• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sub-Mariner #8... vs. the Thing

16 posts in this topic

Tough black cover where EVERY singe issue is magnified. The crease along the lower edge in the middle isn't a result of poor or mis-handling the book. I think this is what folks have affectionately called a "nut-sack crease." Or am I mis-understanding what one of those are... any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Front Cover:

Submariner8.jpg

Back Cover:

Submariner8back.jpg

The crease along the lower edge in the middle isn't a result of poor or mis-handling the book. I think this is what folks have affectionately called a "nut-sack crease." Or am I mis-understanding what one of those are... any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Nut-sack crease = production crease. 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fine range.

5.0-6.0

The crease along the lower edge in the middle isn't a result of poor or mis-handling the book. I think this is what folks have affectionately called a "nut-sack crease." Or am I mis-understanding what one of those are... any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Nut-sack crease = production crease. 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fine range.

5.0-6.0

Except that it doesn't look at all like a production crease here . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, that's not a production crease at the bottom. Whether it was caused specifically by 'mis-handling' or whatever, it's a significant 'defect' that hurts the book grade-wise.

The combination of numerous sizable defects brings this one down to a FN- 5.5 in my opinion.

If this were an older book, it might get a FN or even a tad higher, but as a late SA book, it's going to be held to a higher standard by CGC.

Thats my favorite cover of all time (equals FF 112) - nice book! I'd go with a 6.5

aahhhh what do you know - you guys only finished in a tie for second place with - oh yeah - us...................nice going boys thumbsup2.gif

I think this is what folks have affectionately called a "nut-sack crease."

I guess if the creases on your nutsac are frayed and break color, I guess it could be a nutsac crease 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

but really, that is not a nutsac (production) crease wink.gif

Not to belabor a point but I thought that the crease along the bottom in the center was a nut-sack crease because it didn't go through the cover. In other words, the crease you see (so dern obviously because of the black cover) is not evident if you open the front cover. So if you started by looking at the inside front cover you'd be surprised to see a crease there when you closed the comic.

Would the crease therefore, if it was actually a nut-sack, affect the grade of the book or would it be considered a printer's defect? There's too much wrong with this book to send it in but I'm more curious than anything...

Thanks.