• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC scale of villainy

193 posts in this topic

You don't think that mess moves around in that sea of peanuts?

You don't think I know how to package a book? hm

When you shipped to me there weren't any peanuts. The slabs were double boxed but were still damaged. You used bubble wrap then.

Wasn't your fault though because the box had a nice puncture hole in it that peanuts wouldn't have helped.

When you shipped to me there weren't any peanuts. The slabs were double boxed but were still damaged. You used bubble wrap then.

Wasn't your fault though because the box had a nice puncture hole in it that peanuts wouldn't have helped.

I didn't package that book. (thumbs u

The USPS double box method is very popular but I don't like it personally. The cardboard is too thin on those boxes and there isn't much room for any insulation.

I didn't package that book. (thumbs u

The USPS double box method is very popular but I don't like it personally. The cardboard is too thin on those boxes and there isn't much room for any insulation.

Ahh, you didn't package it. :)

(thumbs u

(shrug)

Although I rarely use peanuts, I can recognise their potential in lessening the impact SCS.

You don't really want fragile items to have the ability to shift around though, which is why bubble wrap is superior ( if used properly of course ).

(shrug)

Although I rarely use peanuts, I can recognise their potential in lessening the impact SCS.

You don't really want fragile items to have the ability to shift around though, which is why bubble wrap is superior ( if used properly of course ).

I think you're misunderstanding. Nobody that I know of uses 1/2 a box of peanuts and 1/2 a box of air to ship their books. The peanuts take up most (ie. all) available space and the item is in the middle of the box.

I've probably sent out 1000 packages with peanuts and have never had a complaint that the book is shifting in a box.

I'm just having a discussion about personal preference and opinion. I don't really care if someone sends a box with peanuts or bubble wrap - both are good and better than just a slab in an envelope.

My opinion is that bubble wrap is superior for keeping a book centered in a box because it doesn't move, but for the same reason it doesn't provide the best protection for cushioning impact. I'm convinced that packaging peanuts do a superior job.

Both provide distance from the edges of the box equally well (I'll give the edge to bubble wrap because it doesn't move), I just believe that the peanuts allow less of the impact to reach the center of the box and the slight (very slight) trade off of possible movement is preferred.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you could guarantee that the book stayed in the center of the sea of peanuts, it should perform as well as properly used bubble wrap. The problem would be if vibration encouraged the book to settle, followed by an impact.

If there's a large enough impact on the box to damage the book, it probably wouldn't matter if you used peanuts or bubble wrap. The main problem as you said with using peanuts as opposed to properly used bubble wrap is that objects can move around or "settle" as opposed to remaining stationary inside the box.

If you could guarantee that the book stayed in the center of the sea of peanuts, it should perform as well as properly used bubble wrap. The problem is, it is difficult to actually center everything and vibration can encourage a book to settle.

The argument is that peanuts can perform BETTER than simply bubble wrap in regards to SCS.

The hard part is creating the perfect blend of both. If a book shifts easily within the inner well, no amount of bubble wrap can prevent it from smashing up against the side of the well if the box is significantly impacted. If you are able to create some level of side-to-side movement within the box itself, the impact on the slab itself can be lessened.

Ideally.....a brick of bubble wrap surrounded by peanuts.

Protecting the slab is easy. Protecting the book within the slab is the tricky part. 2c

Faith is a wonderful thing (thumbs u

I agree!

The question is, which takes more faith?

Believing your box won't get bumped or jarred during shipping or that your cardboard/bubblewrap sandwich won't settle during shipping?

:devil:

Faith is a wonderful thing (thumbs u

I agree!

The question is, which takes more faith?

Believing your box won't get bumped or jarred during shipping or that your cardboard/bubblewrap sandwich won't settle during shipping?

:devil:

The former....and it's not even close :)

I haven't read all of the posts, but one thing I use is shredded paper. We have a paper shredder and why not recycle? This seems to work okay when you have nothing else and/or are looking to save some money.

May work well and be environmentally friendly, but it is a great idea for making a huge mess.

I haven't read all of the posts, but one thing I use is shredded paper. We have a paper shredder and why not recycle? This seems to work okay when you have nothing else and/or are looking to save some money.

May work well and be environmentally friendly, but it is a great idea for making a huge mess.

I read that some people use actual air popped popcorn. 1) because it's cheap and works the same way peanuts do and 2) it's biodegradable. I don't know if I would do that, but it's interesting.

Do premature sellers have a place on the villainy scale? (What villainy scale?) I mean, the ones who have finalized a sale of a book they haven't quite finalized the purchase of.

Packing peanuts can exhibit fluid properties, but they don't act like a liquid. If you really want fluid properties in a packing material, fill the box with bean bag fill. That'll be a nice surprise for the recipient.

For those who don't like Bubble Wrap, look out for Super Bubble Wrap.

Ideally.....a brick of bubble wrap surrounded by peanuts.

Protecting the slab is easy. Protecting the book within the slab is the tricky part. 2c

This, all of this. ^^

-slym

You mean when CGC put the book inside the slab it's not protected?

01.jpg

What about that expanding foam (great stuff)?

Wrap the slab in plastic, place it in the middle of the box and spray in the foam...cut off the excess and you are good to go.

That is what we used when sending very delicate items, it's awesome.