• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICLINK - The Final Countdown

128 posts in this topic

Question. . .

I've never bid in one of these auctions, but I am watching one item. I know every item is different, but do these auctions typically get "hot" over the last few days? I'm asking because this book has 20+ bids on it, and I know there are people looking for a copy.

typical CLINK auction

days 1-3 of auction see a good number of bidders cause that's the only way to track the auction. Dont assume a lot of early bidders equates to a lot of late bidders.

Last day of the auction there's a bump at the start as people start to put "real" bids in.

Last hour there's another bump as the last few serious bidders start to elbow each other.

Last minute you have those serious bidders put in their ACTUAL top dollar and we see the final total.

I've seen hot books with plenty of tracking bids and interest double in $$ in the last minute.

I wish when you sent them an email about a back cover scan they would respond to you...who wants to spend that kind of money seeing only half of the book...

Tell me about it.

The last 3 Clink auctions I've requested a back cover scan and received no response. I've e-mailed right after the auction begins to give them enough time and a couple of days before it ends. Nothing.

I'm like you: for the kind of money you have to spend to win anything, I'd like to not have any unpleasant surprises.

But then again, the way things have been selling lately on Clink, I guess they really don't need my bid either.

I email before they even start. I think I might send one a day till I get a reply...maybe that would get them going.

I am glad I am not the only one. Sometimes I feel like I am bugging the out of them. I typically ask for 4-6 scan per auction and If I don't get a scan I usually don't bid.

I won't be bidding if I don't get the scan.

Jeeze, I thought with these auctions being this late in the year the bidding would be a little less aggressive. I guess a bunch of people are skipping Christmas this year.

I think I'm getting auction fatigue.

It depends on what books you are after. There are some books in this auction that i have never seen in the assigned grade including a few of the one's mentioned by the OP. In fact ive seen more 'wow never seen that before' books and 'never seen his artwork for sale before' in this Comiclink auction than in the last say nearly 4 years. The reason i know that is because i have been keeping a record of all Comiclink auctions since January 2010 basically keeping a log of all the books that have appeared in their auctions. In this auction you have books that have appeared before but this time in a higher grade or books that have just not appeared at all. You therefore have to weigh up what is the probability of seeing the same book and when. When you have worked that out you then make your bids accordingly. I have been collecting long enough to know which books i might not see again for a while so i have placed high max bids in all of them. Unfortunately work commitments are taking me to Prague so i wont be back until after the auction to see what, if any, things i have won.

Question. . .

I've never bid in one of these auctions, but I am watching one item. I know every item is different, but do these auctions typically get "hot" over the last few days? I'm asking because this book has 20+ bids on it, and I know there are people looking for a copy.

I've seen hot books with plenty of tracking bids and interest double in $$ in the last minute.

Ive seen books double in the last 30 seconds. One book i was after went into such a bidding frenzy i thought my computer was going mad and the final price blew me out of the water.

Yup. I can't see spending big money without a bc scan.

Crazy that bc scans aren't provided at the outset.

But some will, and all the back cover can do is rule out a sale, not rule it in. Nobody decides to buy a book mostly because it has a beautiful back cover. I'm sure that's why they don't include them by default. It's also why I don't understand why many people think front and back covers should be graded equally--in actual realistic use, nobody places anywhere near as much value on the back as they do the front. Nor do the publishers expect it, which is why the back cover has a totally different purpose and design than the front.

But don't get me wrong--I ask for back cover scans on big books myself for the same reasons you do.

I've got tracking bids on 50 books, but am only planning on bidding on about 15 depending on where their price is on the last day...

right now here are their current bid by percentage of GPA.

60%

60%

11% hm there is hope!

12% hm more hope!

41%

23%

74% :o <-of course this is the one Im MOST interested in for the whole auction!

23%

14%

55%

62%

45%

42%

47%

I'm young so I'll save up and wait for the movie hype to end and a possible lull in the market and even perhaps for everyone to start retiring and selling everything off around the same time in 15-20 years if not sooner and probably fund someone's kid's college or inheritance.

I've said I wasn't going to participate in this month's auctions but if I manage to see something in my price range or value I'll probably toss in a bid but highly unlikely considering the current frenzy.

I'll probably just be a spectator which is almost as fun as bidding. It's fun to track them and It's cool to see how far some of these go and whether a new high or low or trend will occur. I'll never own some of these gems but I'm rooting for you guys and look forward to seeing some cool pickups on here when it's done. Just seems like such a long time to wait, I wish the auction was a 1 day thing. Why not just advertise the books for a month and then set a 1-3 day date where people can bid instead of doing this half month long bidding. Most of the relevant bidding happens in the last minute anyway. I could take a day off or grab some popcorn and beer and put it up on the projector. Tuesday Night CLink! They could hire a Nascar announcer or WSOP announcer to do play-by-play auction highlights and help enhance the excitement.

