• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty DC's for 10/17/04 (B&B - Hawkman)

33 posts in this topic

here are my original purchase copies of the second tryout series for Hawkman in Brave and the Bold back in 1962. i liked these covers better than the first series, especially the grey-toned # 44. these are all raw at this point.

(you may note that Hawkman appears solo on the covers of all 3 of these issues unlike the first series, and he "earned" wings on his mask for issue # 43.

from the "Sid's Luncheonette" collection;

1096877355632_hawkman.jpg

1096666720767_hawkman_001.jpg

1099324208170_hawkman_002.jpg

Great books as always, BB. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif That B&B #42 is IMPOSSIBLE to find in NM or above.

too bad this one's not that nice. still, i can't complain.......... grin.gif

considering Hawkman was my fave, i'm surprised they don't look even more well-read..........

BTW tth2, what are some other notoriously difficult SA DC HG finds????

hawkman was my fave as well. Great raw books. thumbsup2.gif

I own the mohawk valley for #42 and even at 9.0 it is cloud9.gif

there is NOTHING wrong with books graded VF/NM IMHO.......i sold a couple of very nice early avengers to red hook and a couple of early spidey's to namisgr. they both seemed VERY happy with their affordable purchases.

i'm just a bit surprised how little activity DC scans generate. i'd hoped to generate some Hawkman related discussions, but alas - not to be........ frown.gif

You misunderstand me.........B&B is my number one collecting series and as such I collect in as high a grade as I can get (I have over 20 top census books under 100). The #42 only has a 9.2 as its' highest graded. This can be extremely frustrating...especially with the more obsure trials or those #27 and below.

As for Hawkman.........I could talk for hours about how important he was to me as a kid. I liked Batman....I liked the Flash.....I liked Superman but I loved Hawkman. The first thing that drew me in was his costume...always loved the winged cowl and the hawk beak. I still own the first book that I ever bought and it was Hawkman #4.(certainly not a high grade but it has been well loved).

Maybe it is just Hawkman, not DC that generates little heat. How many different times has DC tried to give this character his own book?

Attached is the First BB tryout. As I recall this one has more than a bit of restoration done to it.

624985-bb34.jpg.1af3c948990004a09345c5aee8d5af22.jpg

i'm just a bit surprised how little activity DC scans generate.

You're telling me! At various times I've posted scans of my Western Penn run of B&B 34-36 (1st Hawkman run), Western Penn run of Showcase 35 & 36 (2nd and 3rd appearances of Atom, I have a Showcase #34 in 9.4, but it's not Western Penn so I didn't post it frown.gif), and a GL #1, and there was almost no response.

Those are some great looking books.

I love B&B. Got every one. No way are mine as in good shape as yours. Bought um all as they came out.

B&B #51 Aquaman & Hawkman is one of my favorites.

As for grey tone covers, my fave is #18. I always liked SILENT KNIGHT stories and that issue has a great grey tone cover of the knight.

The CAVE CARSON books were pretty good to. I've got a killer looking #33 that could posibably grade at a 9.0 maybe higher.

And I'll throw this in...

My favorite Batman team-up comic is #93, Batman & The House Of Mystery issue. Very well put together story. Awesome Neal Adams work.

Shame there's not a lot of interest in B&B. I thought it was a great series. They should of never dropped it. If sales were low because of the team-ups they could of went back and made B&B a "intro type" comic again. But instead they dropped it for something that never caught on. And thats also a shame.

If B&B were around today I'd still be buying um.

I'm beginning to look forward to more of the "Sid's Luncheonette" collection!

I think it's really neat that you still associate your books with where you purchased them. I can still remember upon going through some of my books, the quaint little 5&10 drugstores and candyshops where they were bought. thumbsup2.gif

This B&B # 1 was sort of a throw in in the auction that I won from soethbys about 6 years ago. The main books were the showcase 8 and the Flash 105. I remember thinking how expensive it was with the buyers premium, sales tax and shipping it was about 35% more than the bid. about a year ago I got a partial refund due to a class action lawsuit over the shipping charges.

625144-bb1.jpg.cabce4dfe215edad8d0c1d4fb556e885.jpg

You misunderstand me.........B&B is my number one collecting series and as such I collect in as high a grade as I can get (I have over 20 top census books under 100). The #42 only has a 9.2 as its' highest graded. This can be extremely frustrating...especially with the more obsure trials or those #27 and below.

As for Hawkman.........I could talk for hours about how important he was to me as a kid. I liked Batman....I liked the Flash.....I liked Superman but I loved Hawkman. The first thing that drew me in was his costume...always loved the winged cowl and the hawk beak. I still own the first book that I ever bought and it was Hawkman #4.(certainly not a high grade but it has been well loved).

WOW - 20 of the top census books under #100 is VERY impressive, indeed. thumbsup2.gif

i have just about every issue, but my lower number one's are almost all low grade readers that i bought online over the past 2 years. i was a huge Silent Knight and Viking Prince fan. (did i tell you i loved Kubert's work??)

and i'm not sure if #44 is a kubert cover. (although OS refers to Hawkman by Kubert). the definition that he usually puts into muscles doesn't seem as apparent as was typical. anyone know for sure if the cover is Kubert???

Maybe it is just Hawkman, not DC that generates little heat. How many different times has DC tried to give this character his own book?

Attached is the First BB tryout. As I recall this one has more than a bit of restoration done to it.

after looking at it again, i can see where this cover placed second (to Flash #123) for the alley awards of 1961. beautiful Kubert work.......... thumbsup2.gif

i'm just a bit surprised how little activity DC scans generate.

You're telling me! At various times I've posted scans of my Western Penn run of B&B 34-36 (1st Hawkman run), Western Penn run of Showcase 35 & 36 (2nd and 3rd appearances of Atom, I have a Showcase #34 in 9.4, but it's not Western Penn so I didn't post it frown.gif), and a GL #1, and there was almost no response.

well post them again someday and i will appropriately fawn over them.......... grin.gif