• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC scale of villainy

193 posts in this topic

Ideally.....a brick of bubble wrap surrounded by peanuts.

Protecting the slab is easy. Protecting the book within the slab is the tricky part. 2c

This, all of this. ^^

You mean when CGC put the book inside the slab it's not protected?

From SCS? Not always.

-slym

Ideally.....a brick of bubble wrap surrounded by peanuts.

Protecting the slab is easy. Protecting the book within the slab is the tricky part. 2c

This, all of this. ^^

You mean when CGC put the book inside the slab it's not protected?

From SCS? Not always.

-slym

Well, that sounds unprofessional.

Do premature sellers have a place on the villainy scale? (What villainy scale?) I mean, the ones who have finalized a sale of a book they haven't quite finalized the purchase of?

Absolutely!! What if something happens to the book before it arrives to you? That's insane. Just like selling a book graded but not shipped from CGc. Just asking for problems

You don't think that mess moves around in that sea of peanuts?

You don't think I know how to package a book? hm

When you shipped to me there weren't any peanuts. The slabs were double boxed but were still damaged. You used bubble wrap then.

Wasn't your fault though because the box had a nice puncture hole in it that peanuts wouldn't have helped.

I didn't package that book. (thumbs u

The USPS double box method is very popular but I don't like it personally. The cardboard is too thin on those boxes and there isn't much room for any insulation.

When using a PM Flat Rate box for slabs I have take thick oversized corrugated cardboard and sandwiched it (like doing to a comic) before wrapping with bubble wrap. I also clear packing tape up all corners of boxes with a couple strips down the middle of box to help keep from being torn. Customers are really happy.

(shrug)

Although I rarely use peanuts, I can recognise their potential in lessening the impact SCS.

You don't really want fragile items to have the ability to shift around though, which is why bubble wrap is superior ( if used properly of course ).

If your package is too rigid, it will damage the book.You do want them to shift, just not more than normal handling. The packing material needs to cushion and dissipate the force from transferring in the object you are trying to protect.

A properly designed suspension packaging method would probably be best for CGC comics. If done right, there would be mostly air in the box and it would be light.

See how the PC board is suspended (the 6th picture) on this web page.

http://www.gxtgreen.com/page/menu_4/13036.html

It would need to have a high burst strength rating on the outside box itself.

DG

(shrug)

Although I rarely use peanuts, I can recognise their potential in lessening the impact SCS.

You don't really want fragile items to have the ability to shift around though, which is why bubble wrap is superior ( if used properly of course ).

If your package is too rigid, it will damage the book.You do want them to shift, just not more than normal handling. The packing material needs to cushion and dissipate the force from transferring in the object you are trying to protect.

A properly designed suspension packaging method would probably be best for CGC comics. If done right, there would be mostly air in the box and it would be light.

DG

If you want items to shift, then why would we use the foam gun for super delicate items?

I just slap a mailing label and some stamps on a bagged and boarded comic or slab and off it goes. No complaints yet.

To all of the orders I just sent in...

Prepare for my passed off packing peanuts in certain cases for filler.

Pass on the evil... pass on the evil...

Buzz, my cat loves to jump in the box and play with the packing peanuts. Makes it hard to pass on the evil (I don't like sending out peanuts covered in cat hair, you never know if someone is allergic, so I keep two boxes of them, one for passing on and one for him to swim in (I need to dig out a pic of him doing it lol)

(shrug)

DG

If you want items to shift, then why would we use the foam gun for super delicate items?

Foam does allow it to shift. It's springy. It allows items to move and it dissipates the force while it is moving.

The force needs to be transferred away from the contents and dissipated. A very rigid package does not do that.

DG