• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC scale of villainy

193 posts in this topic

I was just reading a B/S/T thread where the seller didn't ship for more than 30 days due to "laziness" and it got me thinking about a CGC scale of "villainy". Help me fill this out, since I'm new and only really know of the last few board scandals

10.0 (Ron Theda)

8.0 (Symbiotic)

6.0 (Future)

4.0 (Me for starting this thread)

What about the boardies who use packing peanuts? That mess gets everywhere.

I suggest a 0.03 but still enough to register on the scale.

Guilty as charged. :devil:

The stuff is better than bubble wrap for shock abortion for slabbed books. It acts as a liquid as opposed to bubble wrap which acts as a solid.

The stuff is better than bubble wrap for shock abortion for slabbed books. It acts as a liquid as opposed to bubble wrap which acts as a solid.

You figure out how to use reports to find your star dingers yet? :baiting:

I use both bubblewrap & peanuts.

:D

-slym

Something to consider for those of us that don't ship out a ton of packages.

Newspaper Pros

Newspaper is free anywhere newspaper is recycled, especially at your local newspaper. Never pay for fill again, ever.

No need to shred. Crumpled paper is fantastically strong yet fairly lightweight. And it's easier and cheaper to crumple than shred.

Good for the environment. Newspaper can be reused over and over. Taking paper ready for recycling is recycling in itself. And consumers have a easier time recycling it than peanuts, which are often tossed into the trash.

Won't shift like peanuts or other loose fill.

Newspaper bundles take up less space than most other fill

Cons

Ink can get on your fingers/products

Heavier than peanuts or other plastic fill material

Takes some work to crumple and fill

Now let's take a look at the pros and cons of using peanuts.

Peanut Pros

Lightweight and strong

Little or no mess

Easy to use

Cons

Expensive (hey, if it's not free, it's expensive for me!)

Take up lots of valuable storage space

Shift during shipping

Most types are not environmentally friendly

Hard to transfer to box with just your hands. It's about as much work as bailing out a boat.

How and where to get newspaper

Newspaper is everywhere. Your folks have it. Your neighbors have it. Wherever you live, you can find newspaper somewhere, and once it's used for anything it becomes trash, which means you get it for free. You can start by collecting used papers you see around you. But there's a better way, a way to get more higher quality paper.

Local newspapers have overruns of their current editions, and these extras, often in bundles, are set out for recycling. It may be a bad batch, or just a batch that the paper had no use for. Ask for these papers. Chances are the paper will be glad to help you out and get rid of its "trash." They're only going to hand it over to the recycling company anyway, which they pay to pick it up.

There are two reasons I can think of for a newspaper to not offer you anything. One is because they don't want others in possession of fresh copies, for fear of resale or copyright infringement, etc. But I have not encountered this issue. If it becomes a problem, introduce them to your business and let them know you are credible and will only use it for packing fill.

The other reason would be because they are already paying for the recycling company to pick it up so they want to get their money's worth out of that service. In that case, if you offer to pay a little or convince them that you won't take a lot of newspapers, you will probably get the deal. Even if you have to pay, it will be far less expensive than buying peanuts. If you don't want to pay, tell them you are going to ask at the other papers first.

How to use newspaper

It's not rocket science, but here's what I do to make sure my packages arrive safely, and buyers have never been disappointed yet!

You probably have papers in stacks or bundles, which save space compared to large bags of peanuts. Cut some bundles and put them in a box to keep them neat. Grab a sheet at a time, crumple it up, and toss it in your box. I first make a base of at least one layer of sheets crumpled and laid side by side. You want to make sure that if shock occurs on the bottom of the box, your item will be protected. Follow this padding principle for your entire package. You want ideally at least an inch of padding on each side of your item.

The smaller you crumple newspaper, the stronger it gets. It's a fact. Ever wonder why it's so hard to crush a ball of paper? You can't do it. You'd need a machine press to flatten a ball of papers you crumple. That's because when you crumple paper, you create thousands of smaller edges that reinforce each other when compressed in any way. The more you press, the more they reinforce. Don't you want this amazing physical property working for you in all your shipments? The best part, this steely strength in a relatively lightweight material is yours free!

For most items, a quick crumple is good enough to give the paper some strength. It will usually automatically crumple as you stuff it into spaces around the item. For the top, do the same as for the bottom. I always lay my packing slip on top so the buyer can find it right away and be excited.

To protect my items from ink transfer, I wrap them in bubble wrap. Now, some of you may be wondering, if I'm so fanatic about free newspaper, why would I use bubble wrap? It costs money, and it's plastic. The bottom line is no other material performs the same function quite as well as bubble wrap, and the safety of my shipments is worth it. I do buy bubble wrap, but it's fairly cheap at StarBoxes. Doing it right the first time saves us all some resources.

Just as bubble wrap performs a common function no other material can replicate, so does newspaper. Nothing surrounds, protects, and cushions items quite like newspaper. Not even foam or peanuts. Newspaper is heavier than peanuts. But what cost there is in weight is saved in using a free, recycled and recyclable material. Newspaper will leave ink on your hands. But it won't hurt you, and it washes off very easily. I have a bag of packing peanuts in my shipping room that sees little use. Newspaper has rendered those plastic pellets all but obsolete. For me, there are no excuses not to use newspaper. And I can't highlight enough how great it is that this wonderful resource is absolutely FREE!

I call BS on this.

Newspaper is markedly heavier than peanuts. An entire box full of peanuts weighs grams, while enough newpaper to protect a package that weighs 2-4 ounces light of a pound, can be over a pound when you're done. Also, you can find peanuts for free if you are diligent, but I have a used supply store (and it has EVERYTHING in it, from old books/mags/comics to pencil sharpeners to binders/folders) that sells big- bags of peanuts for a few bucks apiece, although I go in with 15-20 drekkie comics that won't sell for a quarter and trade them outright.

:)

-slym

I call BS on this.

Roy doesn't let things like science get in the way of a good post. Science is just a conspiracy meant to rob the world of feelings.

I call BS on this.

Roy doesn't let things like science get in the way of a good post. Science is just a conspiracy meant to rob the world of feelings.

I lol

I call BS on this.

While I don't think peanuts are better than bubblewrap, I do agree with his physics aspect of peanuts, but not bubblewrap - peanuts are like liquid enough that, in some cases, the object you are trying to protect can end up against the side of the box, uncushioned. I have found the face of a comic book usually is pretty safe against this shifting, but the edges seem to "cut" through and can get pressed right up against the box.

That's why I use both bubblewrap & peanuts.

;)

-slym