• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Daredevil

75 posts in this topic

I think the Elektra/Kingpin/Bullseye saga from DD #168-181 is still tops for me, followed by Born Again (#227-233), then #182-191, then the non-Miller scripted #158-167 (#219 and #226 are also Miller scripted or co-scripted issues, for the OP's reference).

I love Born Again, but I feel like it peaked with the absolutely magnificent and perfect #227 and then went slightly downhill with each successive issue - I felt like the last couple of issues were pretty generic compared to what had just preceded them. DD #181 and #227 are Miller's two best scripted issues, but, you really have to read #168-#180 to get the full benefit of #181, and #228-233 to get the full benefit of #227. 2c

One of the best runs ever. Great stuff.

One of my favorite things bout the run was that, although it really is one long story, in almost every issue Miller gave you a real quick synopsis of everything leading up to whatever particular issue the reader was reading.

Anyone picking up a random issue for the first time was given the backstory up to that point. Something that you don't see nowadays (or in the past 20 years). You did not have to read the previous issue to know what was going on. You could jump on at any point and be (for the most part) caught up with the story.

I think the Elektra/Kingpin/Bullseye saga from DD #168-181 is still tops for me, followed by Born Again (#227-233), then #182-191, then the non-Miller scripted #158-167 (#219 and #226 are also Miller scripted or co-scripted issues, for the OP's reference).

I love Born Again, but I feel like it peaked with the absolutely magnificent and perfect #227 and then went slightly downhill with each successive issue - I felt like the last couple of issues were pretty generic compared to what had just preceded them. DD #181 and #227 are Miller's two best scripted issues, but, you really have to read #168-#180 to get the full benefit of #181, and #228-233 to get the full benefit of #227. 2c

I agree 100%

DD 158-191, then the born again run is fantastic stuff. I highly recommend picking the story up in whatever form you can get it. A must read.

In my opinion, argueably the best comic I have ever read is DD 181.

I was considering picking up the new Daredevil Omnibus reprinting the Frank Miller run, issues 158-191 but I honestly know almost nothing about these books. Is it a really good read? I've really never even gotten into anyting daredevil aside from the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb Daredevil Yellow.

So what's the consensus, this a good book to pop my DD cherry on or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks appreciate it.

Great stuff. Everyone should own it in one form or another.

I love Born Again, but I feel like it peaked with the absolutely magnificent and perfect #227 and then went slightly downhill with each successive issue - I felt like the last couple of issues were pretty generic compared to what had just preceded them... 2c

hm I thought 232-233 were a bit generic in how they ended it, I think even Mazz has kind of expressed this... but I thought 231 was where it peaked. Mazz's work in particular is astounding in that issue. And issue #230...The Ben Urich scene, his reaction on the phone, that nurse... geez, I can still picture those panels in my head....

And one of my favorites ever. The Russian Roulette story...

859545.jpg

"Nothing about it said gangster – until this.

It was a nice piece of work, Kingpin.

You shouldn't have signed it."

:cloud9:

hm I thought 232-233 were a bit generic in how they ended it, I think even Mazz has kind of expressed this... but I thought 231 was where it peaked. Mazz's work in particular is astounding in that issue. And issue #230...The Ben Urich scene, his reaction on the phone, that nurse... geez, I can still picture those panels in my head....

dd230p14.jpg

dd230p14.jpg

WHOA!

I was considering picking up the new Daredevil Omnibus reprinting the Frank Miller run, issues 158-191 but I honestly know almost nothing about these books. Is it a really good read? I've really never even gotten into anyting daredevil aside from the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb Daredevil Yellow.

So what's the consensus, this a good book to pop my DD cherry on or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks appreciate it.

One of best runs out of the BA and a personal favorite of mine from back in the day before I quit comics altogether. I always loved DD as teen, but will admit the character had always been 2nd tier at best. Miller's run elevated the title to another level and really introduced a gritty edginess that was distinctly missing from mainstream comics at the time. Without Miller's DD, there would not have been a Dark Knight Returns. Also, going from issue to issue, you'll quickly see of the Eisner influences come out of Miller's artwork as he matures.

I'm not a huge collector. I stick mainly with runs of early BA (Adams) Batman and Barry Smith Conans, but that's mainly just to keep myself from going buy-crazy. The DD Miller run is a series I am still seriously thinking about pursuing. I had almost all the issues in my collection before I sold it off. Would love to reacquire them again after 30+ years.

Actually, the run all the way through from 191 up to Born Again shouldn't be dismissed either. All very enjoyable books (that I picked up off the newsstand...boy, am I old).

You are not alone! :)

Speaking of books acquired off the newsstands...

I purchased all of these DD books from the spinner rack of a local store myself before I opened a comic file ( DD 184 was file obtained ).

At that time in the bullpen section there was a bulletin stating kids could mail their comics in to have their favorite artists sign books. I took a gamble, and sent my copy of 168 and 181 in hoping to get Frank Miller's signature. It took an extremely long time to get the books back, and I actually assumed them to be long gone and never to return. It was nearly a year later and I received a package from Mr. Frank Miller that contained both my books signed, a copy of his new series Ronin signed, and a letter that said:

"I am so sorry to have taken so long to get you your books back. You would not believe how many books I received to be signed and I had to take months off work to get them done. Please please don't send me anymore books. I have included a free copy of Ronin for you to enjoy in an effort to make good. Thank you for being a fan. Frank Miller"

All of that is long since gone, I wish I had kept the letter.

Daredevil was never my favourite character growing up.

It wasn't until AFTER I read Miller, Smith, Bendis, Brubaker and the subsequent runs that he BECAME my favourite.

His stories are consistently awesome. Run after run.

PICK UP THE MILLER OMNIBUS!

Actually, the run all the way through from 191 up to Born Again shouldn't be dismissed either. All very enjoyable books (that I picked up off the newsstand...boy, am I old).

I purchased all of these DD books from the spinner rack of a local store myself before I opened a comic file ( DD 184 was file obtained ).

At that time in the bullpen section there was a bulletin stating kids could mail their comics in to have their favorite artists sign books. I took a gamble, and sent my copy of 168 and 181 in hoping to get Frank Miller's signature. It took an extremely long time to get the books back, and I actually assumed them to be long gone and never to return. It was nearly a year later and I received a package from Mr. Frank Miller that contained both my books signed, a copy of his new series Ronin signed, and a letter that said:

"I am so sorry to have taken so long to get you your books back. You would not believe how many books I received to be signed and I had to take months off work to get them done. Please please don't send me anymore books. I have included a free copy of Ronin for you to enjoy in an effort to make good. Thank you for being a fan. Frank Miller"

:roflmao:

You can't go wrong with this series.

I am not sure we are old so much as very little compares to this era of comic book storywriting. Some series have been very good, but not much compares with this era for DD.

Wish we could get to this quality again soon. On the bright side, we have some amazing artists these days mostly on the DC side.