• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICLINK - The Final Countdown

128 posts in this topic

Before I decided to start this thread I told a few fellow collectors of mine what I was going to do and they were a bit unsure if this was a good idea. They were of the opinion that some collectors take comic collecting seriously and would rather not have books that they might be after not highlighted for the collecting community. This is why we always get a 'Post your Comiclink Wins' AFTER the auction. Well I disagree because I think comic collecting should still be fun which is why many of us started collecting comics in the first place. I am going to post my top 3 books from each era from their auction starting this evening for al sorts of reasons. My top 3 from each era are:-

Golden Age

1.More Fun #55 - Most people will be aware this has a Spectre cover but what gets lost on some people is this is the First appearance of Dr Fate an original member of the JSA which makes this one of the most undervalued Golden Age book in my opinion. Being from the Detroit Trolley collection with White pages doesn't hurt either.

2.Action Comics #15 - Early Superman cover at a very respectable grade. .

3.Detective Comics #54 - I just love this cover and a grade of NM- makes it one of the top graded.

Silver Age

1.Strang Adventures #117 - 1st appearance of the Atomic Knights a group that definitely should have got their own series and easily the highest graded so far(and probably for a long while yet) and from the Bethlehem collection. I have never seen this book offered before so it will be very interesting to see where this one ends at.

2.Tales of Suspense #49 - Another seriously undervalued book that contains the 1st X-Men x-over and I believe the 1st Tales of The Watcher. A high grade of 9.6 and an old blue label will make the pressers keeping an eye on this.

3.Journey into Mystery #98 - One of my favourite JIm covers and an insane grade of 9.8.

Bronze Age

1. Batman #227 - Voted by CGC members as their favourite Adams cover and you can see why, a real classic. This copy is from the Oakland Collection and an old label(great for pressers) 9.6 with great registration this could end up having the most bids out of all the comics ive listed.

2.Green Lantern #76 - Considered by many(myself included) as the start of the Bronze Age so a must for any serious Bronze Age collector. Prices have cooled lately but being from the Pacific Coast collection which is in many collectors top 3 Pedigree collections with a grade of 9.4 and White Pages this one could buck the trend.

3. DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4 - Joint highest graded at 9.6 and the first of the 100 pagers with a great Wrightson cover. If a 9.8 were to surface it could fly.

Well there you have it my top picks for the Comiclink Featured Auction for a variety of reasons. I hope many of you post your top books in the same manner wether they be books you are bidding on them or not. If the artwork that I have my eye on flies past my max bid I may yet bid on some of these books myself.

Before I decided to start this thread I told a few fellow collectors of mine what I was going to do and they were a bit unsure if this was a good idea. They were of the opinion that some collectors take comic collecting seriously and would rather not have books that they might be after not highlighted for the collecting community. This is why we always get a 'Post your Comiclink Wins' AFTER the auction. Well I disagree because I think comic collecting should still be fun which is why many of us started collecting comics in the first place. I am going to post my top 3 books from each era from their auction starting this evening for al sorts of reasons. My top 3 from each era are:-

Golden Age

1.More Fun #55 - Most people will be aware this has a Spectre cover but what gets lost on some people is this is the First appearance of Dr Fate an original member of the JSA which makes this one of the most undervalued Golden Age book in my opinion. Being from the Detroit Trolley collection with White pages doesn't hurt either.

3.Detective Comics #54 - I just love this cover and a grade of NM- makes it one of the top graded.

Silver Age

1.Strang Adventures #117 - 1st appearance of the Atomic Knights a group that definitely should have got their own series and easily the highest graded so far(and probably for a long while yet) and from the Bethlehem collection. I have never seen this book offered before so it will be very interesting to see where this one ends at.

2.Tales of Suspense #49 - Another seriously undervalued book that contains the 1st X-Men x-over and I believe the 1st Tales of The Watcher. A high grade of 9.6 and an old blue label will make the pressers keeping an eye on this.

3.Journey into Mystery #98 - One of my favourite JIm covers and an insane grade of 9.8.

Bronze Age

1. Batman #227 - Voted by CGC members as their favourite Adams cover and you can see why, a real classic. This copy is from the Oakland Collection and an old label(great for pressers) 9.6 with great registration this could end up having the most bids out of all the comics ive listed.

2.Green Lantern #76 - Considered by many(myself included) as the start of the Bronze Age so a must for any serious Bronze Age collector. Prices have cooled lately but being from the Pacific Coast collection which is in many collectors top 3 Pedigree collections with a grade of 9.4 and White Pages this one could buck the trend.

3. DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4 - Joint highest graded at 9.6 and the first of the 100 pagers with a great Wrightson cover. If a 9.8 were to surface it could fly.

Well there you have it my top picks for the Comiclink Featured Auction for a variety of reasons. I hope many of you post your top books in the same manner wether they be books you are bidding on them or not. If the artwork that I have my eye on flies past my max bid I may yet bid on some of these books myself.

lol

Golden Age

Silver Age

Bronze Age

What piece of artwork are you bidding on?

I picked up the Strange Tales 110 in last month's auction. I thought I was going to stay out of CLink's listings this month but there are a couple of things that have my interest.

Let's see what happens.

Golden Age

Silver Age

Bronze Age

I no longer collect much DC, but your choices aren't bad. Some people don't like Tec #54 because they think it's a rip-off of Tec #33. It's definitely an attractive copy.

I might have considered bidding on the More Fun 55, but I think it has too much spine wear for a 7.5, and I don't like to bid on books that are over-graded because, more often than not, I'm bidding against people who buy the label rather than the book.

The Action #15 is definitely a respectable grade, but of the Actions in that range, I like the #29 better because I think the color scheme is interesting (though some might say garish) and because I don't care for the slight mis-cut on the #15.

Menace 11 (highest on census at 5.5!), one of those rare pre-code horror books that contains a first appearance of a character that survives today in the Marvel superhero universe.

Also, perhaps one of the most eye appealing covers of the entire Atlas era...and very difficult to find in any condition.

Some sweet mix of Bronze Silver and Gold. I like the Showcase 8 and the DC 100 pager 4.

But its still the Golden Age books that get me all hot and bothered the most.

Some nice classics here.

Action, Cap, Human Torch, Detective, Bats, Sups, WW and Whiz.

Love the Tec 54, one of my favorites. That one is even nicer than mine.