• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC scale of villainy

193 posts in this topic

I call BS on this.

Okey dokey!

In my younger days I worked in shipping and receiving and any professional will tell you to use bubble wrap for something fragile and peanuts for things that aren't...mainly because it's cheaper.

I think the air in the bubble wrap is acting like a liquid.

I used bubble wrap where the bubbles were filled with soda. The carbonation would help absorb and then diffuse any impact.

I literally have half a closet filled with bubble wrap and boxes of peanuts from buying from the boards and other places over the years.

I prefer bubble wrap. Although I would like to hear more about how peanuts act as a liquid in the box. hm

there is natural shrinkage of peanuts as they move through warmer climates much like liquids evaporate when subjected to increased temperatures

I call BS on this.

Okey dokey!

In my younger days I worked in shipping and receiving and any professional will tell you to use bubble wrap for something fragile and peanuts for things that aren't...mainly because it's cheaper.

So ComicLink is doing it wrong?

They're doing it cheaper.

The plastic that holds the air bubbles in bubble wrap doesn't give. The bubble wrap is only as flexible as the plastic that holds the bubbles in.

Make a ball of bubble wrap and drive your fist into it. Whatever is on the other side of the bubblewrap is going to feel much of the impact, even if a few bubbles pop. The strength of the plastic helps transfer the impact right through the item.

Now drive your fist into a box of packaging peanuts. The peanuts move in all directions and your fist moves right through them.

I'm happy to disagree with anyone, but I use packaging peanuts for slabbed books (with just a thin layer of bubble wrap around them to hold the cardboard sandwich together around the slab.

You guys use whatever you feel comfortable.

I understand.

I literally have half a closet filled with bubble wrap and boxes of peanuts from buying from the boards and other places over the years.

I prefer bubble wrap. Although I would like to hear more about how peanuts act as a liquid in the box. hm

there is natural shrinkage of peanuts as they move through warmer climates much like liquids evaporate when subjected to increased temperatures

So, it's the opposite of the true Costanza effect, where things shrink in the cold.

:lol:

-slym

What about when the peanuts are pressed?

I call BS on this.

Okey dokey!

So ComicLink is doing it wrong?

They're doing it cheaper.

The plastic that holds the air bubbles in bubble wrap doesn't give. The bubble wrap is only as flexible as the plastic that holds the bubbles in.

Make a ball of bubble wrap and drive your fist into it. Whatever is on the other side of the bubblewrap is going to feel much of the impact, even if a few bubbles pop. The strength of the plastic helps transfer the impact right through the item.

Now drive your fist into a box of packaging peanuts. The peanuts move in all directions and your fist moves right through them.

I'm happy to disagree with anyone, but I use packaging peanuts for slabbed books (with just a thin layer of bubble wrap around them to hold the cardboard sandwich together around the slab.

You guys use whatever you feel comfortable.

I understand.

That's very different than disagreeing with everyone.

:baiting:

10.0 (Trimming S.O.B.s)

9.8 (Ron Theda)

9.5 (GLCBrad for his attempt to bring this thread back on topic after a solid two pages of peanuts vs bubble wrap digression)

9.0 (people who use packing peanuts with no bubble wrap)

7.0 (Symbiotic/Future)

4.0 (Me for starting this thread)

10.0 (Trimming S.O.B.s)

9.8 (Ron Theda)

9.5 (GLCBrad for his attempt to bring this thread back on topic after a solid two pages of peanuts vs bubble wrap digression)

9.0 (people who use packing peanuts with no bubble wrap)

7.0 (Symbiotic/Future)

4.0 (Me for starting this thread)

Great point lol

What about the boardies who use packing peanuts? That mess gets everywhere.

:golfclap:

I pack with real peanuts. Sure it's more expensive but you get to snack while admiring your newly arrived comics.

charlie_brown.jpg.400x400_q85.jpg

lol

As far as trimming getting a 10.0, is that undisclosed trimming or all trimming?
It's worse than "bindery chip" restoration removal.

Nice. You just couldn't resist. meh

I was asking because some people don't mind trimming on books as long as they know it was trimmed before purchasing.