• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Annual #5 cover - not Frank Miller?

21 posts in this topic

Hola.

Not sure if this has been discussed somewhere - I did a search and didn't see it - but I was wondering about the original art for the cover of Captain America Annual #5, as seen here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/forsaledetails.asp?artid=407222

As you can see, the original art has been signed by Frank Miller. The Overstreet guide I believe also lists this as Miller pencils, as does the comics database and other sources.

However, Joe Rubinstein posted on The Inkwell Awards Facebook page today that this was actually drawn by Ed Hannigan, with Rubinstein himself on inks.

Obviously, this raises some question, like why did Miller sign it if that's the case? I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this cover, mainly just because I am curious. I'm sure the owner and potential future owners might be interested as well. hm

(For what it's worth, the Inkwell Awards is a great non-profit group dedicated to supporting inkers and getting them their due and is worth checking out for anyone interested in the underappreciated art of inking)

I do remember this debate floating around for a number of years. Because of the controversy, the asking price on this piece fluctuated wildly. The Donnelly's bought it and then had Miller sign it. They were convinced that Miller had actually drawn it and I believe they had Miller sign it to confirm. Why they were convinced that Miller had done it despite Rubinstein's comments that it was Hannigan, I'm not sure. You'd have to ask them.

I do remember this debate floating around for a number of years. Because of the controversy, the asking price on this piece fluctuated wildly. The Donnelly's bought it and then had Miller sign it. They were convinced that Miller had actually drawn it and I believe they had Miller sign it to confirm. Why they were convinced that Miller had done it despite Rubinstein's comments that it was Hannigan, I'm not sure. You'd have to ask them.

lol

I have no idea why they'd want it attributed to Miller instead of Hannigan either.

lol

Really.

I saw this cover at the 2009 SDCC Donnelley's booth while I happened to be discussing a potential commission with Joe Rubenstein. The piece was pitched (and priced) as Frank Miller pencils, so I mentioned to Joe who responded that he is certain it was Hannigan not Miller. To their credit, I note that the Donnelley priced this cover less than other Miller covers without disclosing any uncertainty. While I can't attest as to which side is correct, I'm just offering my past experience as a point of reference.

I saw this cover at the 2009 SDCC Donnelley's booth while I happened to be discussing a potential commission with Joe Rubenstein. The piece was pitched (and priced) as Frank Miller pencils, so I mentioned to Joe who responded that he is certain it was Hannigan not Miller. To their credit, I note that the Donnelley priced this cover less than other Miller covers without disclosing any uncertainty. While I can't attest as to which side is correct, I'm just offering my past experience as a point of reference.

Well it was priced less than other Miller covers, but how did that price compare to Hannigan covers? lol

Well...being the Donnelleys... it was priced lower at that moment in time. I'm sure if you would have looked again, or asked them about it later, it would've been priced higher... then lower...then higher...then lower...then...

There's something missing to Joe's story...like why he inked it with a Miller style. Or, it could be that Ed's rough was pretty tight, and Frank didn't do too much to change it. So it still was redrawn by Frank...and Frank got paid, but really....it's Ed's drawing.

That image is also pretty Vanilla, it has a pin up feel to it rather than a cover. That doesn't scream Miller to me. Given who owns it are we really expecting rock solid provenance to be disclosed? Hannigan is pretty active is he not, someone interested in this piece would do well to contract him.

2c

Well it was priced less than other Miller covers, but how did that price compare to Hannigan covers? lol

The Donnellys had it on Comic Link priced at $35000 only a few weeks ago. They are certainly not pricing this cover as a Hannigan cover these days. The Frank Miller signature on the bottom margin has increased the value of the cover by at least $30000.

The Donnellys had it on Comic Link priced at $35000 only a few weeks ago. They are certainly not pricing this cover as a Hannigan cover these days. The Frank Miller signature on the bottom margin has increased the value of the cover by at least $30000.

umm...only if it actually sells :baiting:

Hannigan is pretty active is he not, someone interested in this piece would do well to contract him.

Ed Hannigan has multiple sclerosis. I think the Heroes Initiative did some fundraising for his benefit within the last 3 years, so they'd possibly know how to contact him to substantiate the artwork.

Why did Frank Miller sign it if he didn't draw it?

Probably for the same reason Stan Lee signs anything put in front of him... possibly because celebrities sometimes are "heads down" and signing rapidly also some forget what they worked on so just sign nearly anything without questioning to keep the line moving.

Ed has a website through which he can be contacted:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/hannigan7/

Back in the day, when I used to get comics signed here and there, more than a few time an artists wouldn't sign a book because they said they hadn't worked on it. I think if you stuck a piece of art in front of an artist, the scrutiny would be even greater. My guess is that Miller had some involvement in the piece, just how much I don't know.

There was a post in the signature series section about a book Wrightson didn't want to sign because he didn't work on it. The person and his friend both couldn't believe he didn't recognize his own work were certain it was his style and insisted he sign it which he eventually did. Some online places credit Wrightson others Blevins. I asked Blevins and he confirmed he did the cover art.

Why did Frank Miller sign it if he didn't draw it?

Probably for the same reason Stan Lee signs anything put in front of him... possibly because celebrities sometimes are "heads down" and signing rapidly also some forget what they worked on so just sign nearly anything without questioning to keep the line moving.

I guess, you'd think he'd glance at the artwork though because he had to sign it outside the border.

It sure doesn't look like Miller's art, the hands especially.