Comiclink is fascinating to me. To someone new as far as internet comic selling and buying goes, I quickly identified the key sites and rated them myself. Comiclink I scratched off quickly because of its website. But if everyone is using it regardless, maybe I should rethink it. For newbies, it looks like a hot mess though. Maybe its legacy is carrying it.

Comiclink is fascinating to me. To someone new as far as internet comic selling and buying goes, I quickly identified the key sites and rated them myself. Comiclink I scratched off quickly because of its website. But if everyone is using it regardless, maybe I should rethink it. For newbies, it looks like a hot mess though. Maybe its legacy is carrying it.

Clink regularly has a good selection of comics. Frankly, I think the problems with their website are overstated. This isn't rocket science, you see a book on your list, you look at the description and pics, and then you place your bid using whatever strategy you use (for me, I browse all the lots at the beginning of the auction, place low tracking bids, then at the end place my real bids just as the auctions close). The Clink sw is good enough, it lets me sort my auctions anyway I want (I usually do it by ending date/time), it lets me easily enter bids, and it lets me easily see whether I'm winning or losing. Not sure what else you need.

Question. . .

typical CLINK auction

days 1-3 of auction see a good number of bidders cause that's the only way to track the auction. Dont assume a lot of early bidders equates to a lot of late bidders.

Last day of the auction there's a bump at the start as people start to put "real" bids in.

Last hour there's another bump as the last few serious bidders start to elbow each other.

Last minute you have those serious bidders put in their ACTUAL top dollar and we see the final total.

This. I was bidding on a book earlier in the year. GPA was 1500. I put in a max bid of 1750 with 5 seconds to go. Final hammer... $3250.

Another less common pattern I have seen is books running up quickly and hitting FMV about a week before close and then staying at that price with no more bids.

I see your point. I think what put me off was the plethora of "pending" notices next to items in their version of the buy now category. Yes, the auction side of things looks better. Without the background knowledge of the site, the first impression isn't necessarily that flattering. But even popular sites have their quirks sometimes.

I see your point. I think what put me off was the plethora of "pending" notices next to items in their version of the buy now category. Yes, the auction side of things looks better. Without the background knowledge of the site, the first impression isn't necessarily that flattering. But even popular sites have their quirks sometimes.

'Sale pending' notes on the site are :tonofbricks:

Question. . .

typical CLINK auction

This. I was bidding on a book earlier in the year. GPA was 1500. I put in a max bid of 1750 with 5 seconds to go. Final hammer... $3250.

Another less common pattern I have seen is books running up quickly and hitting FMV about a week before close and then staying at that price with no more bids.

GPA isn't going to be too helpful on the book I'm watching. Last sale was in 2007, and the bidding is already over 2x that sale.

I've given up on the buy now side of clink. Sellers take forever to respond to offers, and often don't respond at all. But the auction site is good.

A lot of nice books in this months auction and I just put in a handful of bids and was immediately outbid.

Oh well...

There is one that I'm strongly considering but it sort of caught me at a bad time.

I've given up on the buy now side of clink. Sellers take forever to respond to offers, and often don't respond at all. But the auction site is good.

You should try bidding on my comics. :)

FYI: The "Pending" issues in the sale section are realized prices in recent auctions. I find it useful for getting an idea on popularity & likely price ranges to expect in upcoming auctions. There can be wild discrepancies but they can at least provide a reasonable expectation on sale prices.

This auction has so many great keys in it & unfortunately everyone seems to know about it.

I have interest in many of the offerings but not the funds to match all my interests. Some of my tracking bids for issues that I like but will probably not get because of the many other fans are:

Mystic Comics 10 (great cover)

Adventure 60 (always liked that Sandman cover)

The bound volumes for Spider-Man, Hulk & FF (actually have the high bid right this second for

the Hulk volume though I'm not thrilled about the trimmed tops but the

collection of issues is great)

Ones I definitely won't get but am drooling over are:

That Sig Series Star Wars 1 (great group of cast signatures)

Marvel Mystery 40 (one of my top 3 favorite Schomburg covers)

Hulk 1 (unrestored)

Action 8 ( very cool it's from Jerry Robinson's collection but I'm guessing we're not close to the reserve yet)

I'm also interested in the Tec 32s but the brittle pages totally scare me & I eventually would like a midgrade Daredevil 1 but I hate the discoloration on the 5.5 in the auction. There are also so many great OA pieces but prices are already getting high on most of the ones I'd like and there's still over a week left so they'll only get higher. Still there are so many other great comics I'm sure I'll get some solid bids on something, though the way it's going so far I'm not sure if I'll end up with anything this time out.

Good Luck to everyone with your bids!