% undetectable, nothing happened, only factory fresh goodness for CGC to examine.

Also, experts say 'great candidates' are excruciatingly rare, so odds are you're mistaken about your own books. If that weren't the case some might worry about the wholesale altering of originals becoming an industry, controversy might set in.